• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Does drinking water really help your brain?

DerkPY    0

The brain has two site which are linked together with a cortex thing. This cortex can become cover with mucas, which is bad. Water clears this. The average human should consume about 2 litres of water every day.

Drinking water is supposed to increase concentration and make you more alert and can increase brain capasity. But is this all true?

Brain.jpg

thingsforjason    0

um......yes

nemo    0

yeah i would assume soo.. it helps the rest of your body, your organs, your skin... everything...keeps you hydradted... wouldn't see why it wouldn't help your brain...

Tai    17

yes.. probably more so that red bull (which my parents banned me from drinking now)

made me a bit :paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid:

"Drink water, and huggle a kitty"...

Tai's advice for healthy living from the book of Tai...12.34.22..:p

Elliot B.    1,795

It's a shame I don't like water :( Any alternatives?!

Dazzla    5

Actually, one of the people who won Who wants to be a millionnaire in the UK, didn't touch her water on what she said were scientific grounds. In the paper the next day, it was said that water can swell the brain during intense periods of thinking and should be avoided :ponder:

Deryck    0

Drink plenty as you have to eradicate several substances (such as salts, ions, urea etc.) that can slowly poison your body. In addition, you feel better as well.

DerkPY    0
Originally posted by King Mustard

It's a shame I don't like water :( Any alternatives?!

Whats there not to like?

Tim Dorr    0
Originally posted by PigeonHead

Whats there not to like?

The ICKY and bland taste?

DerkPY    0

You can buy flavoured water. The taste also depents on were you live. Different places have different tastes. I live about an hours drive from a resevoir, so the water I get taste fresh. But if you live in London for example, which is miles away from were I live the water will taste different.

Deryck    0

I think it is the hardness of the water that determines the taste. Anyway, what about milk? Mostly made up of water but fat is an issue. Or try squash, you know, the the thick liquid that you pur in small quantities into a tumbler and add water to it. Refreshing.

noll3095    0
Originally posted by timdorr

The ICKY and bland taste?

Have you tried distilled water? It has no taste to me. Plus I love Dasani's taste.

postertoad    0

H20 is tasteless and oderless. Your senses are picking up additives [flouride], as well as minerals and such. Yes you need lots of water. Not only for flushing stuff out but because its a primary source of H+, which you need LOTS of. To think you need energy which comes from the generation of ATP which occurs thru a proton [H+] gradient. Do ya really need a biology lesson? :cheeky:

DerkPY    0

English water is full of 'added extras' you can see it floating about in the water, calcium and all that stuff. Either that or my water is unhealthy. That resouvoir used to be a village until someone flooded it. So it probably has bits of dead people in it, coz there was mostlikely a grave yard there.

'Shudder'

Deryck    0

The calcium and other elements within the water would make up the hardness of the water. Where I am, the water is very hard it is said that hard water is better for individuals to drink as it provides certain lelments that are used by the body.

postertoad    0

That what she said ;)

Obraxis    1

The water at Derwent water has to go through processing before u get it through the tap ;)

Tobbe    0

Yes

altezza    0
Originally posted by Dazzla

Actually, one of the people who won Who wants to be a millionnaire in the UK, didn't touch her water on what she said were scientific grounds. In the paper the next day, it was said that water can swell the brain during intense periods of thinking and should be avoided :ponder:

I thought that drinking water is making more concentration on the brain. I am not sure what you said in the TV show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" that water can swell the concentration in the brain, but drinking water helps the contestant to drive out of stress because the deeper they think the more stress generated inside the brain. Drinking water helps to ease out the stress, therefore it also helps them to concentrate more.

Drinking water is not just helping the brain.....it does help your body metabolism too. It is must be consumed for those who suffer dehydration (is it the correct spelling?) frequently.

I think I receive one email from my friend before that drinking water have been proven for any disease treatments. This email was written by a doctor in India. I just wondering if someone have been reading it. I found out that his theory were true, on one occassion I have bad cold. By drinking 3-4 glass of water every morning it does cure my cold. It's true! ;)

Really interesting topic I have just discussed ;)

I want to hear anyone comments about what I just said. I really like to hear responses :)