Free forum Phpbb or IPB 1.3

the better Free Forum is  

217 members have voted

1. 1. the better Free Forum is

• phpbb 2.0.13 (or the latest)
    • IPB 1.3
    • other (mention)

Question

I prefer IPB 1.3 because I seem to have more control over the nuances of the board. I can edit the HTML, style sheets, wrapper, etc. and make adjustments to a finer degree, I believe.

I just went through this with two free hosting services and while the PHPBB 2.x software looks purdy, IPB 1.3 was my preferred setup.

Was a IPB fanatic for years but just these last weeks ive changed to MyBB and i highly recommend it to others, also you can get a free legit IPB 2.0 without limits if you can find it that is.

Was a IPB fanatic for years but just these last weeks ive changed to MyBB and i highly recommend it to others, also you can get a free legit IPB 2.0 without limits if you can find it that is.

586345240[/snapback]

Not true at all. It's never been legal at any point to get IPB anywhere other than IPS. That means downloaded IPB 2.0.0 from a P2P network, even though it was technically free to use, is illegal.

Haven't tryied MyBB yet. Is it any good?

586494267[/snapback]

I like MyBB a lot. It's a very nice BBS, in my opinion, and it's just as good, if not better, than phpBB. ;)

I am wanting to start a forum on a free site at first - then if it takes off I will possibly move to a pay server.

I googled and found a link to the "MYBB" site => http://www.mybboard.com/ (which is currently experiancing a technical "aahhh crap!"

I havent been so lucky finding an SMF site - :no: Any help?

Question about MyBB - do I understand everything correctly - I download software to my computer and basically FTP the board to their server?? Then the board is hosted for free? Correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks

B :ninja:

I'd have to say IPB 1.3. It has more options than phpBB does, and it's easier to add hacks. Also, IPB is much safer than phpBB. There's a new release for phpBB almost every week with a new security update. So if you want to be more secure and not have to upgrade your forum software every week, go with IPB.

I'd have to say IPB 1.3. It has more options than phpBB does, and it's easier to add hacks. Also, IPB is much safer than phpBB. There's a new release for phpBB almost every week with a new security update. So if you want to be more secure and not have to upgrade your forum software every week, go with IPB.

586627252[/snapback]

I just have to point out, as many other people have said the same thing, that updates every week would make phpbb much more secure then invision power board. Can't really say its because Invision power board got it right first off either, as anything has exploits, and its impossible to have a fool proof release, something proved time and time again.

I prefer the knowledge that as soon as hackers find an exploit in phpbb it will be fixed straight away.

I kind of gave up on phpbb around 3 years ago while I was waiting for 2.2 (possibly slight exageration) But my vote goes for it still, as its much more free then IPB, even if thats supposedly turned free.

I didn't know IPB had an extensive mod database... *goes check*

I am clearly biased, but this deserved an injection of logic.

How can phpBB have a new security release every week?

It is up to 2.0.17, so that 18 releases since April 2002.

That is approximately 188 weeks ago. Or one release every 10 and a half weeks. And 2.0.17 was released almost 13 weeks ago. Note that not all of those releases fixed security exploits, some were purely bug fixes, some representative to changes in PHP.

Compared to Microsoft which releases security updates on cue the 2nd tuesday of every month (without fail). phpBB releases security releases less often.

phpBB also go out of their way to inform users of new updates. Update nofitications can be seen via an RSS feed, e-mailed, or viewed in the admin panel.

phpBB may be the only forum with a worm, but it doesn't mean it's the only one that has had an issue that a worm could be written to exploit.

You cannot expect to run insecure code on the internet and expect that it will never be hacked.

Does anyone know where I can download 2.0 unlimited trial? How would IPS know if I got it "illegally" off of a P2P program?

586767688[/snapback]

They would know but what it says at the bottom because the version would be 2.0.0 and they are on 2.1.3 now.

What would it say something at the bottom? Still if anyone knows where I can dl 2.0 it would help

586768628[/snapback]

It would say 2.0.0

But 2.0.0 has lots of security vulnerabilities.