Patch or Full Source -> Linux Kernel

Never mind the previous post. I found the bzImage file in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.18/arch/i386/boot directory! So now what do I do to extract the three files and update the LILO?

Errr... no

Now find where your vmlinuz file is located on mandrake that the kernel is booted from. If you can't find it, lilo.conf will say. rename that file and the "config" file to append .old. Then replace them with the new bzImage and config files (rename bzImage to vmlinuz). If there is a System.map replace that too. Then just type lilo and it should say "Added Linux *" aand then it should boot.

-Hatter

And if I'm not mistaken, I type the following commands after doing the stuff that you told me:

rm -rf linux

ln -s linux-2.4.18 linux

That's typed in the /usr/src of course! ;)

One last question for you before completing the update:

What is the other name for the config? I saw "defconfig" in my /arch/i386 folder, it has similar contents to the config file in the /boot, but is defconfig really the config file?

Ermm... I usually save my config file to a file in my ~ before making. Did you try doing a "make install" like DM said. I've never done it that way but it may work in mdk.

Silly me! I forgot to enable some of the configurations when I loaded the xconfig tool! :D I was wondering why the FAT32, network, sound, and USB devices weren't working and that was why. However, I did update the configuration, took the defconfig file, renamed it to config-2.4.18 since both files do match, then moved it to /boot. Even when doing that wouldn't work. The make install script did work actually, but I think I'll have to reload Linux because of the ridiculous mistake I did! OR is there a way to repair it?

In other words, restore the 2.4.3 kernel. However, it would be safe then to delete the linux-2.4.18 files! That should be easily accomplished since I still have my Linux boot disk that had the original kernel when I bought the Standard Edition of Linux-Mandrake 8.0. I also made myself a backup disk just in case.

Just in case if I forget, do I use the rm -f command for those three files in the /boot directory, remove the three files with the -2.4.18 extension, and then rename the .old files back to the original to make 2.4.3-20.mdk the default kernel?

Well, you can just reconfigure and remake the 2.4.18 kernel from the linux-2.4.18 directory and replace the files after. If you just want to go back to 2.4.3 just rename the .old files to their original names and run lilo. You don't need to delete the 2.4.18 directories unless you want to. Also remake the "linux" symlink in teh /usr/src dir to point ot linux-2.4.3.

Drat! I tried reconfiguring the kernel and still no luck! It keeps on saying that it can't find some of the devices, even when I enabled them in xconfig. How am I supposed to get these files working?!?! IF there isn't a way, then I'll just buy Mandrake 8.2! Although I can download it thanks to my high speed connection, I still declare full support for the Linux community. I'll be rebuilding my PC soon anyway since I'm going to get a GeForce video card!

Look for the original config file from your 2.4.3 kernel (should be in the same dir as vmlinuz) and load that into the kernel cofigurator. That will make sure you have all the same drivers.