[new tv] plasma? lcd?

say no to plasma if you value your money at all. If you want a paperweight in a few years plasma is for you. If you want a tv to last go LCD, DLP.

say no to plasma if you value your money at all. If you want a paperweight in a few years plasma is for you.  If you want a tv to last go LCD, DLP.

586002518[/snapback]

They may not be perfect, but that is an extremely ignorant outlook you have there. Maybe do some research before you post such erroneous opinions.

CRT 30k to half-life

RP CRT 15k to hl

LCD 60k to hl

RP LCD 2-10k per bulb

DLP 2-10k per bulb total

PLasma 30-60k to hl depending on brand

As long as you take care of a plasma it will last. They aren't as care free as other types of tvs, but if you can successfully not destroy a rp crt then you should be fine with one. If you aren't capable of that then buy another type of tv that suits your lifestyle better.

They may not be perfect, but that is an extremely ignorant outlook you have there.  Maybe do some research before you post such erroneous opinions.

CRT 30k to half-life

RP CRT 15k to hl

LCD 60k to hl

RP LCD 2-10k per bulb

DLP 2-10k per bulb total

PLasma 30-60k to hl depending on brand

As long as you take care of a plasma it will last.  They aren't as care free as other types of tvs, but if you can successfully not destroy a rp crt then you should be fine with one.  If you aren't capable of that then buy another type of tv that suits your lifestyle better.

586002646[/snapback]

i've sat in on countless and i mean countless training sessions for televisions sales from samsung, sony, toshiba. If you want a tv that will last you will get a LCD or DLP, why because they can be repaired. Once Plasma is broke, its broke, so if you got the money to throw away, by all means throw it away. Not to mention DLP can last 80k hours if you buy a descent brand not your 2-10k..sorry man better research will help.

Edited by SlammedGST

i've sat in on countless and i mean countless training sessions for televisions sales from samsung, sony, toshiba.  If you want a tv that will last you will get a LCD or DLP, why because they can be repaired.  Once Plasma is broke, its broke, so if you got the money to throw away, by all means throw it away.

586010609[/snapback]

If you take care of a set and properly set things up, it won't "break" and you can safley watch it for at least 8 years without it burning out. I'm not a huge fan of plasma, but you're giving in to the paranoid hype.

i've sat in on countless and i mean countless training sessions for televisions sales from samsung, sony, toshiba.  If you want a tv that will last you will get a LCD or DLP, why because they can be repaired.  Once Plasma is broke, its broke, so if you got the money to throw away, by all means throw it away. Not to mention DLP can last 80k hours if you buy a descent brand not your 2-10k..sorry man better research will help.

586010609[/snapback]

DLP bulbs last 6,000 to 8,000 hours. Research? I work with this stuff day in and out. He's right, you're wrong.

sorry i meant the life span of the television not the bulb.. because it can be repaired. I'm going off my own personal experience with plasma, i see them returned, broke everyday. Their life spans are over-rated and they are not that great for the $

586010645[/snapback]

And it's expensive to replace the bulbs. If you do it yourself, it costs around $300 a pop. I like DLPs, I like LCD Projos, I love LCoS, but their achilles heel is their bulbs.

sorry i meant the life span of the television not the bulb.. because it can be repaired. I'm going off my own personal experience with plasma, i see them returned, broke everyday. Their life spans are over-rated and they are not that great for the $

very true, the bulbs do get expensive but if your low on money up front they can't be beat. The price for size is unmatched, most people can't afford a $5k 40" plasma, but can afford a $1.4k 60" DLP and every few years $200-$300.

each time you use a plazma screen the picture quality slowly fades most plazma screens last 4 to 5years if your lucky. also plazmas suffer from ghosting and Screen image burn ins. so it isant great for still images AKA Add banners on Tvs among otehr things .

each time you use a  plazma screen the  picture quality slowly fades  most  plazma screens  last 4 to 5years  if your lucky. also  plazmas suffer from ghosting and  Screen  image burn ins.  so it isant  great for still images  AKA Add banners  on Tvs  among  otehr things  .

