• McAfee Firewall
    • Zone Alarm (Pro)
    • Sygate Firewall
    • Outpost
    • Any *nix solution
    • Windows XP Built-In
    • Other

Question

i'm so sick of these threads poping up every single week. so here's the one and only thread you should need untill the end of your life. moderator can modify poll entries to update.

BEST FIREWALL

Is there really a need to run a software firewall if you got a router firewall? I do have the option for 1 free year with McAfee firewall via Comcast but if I'm behind a router then I don't need it, right?

its not needed but some routers.. like my linksys doesnt block outgoing traffic or at least monitor it .. which is why i use outpost firewall to block certain software from going online without me knowing

I've been using zonealarm for a long but with my latest installation i decided to try a few others out and ended up with Sygate. Its not free but I like it a lot more then zonealarm.

Is that a fact or can you prove it too? Or are you just one of those people who hate everything that Microsoft does?

BTW, I'm not trying to start flamewar.

The built in XP Firewall (ICF) only stops incoming traffic...

Doesnt stop outbound, so any dodgy software can phone home un-impeded.. :angry:

Maybe thats what Bill Gates and his band of Merry Men had in mind when they designed it? :crazy:

Is that a fact or can you prove it too? Or are you just one of those people who hate everything that Microsoft does?

BTW, I'm not trying to start flamewar.

If you read Microsoft's own statements, they confirm that ICF is not a very good firewall, and they recommend using other products.

Because i was so confused by latest version of Kerio, i decided to try again new Tiny Firewall now in version 5.5.1288

I was like WoW , o_O ... they improved overall to something what make Kerio PF big laughly nothing ...

Tiny Firewall allows complete control over any application or process and when i mean complete, it is complete ...

also because of that poll need update, Kerio and Tiny are now totally different products ...

TF rox ...

It happened maybe 6 months ago or so...

A few links:

http://www.linuxworld.com/story/33969_p.htm

http://www.varlinux.org/vl/html/modules/st...hp?storyid=3042

These reports have links that point to original stories where Microsoft recommends using ICF, but also states that users need to buy/use other protection such as hardware or other software.

The built in XP Firewall (ICF) only stops incoming traffic...

Doesnt stop outbound, so any dodgy software can phone home un-impeded.. :angry:

Maybe thats what Bill Gates and his band of Merry Men had in mind when they designed it? :crazy:

Yeah, gates and co just love the popularity they get from things like the blaster worm and have actually designed xp to secretly leech consumer info without their knowledge. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, if MS had made the ICF a robust top of the line firewall, the government and all the firewall companies would be screaming bloody murder about monopolistic behavior. Just be glad its there as an option...and a very valid option as long as you dont download/install anything stupid...which would be your fault not MS's

The ICF firewall isn't very good because it isn't updated as often as other firewalls. I don't blame them for not making one as good as ZoneAlarm or Norton, it isn't really their responsibility. I really do think it is just something to add to a checklist. They didn't purposly make it vulnerable or incomplete, that is just how it is. If you don't like it, use a different firewall.

ICF achieves the status of "better than nothing".

= a lot of pain for some.

Running 2 software firewalls is usually a bad idea, but if it works for you then great! Nice to have ZAP do the firewalling while BlackIce privides an IDS.

I've been using the filewall in trend micro internet secuirity 2004

I map ports in it correctly(well they're correct according to trend micro)

and it still blocks file sends like ones in msn messenger

Yahoo and ICQ

so what firewall would be good to use that would allow to send files on IM proggies?

Most of the time either the firewall is configured incorrectly or the program is just one of those programs that likes to listen on all ports (making it impossible to get it to work with a firewall).

Personally I use Look 'n' Stop - it's lightweight on resources, small download (around 500k), has superior outbound protection (from firewalls I tried) and it works for me. My second choice would be Tiny 5.5 - takes time to configure and learn how it works, but if you're willing to learn nothing can beat it IMO.

if MS had made the ICF a robust top of the line firewall, the government and all the firewall companies would be screaming bloody murder about monopolistic behavior

so true...

it's good someone makes a point contrary to the almost cliche anti-microsoft arguments dominating every discussion

sygate. zonealarm game me some headaches and kerio was much better, but not as good as sygate

sygate + kaspersky antivirus = finally a great combo for my pc

"sygate + kaspersky antivirus = finally a great combo for my pc "

I thort the same thing, but after running it for about a week I found Kapersky freaked out too much for me...every time I ran Spyware/Adware Remover & Registry Healer (2 programs that have served me well for over a year) Kapersky sucked up 100% CPU for some reason almost locking up WinXP Pro! :blink:

Sygate is probably the best Firewall bar-none, but I found it a little too tough to run with the same security settings I was getting from Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro...

So after checking out Norton Firewall (which I was replacing after 2+ years), Kerio, Tiny Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm ( :wacko: ) and Sygate I settled with Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro which seems to be the best IMHO! :cool:

I also settled on McAfee Viruscan Enterprise as the best by far compared to Norton Corp., Kapersky, AVG 7 Pro, Bit-Defender & Panda Titanium...I didn't try NOD32 cause I have several machines and it seems you need a separate license that has to be renewed for each machine each year (McAfee Enterprise has a perpetual license :woot: )

Funny that so few people are using Outpost. I've tried all the "famous" ones and my personal oppinion is that Outpost beats them all in simplicity and low memory footprint. The latest version 2.1 also has many new improvments that I have yet to try out. I think i'm gonna upgrade to 2.1 tomorrow if i find some time :)

Are there any routers on the market that can block outgoing traffic or at least monitor it?

One of the biggest differences between a hardware and software firewall is that the software firewall works on software level. You can add rules on software level, not just port level. You can allow one software to outgoing port 80 traffic while you block another application to connect outgoing on port 80.