I am Windows Free!

1.well linux doesnt really use drivers the same way as windows in the sense that they are mostly already included and installed in the OS, so they are less prone to problems. in addition, they dont take down your whole computer. the device may not function properly, or at all, but your computer wont go crazy on you.

cool, thanks for the info :).

2. autoupdate hurts performance, and i dont like MS installing software on my computer without me knowing. windows update and apt-get/whertever upgrade are completly different however and they are on completly different levels. there is autoupdate in linux as well, but it doesnt slow your computer down as much as windows auto.

Hurts performance in what way? I guess there's an extra service running, but since it's only checking for updates from time to time you're not going to notice it (well, at least I don't ;) - and I play games a lot). I realize that apt-get and other related variants are completely different, and like I said, that's a great feature. And well, I've installed the hundreds (:p) of windows updates and Microsoft hasn't yet sneaked anything bad in, so I guess I trust them.

you dont defrag windows? you should, ideally, you should do it once a week or your computer really starts to slow down a lot. firefox is great, but it doesnt block against virii and some bad cookies do get in.

I guess technically it's supposed to be slower, but like autoupdate I don't notice any impact. A lot of people don't even know what defragmenting is and their computers are fine, heh.

As for viruses, I just always make sure I'm downloading things that aren't on shady sites. A lot of times you can tell when you've downloaded a virus because there's no program icon, the extension is messed up, and there's no info in the file's properties. If it looks weird, I just avoid it. And you can get "bad cookies" on any OS, if I'm not mistaken.

I definately don't have anything against linux, I'm only defending the fact that Windows just isn't that bad anymore :p. I'm sure one day I'll try it out because Windows and Mac OS are kind of boring and learning something new would be fun (and probably a good asset in the future).

well a keyboard is a keyboard, a mouse is a mouse, it doesnt take a genious to write a driver.

as for using them to their full capacity, i have more options for my mx 310 in KDE than i do with logitechs bloated POS in windows.

joe hacker? not really. many drivers are made by commercial distros or by hardware companies themselves. yes, hardware companies need to write more drivers, but they need to keep them opensource so they can be modded to integrate into the OS the way my mouse controls are. nvidias driver is commercial, however the source code for their control center is open, so it can be modified to work better.

linux doesnt need defragging because it

a) doesnt frag as much as NTFS

b) defrags whenever it needs to, so you never actually have to "do it."

well a keyboard is a keyboard, a mouse is a mouse, it doesnt take a genious to write a driver.

as for using them to their full capacity, i have more options for my mx 310 in KDE than i do with logitechs bloated POS in windows.

joe hacker? not really. many drivers are made by commercial distros or by hardware companies themselves. yes, hardware companies need to write more drivers, but they need to keep them opensource so they can be modded to integrate into the OS the way my mouse controls are. nvidias driver is commercial, however the source code for their control center is open, so it can be modified to work better.

linux doesnt need defragging because it

a) doesnt frag as much as NTFS

b) defrags whenever it needs to, so you never actually have to "do it."

585633054[/snapback]

I guess I agree w/ you for the most part about the hardware. I was mostly referring to things such as all of the possible resolutions for my Epson printer and EAX for my SB Live! Stuff like that. My printer supports much higher resolution than what the GIMP-Print drivers (or whatever I have installed w/ CUPS). To that end, I think the hardware manufacturers need to start supplying and supporting their own linux drivers out of the box.

I do however like the idea that open source drivers can always be made better in the future by other people instead of having no support from the manufacturer if the hardware is too old to be supported any more.

Also, how does linux defrag its own file systems? Does this work for ext3 and reiserfs? Is this built into the kernel? How do i know if the file system is being defragged? Also, what all gets defragged (just certain files or all files, metadata, etc)?

i completly agree, creative and the printer companies need to get off their asses and make some linux drivers. however, it is important to keep it open so we dont end up having a system tray icon for every piece of hardware on our computers.

im not really sure how it works, it does though, and you dont need to worry about it :p

the only reason that makes me think about linux is its free :happy: windows not free :(

i like the internal structure of window better then linux (i know really good about both)

i like linux :) but i dont like the distros :( they are not to my liking :cry:

so i dont use linux. :pinch:

i'll use linux when i build my own distro :p but i dont have the time :blush:

may be in the feature :woot:

7 computers in-house for me :p

most sensible post i've read in a long time. there's nothing wrong with either and both has it's advantages and disadvantages. like you said, it's all about which is best for you.

585631809[/snapback]

Thanks ^_^

Well, I thought I had one when I tried Ubuntu.  All of my hardware worked just fine, but I prefer KDE over Gnome.  So I'm going to hold off until Kubuntu is done and I'll try that again.

