[NHL] Bettman to cancel 2004-05 season

True, but you never know. I'm not going to totally give up hope untill it's been a day or two.

585482659[/snapback]

Unless Bob agrees to a deal before his 4pm press conference in Toronto then I think it's dead until this time next year.

Or perhaps the season will start with replacement players. Gary said there would be NHL hockey in 30 cities next year.

If they do use replacement players it will go down worse in Canada than the NFL's move in the USA (given our cultural differences).

Unless Bob agrees to a deal before his 4pm press conference in Toronto then I think it's dead until this time next year.

585482677[/snapback]

I hate to burst your bubble Fred but unless the PA completely folds under the pressure and takes the $42.5 million dollar cap and not a new deal, the season is OVER!

I hate to burst your bubble Fred but unless the PA completely folds under the pressure and takes the $42.5 million dollar cap and not a new deal, the season is OVER!

585482696[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it is likely only that it is possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it is likely only that it is possible.

585482702[/snapback]

Call me a pesamist but I think that it is naive to think that there will be an NHL this season.

Call me a pesamist but I think that it is naive to think that there will be an NHL this season.

585482710[/snapback]

You keep putting words in my mouth. I never said that I thought there would be an NHL this season. :rolleyes:

You keep putting words in my mouth.  I never said that I thought there would be an NHL this season. :rolleyes:

585482728[/snapback]

I did not mean to direct it neccessarily at you but anyone who still thinks there will be a season is naive. Especially since Bettman just told TSN that all deals are off the table.

who is in charge of Bettman? whoever it is should can his ass, even if the season were to start, i dont think Bettman is good for any PR beyond the lockout

585482768[/snapback]

The owners of the teams hold the power to fire Bettman. It would take 16 of 30 team owners to vote in favour of firing Bettman.

who is in charge of Bettman? whoever it is should can his ass, even if the season were to start, i dont think Bettman is good for any PR beyond the lockout

585482768[/snapback]

the nhl board of governors...[aka owners?]

''The National Hockey League Board of Governors fully supports and endorses the action taken on its behalf today by Commissioner Gary Bettman. This action was not taken lightly, but the Union left us no choice. For several years, Commissioner Bettman has pursued every possible option on our behalf to prevent a decision of this magnitude from becoming necessary.

Source

In most cases this would be funny but not in the event of the death of hockey. :no:

585482993[/snapback]

Dude, it's not the death of hockey, just the 2004-2005 NHL season. I'm quite content watching my London Knights (who are a part of the OHL which is in the CHL) every week at the JLC here in my hometown to a sellout crowd of nearly 10,000 screaming HOCKEY fans.

http://www.londonknights.com

http://www.johnlabattcentre.com

I can't believe they didn't come to a deal after being that close.... I'm just.... just... speechless :o

585483043[/snapback]

As Bettman said though, they weren't actually that close. They were $6.5 million apart per team.

6.5 X 30 = 195

That means they were nearly $200 million apart plus the small print which wasn't well talked about. The PA offer had a minimum cap at $25 million whereas the owners didn't have one. Secondly, the PA's offer had a clause where twice in six years the teams could go over the cap by 10%. That makes their cap $55 million. There was a 150% tax on overage here but still the league did not like this.

Basically what I am saying is in actual fact they were never that close.

@ NFC: I fear that with the end of this season that we will consequently lose next year. If that happens, where does it end. I think that if we lose next year the NHL is dead.

On the bright side I do enjoy the OHL. I follow my local team of the Ice Dogs. It is entertaining hockey but if these youngsters know that the season might be cancelled next year they may do what Sidney Crosby plans on doing which is go overseas to Europe.

What the NHL needs to do is to cut the league by 5 or 10 teams. This will do a few important things. First, it will get some of the financially insecure teams out of the league and it will concentrate the NHL talent to fewer teams. Right now there are too many teams and there are too many minor league caliber players in the NHL.

What the NHL needs to do is to cut the league by 5 or 10 teams.  This will do a few important things.  First, it will get some of the financially insecure teams out of the league and it will concentrate the NHL talent to fewer teams.  Right now there are too many teams and there are too many minor league caliber players in the NHL.

585483159[/snapback]

Could not agree anymore. Excellent post man. If we lose some of the teams in markets which do not care (ie: Nashville, Carolina, Anaheim, etc) the talent level on the remaining teams would increase. This is one of my favourite solutions to making to game more financially stable as well as more exciting.

Good post imtoomuch. (Y)