Ipod Overrated?

the ipod is simple, easy to use, and elegant to look at. people buy them for a few reasons: 1. trendy...omg give it to me. 2. trust apple products. 3. don't know of any alternatives. 4. want to spite g-n-t

[FLAMEBAIT]

The iPod Shuffle is the biggest rip-off I've ever seen. Its nothing but a regular non-HD based MP3 player without a display. You'd have to be retarded to buy a piece of crap like that. The only thing it has going for it is that it has the Apple and iPod name. I'll stick to my Creative Muvo thank you.

[/FLAMEBAIT]

Well i see overrated when some one takes his 2nd gen ipod trades it in for a 4th gen, then buys all the accessories then everyone else freaks about it and claims its the first and the best...

[FLAMEBAIT]

The iPod Shuffle is the biggest rip-off I've ever seen. Its nothing but a regular non-HD based MP3 player without a display. You'd have to be retarded to buy a piece of crap like that. The only thing it has going for it is that it has the Apple and iPod name. I'll stick to my Creative Muvo thank you.

[/FLAMEBAIT]

585757344[/snapback]

they are also much cheaper...and honestly; I don't need a display, and aparently nor do the millions that have bought shuffles.

I do not think its overrated. I own a blue iPod mini.

It has the features I need such as AAC and Apple Lossless support and it plays music from the iTunes Music store. That automatically eliminates the competition.

Quite honestly I don't care if it lacks an FM tuner, WMA support, color screen, better sound quality (subjective) or any other feature I do not need. I think the sound quality on the iPod mini is amazing when paired with B&O A8's.

I also don't care if I'm locked in to iTunes. I love iTunes. In fact, I need iTunes support on a DAP.

I've never had to copy music back to my computer from the iPod and I don't think I ever will. I can buy my own music, I don't need to leech it from my friends.

The iPod mini is also the coolest looking DAP in its class. Aluminum is a must for any device I buy. DAP, Earphones, Cell phone, Notebook, etc. It has to be made out of Aluminum. Plastic feels cheap.

I have an iPod mini but I've never bothered to compare it to the competition. Why? Because I like what I have and am happy with it. I don't need to prove to anyone that my DAP is better and has more features or is cheaper and somehow a better buy. If you like iRiver or Creative players and you have one, good for you. I hope you're happy with it, but you don't have to go around saying how its better and has so many features and the iPod is overrated trying to make yourself feel better by rubbing it in people's faces. That only makes me think that you are trying to justify your purchase by attacking the competition.

Firstly, why is this even in BPN? and second... this thread seems to have been created to flame... so i'm pushing that report button and the mods can decide.

oh and btw... putting [FLAMEBAIT] tags, doesnt exempt you from the following, not to point fingers, because many have made pointless "attack" posts, but yours stood out.

No Flaming, Personal attacks such as flaming, instigating "flame bait", verbal abuse or mocking of members in forum posts are not tolerated at Neowin. Such posts will be deleted on sight and moderated accordingly. If you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather then attacking them. We look upon our veteran members to use this opportunity to teach the newer members the appropriate way to use these message boards.

I do not think its overrated. I own a blue iPod mini.

It has the features I need such as AAC and Apple Lossless support and it plays music from the iTunes Music store. That automatically eliminates the competition.

Quite honestly I don't care if it lacks an FM tuner, WMA support, color screen, better sound quality (subjective) or any other feature I do not need. I think the sound quality on the iPod mini is amazing when paired with B&O A8's.

I also don't care if I'm locked in to iTunes. I love iTunes. In fact, I need iTunes support on a DAP.

I've never had to copy music back to my computer from the iPod and I don't think I ever will. I can buy my own music, I don't need to leech it from my friends.

The iPod mini is also the coolest looking DAP in its class. Aluminum is a must for any device I buy. DAP, Earphones, Cell phone, Notebook, etc. It has to be made out of Aluminum. Plastic feels cheap.

I have an iPod mini but I've never bothered to compare it to the competition. Why? Because I like what I have and am happy with it. I don't need to prove to anyone that my DAP is better and has more features or is cheaper and somehow a better buy. If you like iRiver or Creative players and you have one, good for you. I hope you're happy with it, but you don't have to go around saying how its better and has so many features and the iPod is overrated trying to make yourself feel better by rubbing it in people's faces. That only makes me think that you are trying to justify your purchase by attacking the competition.

585757397[/snapback]

this is exactly how I feel...and I also have a blue mini...as well as a 512 shuffle! :D

Firstly, why is this even in BPN?

I agree. Since when are blogs a source of news? Especially when the author doesn't have a clue?

I think we can all agree on that Huezo has said the best thing in this thread.

I have an iPod mini but I've never bothered to compare it to the competition. Why? Because I like what I have and am happy with it. I don't need to prove to anyone that my DAP is better and has more features or is cheaper and somehow a better buy.

and as far as it's battery being irreplaceable??? http://www.ipodbattery.com/

29 bucks IF, and I stress IF it goes out in 18 months, cause it ain't all of them.

585756931[/snapback]

As opposed to the Creative solution, something that DOESN'T require opening the player and voiding the warranty.

Just because it CAN be replaced doesn't mean it was meant to be. Hey, if you're rather pry that precious iPod open than easily slip in a new battery in 5 minutes be my guest.

One thing that makes the ipod well liked.  Interface design.

iPods Hardware Interface > All other mp3 players

iPods Software Interface > All other mp3 players

iPods ease of use > All other mp3 players

iTunes Store > All other music stores

Those four facts outweigh any extra's that would otherwise persuade me.  FM radio is horrible, bad quality, incredibly limited amount of songs, ect ect.

Less than 1% of all mp3 player owners ever use .OGG, lets face it.

Meanwhile, a large portion of mp3 player owners are fairly "technology" illeterate and require something easy to use, in all forms, which at present is really only the iPod.

From downloading music, transferring music, and actual real world use, the iPod hands down wins.

585757213[/snapback]

Have you tried the other music stores?

The interface aspect is all opinion now Nobody can legally copy the iPod interface, so nothing will be the same, but there are several that have easy and polished interfaces, just different than the iPod.

I have used a Generic MP3 player, a Creative Zen 20GB and the Dell one. After experiencing the afore mentioned players, I can safely say that the iPod has <much better sound qualityb>, is considerably smaller in size and much easier to use.

585757214[/snapback]

There is verifiable proof that that isn't the case. But whatever.

Edited by Danrarbc641

There is verifiable proof that that isn't the case. But whatever.

585757431[/snapback]

I consider 'good sound quality' a feature in its own right.

Comparing MP3 players to cars is ridiculous.

585757237[/snapback]

That's not really surprising considering how some people manage to use car analogy when discussing about web browsers...

How does having a color screen enhance your hearing skills? Soon the iPod Photo will become the standard anyway. USB? All iPods come with a usb cable. PC Compatibility? Wtf is that? My iPod can be managed in Linux or Windows. FM Radio? there are accessories to add that.

Line in Recording? The iPod is an mp3 player, not a recorder. If you want a recorder, get a Sony HI-MD because they do a fantastic job at recording live sound/music.

585757399[/snapback]

Most of iPod's competitors have those features built-in, yet they manage to keep the price lower and size similar to iPod.

Why get an MD player when you can get those features directly on the music player without spending any more money?

Now you still can?t admit that iPod is in fact inferior to other music players? woah.

mp3 cd players? Yeah let's go back in time instead of innovating and making life simpler. Let's go back in time indeed when people used to count the # of scratches on their discs and carry around their big ufo-shaped device.

585757399[/snapback]

I agree with this part, but you should keep in mind that iPod is not the first MP3 player.

In fact, iRiver, Creative and other small Asian companies are the ones who should get credit for the innovative method of listening to music, so-called digital music player.

I have an iPod mini but I've never bothered to compare it to the competition. Why? Because I like what I have and am happy with it. I don't need to prove to anyone that my DAP is better and has more features or is cheaper and somehow a better buy.

585757397[/snapback]

I think we can all agree on tHuezo has said the best thing in this thread.

585757421[/snapback]

The best thing in this thread? I don?t think so.

If he didn?t even bother comparing his iPod mini with its competitors, why do we need to listen to his opinion anyways?

