The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

Yeah, I think that is the key. I was looking for a system that would never (or rarely) slow down. I suppose if you are okay with the occasional beach ball, not having a ton of RAM is not that big of a deal, but it is very nice to run a system that can take whatever you throw at it.

585825302[/snapback]

Yeah, this was the case for me too...I basically wanted a system were I wouldnt want to replace it 1-3 years after I had bought it. I had gotten tired of the 'Buy new/used Mac, upgrade for tons of money, rinse/repeat' cycle I had gotten in. Made it well worth the high cost cause in the end it was cheaper than the constant upgrade cycle. :ninja:

Well, I figured out how to kill the stutter in iPhoto, if anyone cares to know:

Make ALL your images JPEGS.

Found that out on Apples support site. works like a charm now. Fluid and no longer a memory hog. :ninja:

how big is the final build, i have seen two torrents on the net, one is 1.5 gigs and another is 2.6. I am not going to download it as i get it for free of ADC, so i don't need the random accusations of piracy, i am just curious

how big is the final build, i have seen two torrents on the net, one is 1.5 gigs and another is 2.6. I am not going to download it as i get it for free of ADC, so i don't need the random accusations of piracy, i am just curious

585825569[/snapback]

They could probably both be real, the smaller one would not include the dev tools or is an older build.

Dashboard seems to perform better on my iBook than on my PowerMac (iBook has a Radeon 7500 AGP with 32MB, PowerMac has a Radeon 7000 PCI with 64MB), so I'm not so sure that it's all that dependent on RAM, but maybe on the video card.

585824150[/snapback]

Looking at Activity Monitor Dashboard really uses a fair amount of Ram, it variates really strong though.

@rajputwarrior

I think the WWDC build was just below 2 GB, and from there it only got bigger. So it's either fake or they stripped a build down. Tiger GM is about 2.6 GB in size. :)

Mac Rumours confirmed btw that 8A428 is the final/packaged build.

Now that people are getting their legal copies...purely by accident...feel free to post Tiger support threads. Continue to use this thread if you like. Once the discussion in here dies out, she'll be killed off.

Somone droped the ball with Tiger

Mac OS X Tiger Accidentally Shipped Early

OS X

Posted by Zonk on Sunday April 24, @03:39PM

from the ooops-hey-this-is-shiny dept.

boarder8925 writes "Engadget reports: 'In many places around the world, Mac fans and Apple distributors received a shipment they weren't quite expecting: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger arrived at the door a full eight days ahead of schedule for some lucky folks who pre-ordered. Vendors PCMall/MacMall and ClubMac gave pre-order customers a treat by unleashing the OS ahead of schedule, quickly followed up by a 'recall' of the copies from PCMall.'"

from: http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/04/24/0...l?tid=179&tid=3

That's because Spotlight was indexing your drive. You really should have let it finish. If you had clicked on the Spotlight icon you would have seen the status

wait... but didn't jobs say at wwdc (or maybe it was macworld), when he was talking about google desktop search, that spotlight was different because it didn't have to index your harddrive?

also: when you add new stuff to your hd (documents, etc.) does spotlight have to re-index?

wait... but didn't jobs say at wwdc (or maybe it was macworld), when he was talking about google desktop search, that spotlight was different because it didn't have to index your harddrive?

also: when you add new stuff to your hd (documents, etc.) does spotlight have to re-index?

585826559[/snapback]

It indexes on the fly, but obviously when you first install it has to check where certain things are. If you do an upgrade, it'll take longer, but on my clean install it was less than a minute and the CPU hit wasn't even noticeable.

Since, its had no problem finding my 20gb+ of music, and there was no indexing needed. Spotlight is might impressive.

Anyone else notice that Apple have not included "Nature Patterns" wallpapers with Tiger? These 8 walls were included in the previous builds of Tiger but are not in the GM build.

The ones I'm talking about are:

The weird spiderweb looking one, snowflakes, bright green raindrop leaves, bright red raindrop leaf, tree rings, mushroom looking one, a weird cone shaped one and a bright yellow flower-type one.

Does anybody know howto remove the warning Safari gives you when downloading something that might be an application? I am actually thinking of installing panther again if I dont find howto get rid of this crap soon. Its just like windows sp2 :(

post-17832-1114440210.png

I am actually thinking of installing panther again if I dont find howto get rid of this crap soon.

585827003[/snapback]

wow someone is overreacting. :p

It sucks and I also want to get rid of it, but to switch back to Panther because of it goes a bit far. :p

when you do the archive and install, do all your itunes settings and configs get saved, because i really don't have to lose my top 25 list and the 20 + playlists i have made

You are correct, some of them are gone, I am glad I did an Upgrade now Since I have the old ones still.

585826822[/snapback]

I guess I better make a copy of that one off of my wife's computer (which was upgraded from 8A425) before I do a clean install on it. She loves that screensaver. Thanks for saving me some hassle.

Does anybody know howto remove the warning Safari gives you when downloading something that might be an application?

585827003[/snapback]

Turn off "open safe attachments". That should do the trick. Unfortunately, that will also turn off Safari's ability to auto-install Dashboard Widgets you download from the web.