[NHL] Bettman to cancel 2004-05 season

players have 'till 11am to run their next proposal. I think Bettman thinks he'll get his way because apparently Goodnow is a good deadline negotatior and Bettman thinks he will cave in at the last minute. I dunno why Bettman didnt say yes to the last offer, sounds good to me

They are only $6.5 million dollars (per team) apart.

Let's get this done people!!! :angry:

If it doesn't then I totally blame Gary Bettman. 100%, no question, no ifs ands ors or buts.

players have 'till 11am to run their next proposal. I think Bettman thinks he'll get his way because apparently Goodnow is a good deadline negotatior and Bettman thinks he will cave in at the last minute. I dunno why Bettman didnt say yes to the last offer, sounds good to me

585481267[/snapback]

Doesn't sound that good to me. They're initial offer was 40 million. They were willing to compromise to the tune of 4 million with a 44 million dollar offer. The union wanted 50 and they went down to 49. I say meet at the middle with 45-46 and lets play some hockey.

585481267[/snapback]

Well, in the court of casual opinion, Bettman will be a genius regardless of the outcome now. He set a deadline (which nobody else did), he gave a day and a half notice, and if the players don't accept, it will look extremely bad for the players, not Bettman or the owners.

I was listening to KNBR last night and Tom Tolbert was talking to some guy from SI about this very thing. Basically, he said that both sides waited too long to make a move, that only in the past few weeks have any serious talks taken place, and that Bettman played his Ace by incorporating a deadline. The players could have done this as well, I think they just underestimated the impact this really had.

I think it's only fair: if the league does well, you as a player do well. This forces the product on the field (or ice, in this case) to play hard every night. The more I've read and heard the more I've taken the side of the owners because the players had it extremely easy...now they are just ****ed because they might actually have to play more than just the playoffs.

Well, in the court of casual opinion, Bettman will be a genius regardless of the outcome now. He set a deadline (which nobody else did), he gave a day and a half notice, and if the players don't accept, it will look extremely bad for the players, not Bettman or the owners.

585481346[/snapback]

I don't agree it all. The players seem to be making all of the serious concessions. 24% salary cut. Agreeing to a hard cap. If the season dies then it will seem like Bettman wanted the season to die so he can disband the NHL and remould a new league in his own image. Some say that that is his master plan.

I don't agree it all.  The players seem to be making all of the serious concessions.  24% salary cut.  Agreeing to a hard cap.  If the season dies then it will seem like Bettman wanted the season to die so he can disband the NHL and remould a new league in his own image. Some say that that is his master plan.

585481360[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised, but either way Bettman wins. If they union accepts the offer, he gets his cap and looks like a smart negotiator. If they don't, he'll only get a better deal next year because I really don't think he's going to give them as good a deal next year. Aslo, it makes the players look greedy. And, if the league really does disband and he creates a new one, well he wins there too. So no matter what happens, he wins.

Scott Morrison just said that some of the players feel that they've already surrendered on one knee and now Bettman wants them to surrender on both news (SportsNET)

Bill Watters' cell phone rang while he was on air and the ringer played the HNIC theme. :D

I don't agree it all.  The players seem to be making all of the serious concessions.  24% salary cut.  Agreeing to a hard cap.  If the season dies then it will seem like Bettman wanted the season to die so he can disband the NHL and remould a new league in his own image. Some say that that is his master plan.

585481360[/snapback]

You could be right, no question. Anything is possible.

But, I have a feeling that the public also hasn't been privy to about 85% of the details that have been thrown around through all of this. I can clearly see it from both sides...the owners are tired of having to cut checks to keep the league alive and the players are tired of the owners receiving any profit the league encounters.

Seems to me, though, like a bit of a contradiction from both sides ;)

Four more hours and we'll know. It's obvious both sides acted immaturely and were really passive up until the last minute.

Four more hours and we'll know. It's obvious both sides acted immaturely and were really passive up until the last minute.

585481461[/snapback]

Only one hour to go. Bettman wants a deal by 11am EST or the cancellation press conference goes aheat at 1pm EST.

Nick Kyprios is saying that the NHL will come up from 42.5 million to 44 or 44.5 million.

30 minutes everyone :s

You know what? I don't care about the NHL season anymore this year. I care about the drafts for next year. These young kids work their asses off and I want to see it actually pay off for them.

Let's get a resolotion together folks.

why doesn't the NHL just offer $46 million for the cap and do away with the "bonuses"? Owners can give out bonuses with the 24% roll back of the current salaries.

they really really need to go to binding arbitration. The players are going to get screwd here, i mean the owners are acting like they dont really care that much, and the players are freaking out trying to get things settled.

why doesn't the NHL just offer $46 million for the cap and do away with the "bonuses"?  Owners can give out bonuses with the 24% roll back of the current salaries.

585481647[/snapback]

Owners need to be protected against their own stupidity. Without a limit on bonuses then the NYR would offer a player two million to play hockey and eight million in bonuses.

Owners need to be protected against their own stupidity.  Without a limit on bonuses then the NYR would offer a player two million to play hockey and eight million in bonuses.

585481658[/snapback]

lol@The Rangers.. :p

Go Isles! :ninja:

I hope there is some miracle and the rest of the season is saved... So much damage done to not only the owners, but the players (cause the owners won't be able to afford a higher offer)

And nevermind the fact that the fans... who put those $ in the owners and players pockets are going to be pretty ****ed off...

mhmm.. so what happened its past 11 now?...

585481762[/snapback]

11am was an arbitrary deadline set by Gary Bettman. I guess Bettman wanted time to prepare for the press conference at 1pm EST.

However, since 11am came and went some are saying (Headline Sports) that the season is now done. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if Bob wouldn't want to make Gary Bettman squirm at the very last minute.

11am was an arbitrary deadline set by Gary Bettman.  I guess Bettman wanted time to prepare for the press conference at 1pm EST.

However, since 11am came and went some are saying (Headline Sports) that the season is now done.  We'll see.  I wouldn't be surprised if Bob wouldn't want to make Gary Bettman squirm at the very last minute.

585481777[/snapback]

thx... stupid nhl i really wish they would come to a deal... over 6.5 million after all that 6.5 million is gonna cause it to be a cancelled season...

thx... stupid nhl i really wish they would come to a deal... over 6.5 million after all that 6.5 million is gonna cause it to be a cancelled season...

585481795[/snapback]

US$6.5 million * 30 teams * = US$195 million

US$195 million * 6 years = US$1.170 billion

Essentially, the two sides are NOT that close (over a billion dollars apart over the length of the contract).

its about time it got canceled. i guess the NJ Devils get to keep the cup for another year.?:DD?:D:D:D :D:D :D

585481848[/snapback]

didnt tampa bay win the cup? so they get to keep it not the devils

US$6.5 million * 30 teams * = US$195 million

US$195 million * 6 years = US$1.170 billion

Essentially, the two sides are NOT that close (over a billion dollars apart over the length of the contract).

585481810[/snapback]

yea i noticed that once i posted.... :wacko: