• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

X-Box Crashing in US

stekson    0
Originally posted by Sam_sneed69

So let's see.....

Spend about $400 on a X-box, get two games and a controller.....

hmmmm...

Shouldn't I have an option as a consumer to purchase just the console and a controller only? Why should I spend extra money on two games and a controller? I know it's a new system, but atleast give me an opportunity to choose............rent....borrow

TY MICROSOFT

i isaw smoething on the news about this... you aren't supposed to ONLY be able to buy x-box's in packages... if you ask the retailer, most of the time they have individual consoles for sale, they're just not advertising it

-stek

adam2001    0

Divide Overflow: i installed XP from a freshly formatted HD so nothing was on there prior.

System: 1 Ghz Athlon, 512MB RAM, SBLive! 1024, hercules Prophet 4500 64MB (kyro 2), CD Rom, Plextor CD-Rewriter and floppy drive.

Tis custom built and yes i know what the hell im doing with computers. I do work with really memory hungry applications Adobe photoshop 6 for example (default: reserves upto 50% of ur RAM for use).

Also WinXP is so good i cant run my RAM at 133Mhz because it doesnt even boot up. Drop it to 100Mhz and it boots up, no probs.

Sam_sneed69: The reason they sell Xboxes with games and not on their own (well dont display u can buy them on there own) is because Microsft loses i think $100 - $200 on each box and is trying to regain that money through games and accessories sales

BTW, Divide Overflow, I cant upgrade from another OS to XP because when i do, it gives a fatal error sometime during the actual install of XP and installation stops, so there.

boobless    2

:D

setup.jpg

Jayzun    0

Well people have problems with EVERY OS...even Linux. It depends on the hardware and device incompatibilities. I can tell you that I run even more memory intensive products than you (Maya, Softimage...even Maya AND Photoshop at the same time, with a couple of explorers open)...and it handles it just fine. I can tell you that I've installed XP on NUMEROUS systems and they're all stable as hell. And they were stable as hell on Win2K also, but XP is Win2K with a ton more features. No crashes whatsoever, except one machine that has a GeForce GTS...every once in a while you get an infinite loop crash. This is a driver problem that I've heard Nvidia is working on. Anyway...you're one person versus 1000's that have no problems with XP crashing but you say it's not stable. Don't understand your logic. Maybe it's a bad copy of XP, which it could be if you're getting fatal errors when upgrading. I had this problem, then got a different copy of XP and used that to install and it worked beautifully. It could also be ****ty ram which it sounds like you may have.

Yazoo    276
Originally posted by adam2001

Divide Overflow: i installed XP from a freshly formatted HD so nothing was on there prior.

System: 1 Ghz Athlon, 512MB RAM, SBLive! 1024, hercules Prophet 4500 64MB (kyro 2), CD Rom, Plextor CD-Rewriter and floppy drive.

Tis custom built and yes i know what the hell im doing with computers. I do work with really memory hungry applications Adobe photoshop 6 for example (default: reserves upto 50% of ur RAM for use).

Also WinXP is so good i cant run my RAM at 133Mhz because it doesnt even boot up. Drop it to 100Mhz and it boots up, no probs.

Sam_sneed69: The reason they sell Xboxes with games and not on their own (well dont display u can buy them on there own) is because Microsft loses i think $100 - $200 on each box and is trying to regain that money through games and accessories sales

BTW, Divide Overflow, I cant upgrade from another OS to XP because when i do, it gives a fatal error sometime during the actual install of XP and installation stops, so there.

Just a quick question you mentioned your a student how did you afford all those "memory hungry applicatios like PShop 6"

You 've forgotten to install your mobo drivers!

neo1980    0

You think PS2 is coming out!!! Hell with that...XBOX 2 is coming out as well and its gonna use a P-4 !!

"The box is also said to incorporate TiVo-style facilities to record TV programming. " - The Register on XBOX2

"The company is said to be waiting for the much wider availability of broadband Internet connections before releasing the system. "

- The Register

"Microsoft's Xbox successor, tentatively dubbed the HomeStation, will indeed be based on Nvidia' nForce chipset and Intel's Pentium 4 processor, a source familiar with the machine's development have told The Register. "

Hell yeah...

