Would you change to linux?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you change to linux?

• Definitely not
    • Definitely with certain fixes to linux
    • Maybe with fixes
    • I'm already a linux user

wtf is the choices?

Definitely not. Viruses and Spyware makes me happy in the pants!

Sure, if they worked on some stuff(list please).

thats the most dumbest choices...this could've been a really good poll.

add more smarter options like "I would switch so less updates"

"I would switch so i can get away from the viruses/spy/adware"

anyways, i want to switch RIGHT NOW.

and i would right now, but i need microsoft word badly, and i cant use openoffice its spellcheck, and everything is isn't as good as micro's so thats the only thing keeping me back..

wtf is the choices?

Definitely not. Viruses and Spyware makes me happy in the pants!

Sure, if they worked on some stuff(list please).

thats the most dumbest choices...this could've been a really good poll.

add more smarter options like "I would switch so less updates"

"I would switch so i can get away from the viruses/spy/adware"

anyways,  i want to switch RIGHT NOW.

and i would right  now, but i need microsoft word badly, and i cant use openoffice its spellcheck, and everything is isn't as good as micro's so thats the only thing keeping me back..

585537915[/snapback]

If you need MS Office then get CrossOver Office:

http://www.codeweavers.com/

I would also encourage you to take a look at OOo 2.0 coming out in the spring.

Maybe a moderator could change the choices to

Definitely not.

Definitely with certain fixes to linux.

Maybe with fixes.

I'm already a linux user.

Or something along those lines. Thanks.

Definitely not.

Maybe with fixes.

585537935[/snapback]

definetly,the poll is intended to give good results in favour of linux,not windows

Definitely not.

Maybe with fixes.

585537935[/snapback]

Poll edited.

nothing,linux is too boring for me,i ain't a uber-geek

prefer the imperfect windows and all their problems

585537932[/snapback]

With a response like that I'm debating whether or not you've ever even seen linux. If you did, you'd realize how much more boring windows is.

Windows = EasyMac Mac n Cheese

Linux = Homemade Mac n Cheese

Might be harder to make happen, but it pays in the long run.

already a user...I switched because I always was working on windows machines, and quite franctly was sick of dealing with the dumb things that were set up properly but wouldn't work, or they would work, then stop for no reason, or wouldn't work, then after trying to figure out the problem, but ultimately doing nothing, it would work.

Windows has far too many issues with itself that if you could just do it manually you could get it to work. Linux you can easily set everything up the way you need it to be. It's very, very refreshing after dealing with thousands of windows machines not working for dumb reasons (or no reason at all).

Over the years I've found linux to mature very well and I actually consider it superior in every way to windows except for gaming

I will switch if...

...a range of apps that really can compete with Windows or OsX equivalents (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, QuarkXpress, etc). Lets be honest, no *nix app can compete with those (And please, dont even mention the gimp).

...a clean w32 API integration (Im sure this is going to happen via WINE, but not yet).

...easier interaction. Im not unaware of Linux. I use it, not full time, but I use it and I know how to. However, 95% of the market (this include professionals) doesnt want to use the command line, let alone compile and make installers.

Wine is quickly maturing and I run Photoshop CS flawlessly through it now. Same with illustrator. Now that you mentioin it, I haven't tried Dreamweaver MX, but 99% of the time I edit code with notepad.

Null vote.

I would change to linux if my machine was a better spec

585537975[/snapback]

Umm...that's one of the major advantages of linux. It works great on slow machines. My linux box right now is an 800mhz amd with 256 megs pc133 ram, tnt2 video card and onboard sound. It's running vectorlinux with kde and a samba server (in constant use) flawlessly. I really haven't seen any more lag than my 2700+ with a gig ram, radeon 9800 pro in my windows box (or even using the same machine for linux, which I used to do).

Specs are pretty meaningless when it comes to linux, which is one of the reasons a lot of people start using it.

Null vote.

I would change to linux if my machine was a better spec

585537975[/snapback]

Linux actually runs better than windows. All of my friends that can't run XP run linux because it's what works for them.

My gf's pc (p3 450mhz, 512mb ram) can't run XP. Runs linux great.

I use Linux (specifically Xandros) as my primary desktop OS now on this machine. I still dual boot with XP to play games on XP. So I've switch--about 60%-70% of the way, anyhow. Does that still count? :p

I would switch if:

-Almost everything worked right when you plug it in, and if it didn't, with minimal effort

-There was a real selection of games

-I don't have to go through system configuration files to get certain things working

-People stopped trying to convert everybody else to their "superior" OS/browser/broccoli

I would switch if:

-Almost everything worked right when you plug it in, and if it didn't, with minimal effort

-There was a real selection of games

-I don't have to go through system configuration files to get certain things working

-People stopped trying to convert everybody else to their "superior" OS/browser/broccoli

585538081[/snapback]

Weird. I built my pc, with a Logitech MX1000, Dinovo keyboard. Installed SuSE 9.2, installed HL2, was playing CS:S within 2 hours of pulling the parts out of the box.

Maybe you just don't know enough about computers? I might be wrong.

No one is trying to convert anyone here. I'm just curious.