586011095[/snapback]

wow, misinformation up the wazoo do you have.

1) Good plasmas last for about 60,000 hours. That equals about 10 - 12 years of average viewing.

2) No ghosting

3) Burn in can occur, but even that is controllable and rare. LG sets have a whitewash feature that will correct any burned in imagery.

I don't care for plasma, but you people are insanely off base with many of your statements and figures.

Plazma just isant the way to go if you Game on a consoel system or so LCDs offer 0 burn in now days 0 ghosting now days. Do not get plazma you will regret it ask any electronic store and see what they say.

plasmas quality do fade and they will never look as good as the first time you turn it on... that is a fact bangbang

586012344[/snapback]

well Siad and is 100% true Plazma images do always all the time fade and never look the same as the first time. LCDs dont Fade

well Siad? and is 100% true Plazma images do always all the time fade?  and never? look the same as the first time.? LCDs? dont? Fade

586012366[/snapback]

actually lcd's do fade also over time. slowly, but they do. a backlight can only last so long on anything.

Plasma Screens CANNOT create the colour balck, instead they can only get close, so when watching movies with a lot of night shots, you can really see how terrible it looks.

plasmas quality do fade and they will never look as good as the first time you turn it on... that is a fact bangbang

586012344[/snapback]

any set's quality fades with time. Where do you think LCD's get light from?

A lot of them are pretty close to crts in black.  Maybe you are thinking of lcd tvs?  They have the worst blacks of any type of tv.

586012837[/snapback]

Correct. Samsung plasma's work around this using the DNIe technology to compensate for the poor blacks of LCD monitors, among other improvements.

Plasma Screens CANNOT create the colour balck, instead they can only get close, so when watching movies with a lot of night shots, you can really see how terrible it looks.

586012457[/snapback]

A lot of them are pretty close to crts in black. Maybe you are thinking of lcd tvs? They have the worst blacks of any type of tv.

586012344[/snapback]

Any TV fades from the day you turn it on. It just so happens that a direct-view crt, which I am sure most of you guys have, fade twice as fast as a good plasma (30k half-life versus 60k half-life). Since I am sure that you can't see your tv fading before your very eyes every time you watch it, I think you are blowing this way out of proportion. By the time the plasma is noticeably dimmer, you're probably going to want a new tv anyways. A direct-view crt reaches half-brightness in 10 years if you watch it 8 hours per day. A newer plasma will reach half-brightness in 20 years if you watch everyday for 8 hours a day. So you are gonna stand there and tell me that in 10 years you will be able to notice a gradual loss of 1/4 of its brightness if you were even watching that much tv. Granted all these numbers are theoretical since depending on how you have a tv set up, temperature, and other conditions the tv will age more or less. So if you think a plasma will only last for 4-5 years then I hope that none of your crt tvs are more than 2-3 years old. And if they are, its best that you rush out to the store and replace it. Also, since you can replace the bulb in a dlp to make it look like new every time, you may see that as a bonus over other types of tvs. But I would assume that with a dlp you would be much more likely to notice the tv getting more dim. Usually you have to replace a dlp bulb every 1-2 years, so its bulb is burning out much faster than an lcd or plasma, which both (under the right conditions) reach half-brightness after 20 years of extreme viewing. You can prefer dlp for the price/size if you want, but don't spread false rumors about other forms of technology. Maybe you should mention dlps and rainbows. Not everyone sees them, but if you do they make the tvs unwatchable for some people (they give me headaches :(). And what about the viewing angles on a dlp, or any rp tv for that matter? Those constricting viewing angles don't work for a lot people. There are numerous types of problems with any type of tv, and I bet if people worked hard enough (and made up a bunch of fake rumors like people have about plasmas) they could make people as scared of dlps as they are of plasmas.