Pentium 4, broadband, nForce Geforce 3 Itanium!

===== Death of Sony and Nintendo!:) well hope not cuz there will be no competition, but looks this way

Yazoo    276

Only a fool and an idiot would rate a console over a PC.

This argument has raged for many years and for many consoles and PC's.

When ever a kickass console comes out the hardware for the PC increases in power so much that the console looks like an Atari pong machine.

The only saving argument is that PC hardware cost more, but that has never stopped PC owners :)

shark1    0

adam2001, there is no problem with WinXP, and if you are unable to get it to 133Mhz you then have a Motherboard or BIOS problem. I have tested XP on 6 diferent computers: AMD set up box with A7V133 mobo, Dual P3 500 with L440GX+ mobo, P3 1Ghz CUSL2 mobo, 2 Laptops one Dell and Compaq, guess what? All i did is hit enter put the password and it was ALL set up ready to go on all the computers. No problem at all, so you tell me..does XP have a Problem? answer NO. Does some hardware give problems to XP? YES, can be defective RAM, defective mobo so much things...

Yazoo    276
Originally posted by neo1980

You think PS2 is coming out!!! Hell with that...XBOX 2 is coming out as well and its gonna use a P-4 !!

"The box is also said to incorporate TiVo-style facilities to record TV programming. " - The Register on XBOX2

"The company is said to be waiting for the much wider availability of broadband Internet connections before releasing the system. "

- The Register

"Microsoft's Xbox successor, tentatively dubbed the HomeStation, will indeed be based on Nvidia' nForce chipset and Intel's Pentium 4 processor, a source familiar with the machine's development have told The Register. "

Hell yeah...

Pentium 4, broadband, nForce Geforce 3 Itanium!

===== Death of Sony and Nintendo!:) well hope not cuz there will be no competition, but looks this way

Sorry m8 the homestation has been shelved indefinatley. Source of this news is from Microsoft UK

Jayzun    0

Well, graphics states it all. Max Payne doesn't look as good on PC as it does on PS2 or XBOX. MGS2 won't look as good on a PC if it even ever comes to the PC. You don't have to worry about installing and hardware/software conflicts. You just put the CD in and play. Oh and it's about $400 cheaper than a system that could even compare with the graphics. For most games, FPS's and Strategy aside...video game controllers are much better. For PC's, developers have to make their games for the lowest common denominator...for consoles, they're all standardized so they can maximize the system to their potentials. There is really no comparison for games. If you're a big game player, you need a console...especially since online play is making it's way to the consoles. This is the one thing the PC had over them...and now it's not going to be there. Why are so many game developers passing over PC's altogether now. There are not nearly the amount of games on PC's as consoles. PC's = FPS's, Strategy, RPG's. Video Games = all those, plus about 1000 other genres. You don't see many platform games on PC's, do you?

kawai    0

Dude, I don't know about Max Payne, it looks awsome on my computer, you might need to turn those options up you know. Of course it's gonna look like crap if you don't upgrade.

Fonze    0

yea, with my Geforce 3 MaxPayne looks frign awesome! you need to get off your piece o shizat and find urself a real computer dood

Jayzun    0

Max Payne does look wicked on my computer...and I have the highest settings on...on my KICKASS computers. But, I've seen screenshots for Max Payne on XBOX and PS2...and it is better.

linsook    149
Originally posted by Jayzun

Max Payne does look wicked on my computer...and I have the highest settings on...on my KICKASS computers. But, I've seen screenshots for Max Payne on XBOX and PS2...and it is better.

what does ps2, or xbox have, that you don't have or can't get better on a pc?

willywonka69    0

weeeeeeeeeeeeee <---i just got done playing on a X-Box and the Cube (X-Box won)

jciaccio    0

Btw if your computer is crashing when your booting with a 133 memory setting and booting ok with 100 mhz, you are probably overclocking....

Since XP boots extremely fast it is going to put alot of pressure on the system. I would try upgrading the memory or the mobo.

Anyways I am sticking with the XP and XBox...

What's with MS and the X's?