Windows XP Worth it? Or Windows 2000

I love Windows XP Pro, esp. if you got a free legal copy and bought another won under academic license. Although 2000 ran better on my laptop, faster, and less heat up than XP. Ehh, who cares, I'm still using XP.

Although I doubt I'll be able to run longhorn or blackcomb on my current system.

Win XP was great from the start...the RC1 and RC2 builds were great. The final code was even better! It was good enough that I purchased it on the launch date :D

Originally posted by zivan56

I would never use XP again, it runs 50% slower than Windows 2000, and I dont use the themes so there is no point for xp for me.

Show me hard benchmarks.

Originally posted by kxgard3

XP Pro is the only way to go. end of story.

Is it? I believe Windows 2000 is another route, and a good route too.

I say go with 2000. I had many many problems with XP on my system (constant BSOD's) and when i formatted and threw 2k on all my problems went away. No doubt XP is a good OS but it has a LONG LONG way to go before it will be as good as win 2k. And OSMAN people have been pirating windows for years and trust me it won't kill microsoft. Nothing will.

It would be hardware that constantly crashed XP. XP doesn't really crash and in fact after RC1, it never crashed for me. Unless it is your illegal software that is causing it...:)

I switched back to win2000 after having XP for a while. I felt like I needed a system thats been out for a while, has bugs etc worked out, (service packs) is the king of stability and does what I want it to do without all the bloat-ness. (no thats not a word) So Im happy running my win2k again

2000 for now. I love XP, but I'll wait a bit ( hmm...around SP2:ditsy: ) before I switch over permanently.

I don't really how people can say 2k is better. I mean, if you don't like the look, just disable it. At least you have more choices.

besides, XP, for some unknown reason, feels more solid than 2k.

[edit]

actually, maybe it's the theme I am running, lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone here is crazy.

XP is too bloated to be any good. I have ran it for 3-4 months now and have had to re-format about every month, because of hardware mishaps. Software problems and XP just fcking up again.

I am going back to 2kwithSP3, I love themes but I want a stable system.

if you have the right hardware and software, i'll recommend you to go with XP..........It's really good, very customizable and has everything 2000 has.......and more...........!! that's IMO

Originally posted by 3dfx

Windows XP is great, but with a 3dfx card it sucks, well, finally im gonna get an nVidia card on monday... w00t :devious:

If your still using 3dfx then win 3.1 is the best for you

but as to the post winxp i find is just fine and runs stable as hell

(working on a uptime of 1 month now)

xp is great, fast, nice looking, but less stable.

for me even less stable fact doesn't stop me from using xp, but for proffesional use i'd stick with w2k

Ive been using xp for a few months now but it does crash more often then i would like it to. Also the 1.5gigs it takes up is too much for mah 8gig harddrive.

im thinking of using win2000 instead wif its stability and all. but will 2000 cut it for games. i know they say its not designed for games but ive heard ppl say it works just fine for games.

So does win2000 run games up to XPs standard at least as in like compatibility and stuff? With the sp2 that is.

thanks

I find with XP's new improvements to the user interface, like the buttons that expand from the taskbar, and the new start menu, I can work much faster than I could with windows 2000.

Plus, if u have a decent PC, you wont notice the slight speed difference with 2000.

And actually, since I got my Athlon XP and GeForce 4400 card, my PC has not crashed once, nor had any of those graphics loops than NVIDIA Cards often have :)

Im a happy bunny :) XP rules!

Each has pluses and minuses, overall, both are equal where it counts.

Both run well on modern systems.

Both run current software.

Both are stable.

Xp is prettier.

I found Windows 2000 to be great before xp came out - way better than 98 / ME.

However, for me 2000 had issues with my mouse and so the pointer was going insane.

XP Pro is much better for me - only crashed a few times. XP has a lot of great new features - which means there's more to go wrong - but that seems fair enough :-)

Basically if you can't afford xp don't upgrade - esp since you can get skining prog's to make it look more like xp if you want a shiny shiny OS......

.o(WHY is it that people with XP want to msstyles to change the look - and people with pre-xp windows want theirs to look like the default Luna theme :ditsy: ?

if you can afford it tho make sure you have some decent amount of RAM esp 256mb+ (wish i had 512mb :evil: )