98 on an AMD 64 stable?

omg, people waste their posts on why they guy shouldn't put 98 on a 64bit setup. He wants to do it and has specific question in that regard. JUST ANSWER HIS QUESTION..sheesh. :laugh:

I have Windows Me running my setup, I have to use it upgrade to a japanese copy of XP for my wife. Let me mention that I multiboot my system. Basically there are updates from MS for Me. Those updates should work on 98 as well. Games run much better on Me than XP, but XP is a much better OS. So in short, it is possible to install and run 98 on a 64bit setup. Just make certain your total ddr is 512 or less when you attempt to install, after that it will handle above 512mb with no problem...at least that's what I've found with Me.

Don't forget the most important point, ms doesn't release hotfixes anymore, high security problem!

second point, Windows 98 is based on 16 bit code wich is very unstable and unreliable.

3rd point if you don't like xp try windows 2000 wich is also very light os and very stable and reliable and all software will work.

And remember most software will not work on windows 98.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for writing in so old topic, but I had the same idea... I know this is a kind of suicide, install win98 on AMD64... but I wanna do it. My vision is a little different, I wish to have on my computer win98, win2000, winXP and Linux.

Shortly: on my disc, on the only partition FAT32, I installed win98, of course on AMD64, and... PC booted disc, found Windows, boots Windows... and this is the end, it suddenly stops working. I thought this is the reason of 64bit procesor, but is there any way to boot win98 on this computer?

And please, don't say "this is waste of time", "win98 is a s**t" and anything similar. Just tips how to do it.

For Windows 98 to suddenly stop working sounds like normal operation if I remember correctly. Dive into Windows NT4 and at least you'll have a stable system.

And stop resurrecting threads from the dead.

Sorry for writing in so old topic, but I had the same idea... I know this is a kind of suicide, install win98 on AMD64... but I wanna do it. My vision is a little different, I wish to have on my computer win98, win2000, winXP and Linux.

Shortly: on my disc, on the only partition FAT32, I installed win98, of course on AMD64, and... PC booted disc, found Windows, boots Windows... and this is the end, it suddenly stops working. I thought this is the reason of 64bit procesor, but is there any way to boot win98 on this computer?

And please, don't say "this is waste of time", "win98 is a s**t" and anything similar. Just tips how to do it.

If you want an operating system with a small footprint and few features, just install Windows 2000. Or purchase and configure a copy of x86 WindowsPE.

Mhmm, sorry for a long time to reply, but I was somewhere without computer ;)

Well, I spent more time on testing what happens with that computer, AMD64 Athlon 3000+, 1024 DDR, ASUS (I don't know which ASUS, there is no an information on board, and PC should tell me what is it while booting... but it doesn't work, and I coldn't make it work)... And on that computer, hadn't run any other windows, just XP. I tried boot win95, win98, win2000 and win Millenium, and they don't want to run installer :/ I thought about new/old BIOS, but it is just a thought...

Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Lastboy,

Please stop resurrecting old threads. 64-bit OSes started with XP in 2001, then onward came the newer desktop/server OSes. Microsoft is NOT going back in time, period.

I'm gonna request that a mod lock this thread if it goes on and on.

Would someone mind to explain what windows 98 and this windows 95 things are? Is like new operating system like Microsoft windows vista??

Please! Please tell me more!

Would someone mind to explain what windows 98 and this windows 95 things are? Is like new operating system like Microsoft windows vista??

Please! Please tell me more!

Please tell me your joking..

Lastboy,

Please stop resurrecting old threads. 64-bit OSes started with XP in 2001, then onward came the newer desktop/server OSes. Microsoft is NOT going back in time, period.

I'm gonna request that a mod lock this thread if it goes on and on.

I know I'm just nit-picking here, so my apologies, but I want to clarify - XP x64 was not the first 64bit OS, nor was it released in 2001 (XP 32bit was, but the 64bit version didn't come out until several years later, April 2005).

Technically the first "64bit" OS's existed in the 1960's when the first 64bit CPU's were made.

Damn, Who still uses 95-Me anymore?

The other day, I found a P2 W/ Win95 with a 15in LCD, and I left it at work. I'm going to bring a keyboard some power cables to test it out!

Well i tried ti install windows 98se in my toilet but long and behold 2 mins after it booted up for the first time it had a system Kernal error and well what ya know the toilet got backed up and flooded the entire house with Crap Crap Crap everywhere omg it was Awful

ha ha ha