He?s just simply saying that iPod mini is good because he likes it, despite the fact that there are many music players that are better than iPod mini, and that just sounds ignorant to me.

did all the other mp3 players work on macs since mp3 players came into existance?

and wasn't it 2 years ago that the 3rd gen ipods supported pcs? oh yeah.

585757428[/snapback]

Most of the existing music players before iPod didn?t require any additional software.

In fact, you could just drag-and-drop music to flash/hard drive, and you?d be able to listen to music.

Now thanks to iPod and its only friend iTunes who is seriously overweight, the platforms, that you can use iPod, are limited.

Most of the existing music players before iPod didn?t require any additional software.

In fact, you could just drag-and-drop music to flash/hard drive, and you?d be able to listen to music.

Now thanks to iPod and its only friend iTunes who is seriously overweight, the platforms, that you can use iPod, are limited.

585757494[/snapback]

all 3 of them? AWESOME. tur:sleep:eep:

all 3 of them? AWESOME. turd.  :sleep:

585757505[/snapback]

First of all, there's no iTunes for Linux, the users had to create their own application in order to make it compatible with iPod.

And by platform, I don?t only mean OS?s, it could number of the methods how you transfer music to the music player.

There are many people, including me, who don?t want to use that memory hogging and super-heavy iTunes, and I also don?t like how you?re forced to use ITMS if you want to get music online.

Take anything from iRiver, for example, it?s has free drag-and-drop interface, and is also compatible with WMP.

Want to get music online? There are MSN Music Store, Napster (with awesome music rental service), and other local individual music stores.

585757494[/snapback]

I think you're overweight but you're also an ignorant.

On Linux: gtkpod

Alternatives to iTunes have been listed in this thread such as ephPod and ml_pod.

Which platform limitations you say?..

Get up-to-date fatso. :laugh:

I love how Ipod fanboys blindly defend the problems with the Ipod, such as being forced to install and use Itunes for file uploads and the inability to download off it without hacked software. Yet in the same sentence they say stealing music is bad. :laugh:

Unneeded features for me.

The fact that it supports AAC and Apple Lossless wins me over for the 'price'. Do other players support those two?

585756699[/snapback]

....chances are you use those because you have to.... so you can use them on your iPod... FLAC is better or you can even use WMA losless. i think ppl only use them because its how iTunes is or they have an iPod, not really making them a "feature"

I love how Ipod fanboys blindly defend the problems with the Ipod, such as being forced to install and use Itunes for file uploads and the inability to download off it without hacked software. Yet in the same sentence they say stealing music is bad.  :laugh:

585757560[/snapback]

Alright then, this new version of Windows that has arrived - the Windows XP without WMP. How are users going to upload their music to their player after they purchase that? You are then 'forced' to download Media Player from the MS site.

Its all about the corporate monopoly.

I suggest you go thru this thread and count the # of times "g-n-t" has said a variation of "ipod fanboys" which indirectly targets all ipod owners.

585757584[/snapback]

And what does that have to do with you calling me overweight, ignorant, and fatso?

If you think g-n-t was wrong calling you fanboys, then you just put yourself in even lower and cheaper position than g-n-t by using more offensive vocab choices.

What's wrong with installing software anyway? You're running Windows aren't you? :rofl: If the software isn't bloatware, then it's safe. Bloatware = something like Sonicstage or RealOne.

585757584[/snapback]

Let's list bloadware and have a look at how they're bloated.

Real One = heavy on resources

Sonicstage = heavy on resources, forcing users to use proprietary products. (Sony music players and Sony Connect music store), limited codec support

And let's look at our glorious iTunes!!!!!!!!

iTunes = heavy on resources, limited codec support, forcing users to use proprietary products (iPod and iTMS)

See any similarity there?

I'm not even gonna reply to that because of the number of times that members have posted, in this thread, alternatives to iTunes that let you do much more including downloading tunes from your ipod. ephPod lets me drag & drop in the software from a folder and then easily create playlists and organize my songs by massediting the id3tags.

Enough of this. You guys who argue against have no real arguments. If you want more count-arguments, visit << filtered for offensive content >>

585757614[/snapback]

Seriously, can't you read? Other music players doesn't require ANYTHING for god's sake!

And don't even get me started about how yucky ephPod is.

It has fugly interface, it's very user-unfriendly, buggy, and it doesn't manage music library like WMP or iTunes do.