585632480[/snapback]

A Kubuntu RC just came out today; it has KDE 3.4 and everything and it's just screaming. Try it, you'll love it.

but not critical ones...

like i said, i update something eveyr day, but with apt/yum/whatever, its so much easier than windows anyway.

585632615[/snapback]

All depends on what you define as critical as there are crtical updates for many open source apps. If they are installed on ur box then they should have that update applied. No OS is bug free :p

Hey peeps,

I have a question - whatz the deal with LINUX? Is it really free?

The reason I ask is because recently I downloaded SuSE 9.2 from the SuSE website.

And then a few days ago I read that SuSE 9.3 would be released in mid-APRIL and it will cost like EURO 77.54 something.

Thatz alot of money.

No doubt, I am a noob, just venturing into this new territory because I am curious.

I used to dual boot quite a bit but never really embraced Linux properly... But a few months ago my HDD's went funny and I could no longer use Windows.

I spent about a month using a Gnoppix Live CD as my main OS as it was the only way I could get to any of my data without formatting, then I got a new HDD so I decided to just install Gentoo and forget about Windows. That taught me a lot, and being an only option I HAD to make do and embrace it, it was a godsend really.

Theres been a few hiccups but you're almost gauranteed to find any problem you have on Google, and if you don't then there's plenty of good support forums. I'm much happier now, everything (Apart from my TV Card) is working flawlessly and its been brilliant as a general desktop OS. It's nice to be on an open source platform, where you have almost unlimited access to open source programs, no more having to turn to warez or buy a program every time you want to do something.

I've been on Gentoo for nearly a month now, I've got no problems finding my way around and there's nothing restricting me (Apart from my own stupidity :p) and everything's "just right" :laugh:

Todays top tip: Try it, you'll love it.

1.)  If I was using badly-written drivers on linux, what could I do about it?  That's a genuine question, I'm just curious, because you're implying there would be a solution on linux.

585632773[/snapback]

you could write your own. the reason that's important is this: if you've got a problem, chances are someone else has it too, and in my experience, one of those people have solved it. In linux, you can solve your own problems.

I have a triple boot setup on my main comp

Red Hat 9

Windows XP

Windows Server 2003

Works treat, i need all three OS's for various tasks (im a student whose learnign l three OS's)

My Laptop as DUAL boot

Red Hat 9

Windows XP

This also works a treat

On my third comp i have just Windows XP, they all work ona server/client network and everything is great. Linux is good for simple monotomous tasks . i.e. fileserving, webserving because its very good at that and never ever crashes.

Both linux and windows have their advantages and disadvantages, linux is probably better for servers, but for client windows is better cos user in a company dont have the foggiest how to use linux but know how to work windows........etc

the only reason that makes me think about linux is its free :happy: windows not free :(

i like the internal structure of window better then linux (i know really good about both)

i like linux  :) but i dont like the distros :(  they are not to my liking :cry:

so i dont use linux. :pinch:

i'll use linux when i build my own distro :p  but i dont have the time :blush:

may be in the feature  :woot:

585633124[/snapback]

excuse me sir, this is the emote police, can you roll down your window?

B. What exactly forces anyone to upgrade to newer versions of Windows compared to Linux? As far as I knew, absolutely nothing.

585633039[/snapback]

Usually, it is the lack of support for their older products. ;)

Up until Firefox became a threat, IE7 was to be a "Longhorn-only" feature. Windows2000 is already orphaned in many ways.

To get the current support from Microsoft, you need to have the current OS.

Up until Firefox became a threat, IE7 was to be a "Longhorn-only" feature.  Windows2000 is already orphaned in many ways.

585634030[/snapback]

true that, I dont know what My Mom is going to do when her windows version isnt supported anymore, I think that I will install Mandrake ,config it to her needs and lock it down tight. :shifty:

Up until Firefox became a threat, IE7 was to be a "Longhorn-only" feature.  Windows2000 is already orphaned in many ways.

585634030[/snapback]

But what FORCES them to go out and buy the newest version of Windows? If they want IE 7 bad enough (yeah...right :laugh: ), that's their CHOICE to buy XP.

If you are going to say that not getting patches for issues isn't a good reason to upgrade, I am not sure what you consider being forced to upgrade?

No one was forced to stop using Windows 3.11, by that logic.

what's wrong with windows?

haha,,once u know what to deal with her,she is okay..

585635221[/snapback]

nope. i can deal with windows just fine, i just dont like doing it.

Edit: whats a 2wire port? i have a router called 2wire, but i just used ethernet with it...

If you are going to say that not getting patches for issues isn't a good reason to upgrade, I am not sure what you consider being forced to upgrade?

No one was forced to stop using Windows 3.11, by that logic.

585635204[/snapback]

That's exactly what I meant because from what I understood about your reply "constant upgrades to Windows" you never have to upgrade any one part of a Linux system for any reason unless you choose to do so.