Windows Media Encoder Keeps Crashing

i've used the media encoder multiple times for streaming and converting files with no issues so far. Maybe the AVI has a problem or you need to download the codec package to help out. I know I had crashed until I installed the codec package from M$

I managed to skirt the issue by doing a custom conversion and doing lossless compression for the audio/video. That did it without incident. After that I was able to then compress my wmv. Shotty way of doing it, but it'll be good enough.

I'm trying to convert an AVI into WMV, but everytime I try Windows Media Encoder crashes.? The avi plays fine, it isn't corrupt by any means.? This problem happends regardless of the output quality I choose.? Has anyone successfully used this free encoder?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...er/default.aspx

585454472[/snapback]

Interesting as I was trying to edit with Movie Maker for XP and that runt kept crashing. I uninstalled some 3rd party codecs I had downloaded and it then worked fine again. Maybe that could be the problem with enocder, maybe if you did add some 3rd party codecs remove em, reinstall encoder and see if it works from then on.

• 3 years later...

bumping this thread from years ago because I'm now having the same problem. the avi I am trying to convert into wmv (for my zune) is fine and plays in wmp fine. when I open up windows media encoder and select the file for conversion the program alerts me that it must shut down. I've tried converting a number of different avi files and all of them cause this error so I don't think the problem lies within the files I'm trying to convert. I've also tried converting it through a custom session and that doesn't work either. help! I'm starting to think that the saying "the easiest way to fix your zune problem is to get an ipod" saying is true. I hate the zune software and there are seemingly no programs available for download that convert video to wmv format. I don't think I'd complain so much if the zune software did it but it doesn't.