The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

now that everyone is using tiger, i was wondering who actually uses spotlight? ? i know i havn't used it once since i installed tiger (fine i did once to see how fast it would find stuff).

I don't see why i would want to search for files since i already know where all my files are..... maybe im just more organized than other people?? :\

I'm lovin' Tiger, Longhorn, and of course Neowin....things are really starting to hot up again in the 'puting world.

Quick question: Does anyone know of a "legal" :ninja: way of letting me know where I can download the new Tiger wallpapers? I saw them on here before and they either went pretty quickly or i lost them....

Bonjour! :D

Tiger has lost the ability to select multiple files and Get Info. I tried to do it just then and a heap of windows (Info windows) opened up. Is there a way to get the size of multiple folders/files when selected, in Tiger? :huh:

now that everyone is using tiger, i was wondering who actually uses spotlight? ? i know i havn't used it once since i installed tiger (fine i did once to see how fast it would find stuff).

I don't see why i would want to search for files since i already know where all my files are..... maybe im just more organized than other people?? :\

585831096[/snapback]

It's not so much about searching for files as it is searching for the content of files. Sure, you can remember where you saved stuff, but do you remember the content of every single e-mail in your inbox? Do you remember the content of every single document on your system? If you can remember a keyword or two, you can find the document or e-mail you are looking for with Spotlight. Say that someone sent you a recipe months ago, but you aren't sure who sent it or which e-mail they sent it in. If you remember a single ingredient in that recipe, you can find it.

Tiger has lost the ability to select multiple files and Get Info. I tried to do it just then and a heap of windows (Info windows) opened up. Is there a way to get the size of multiple folders/files when selected, in Tiger? :huh:

585831653[/snapback]

That's something that's annoyed me too. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd be grateful.

That's something that's annoyed me too.  If anyone knows the answer to this I'd be grateful.

585831661[/snapback]

Yeah I noticed it yesterday. I ended up with 30 Info screens. :wacko:

585831096[/snapback]

For me this is a real big deal.

I have lot of files. They're not filed too badly but with Spotlight getting to them is much quicker & easier.

At least for me it is :yes:

Same with searching emails & being able to store the searches in Mail. It's saving me a lot of time.

I'm mainly using Spotlight to fetch applications/files that aren't in my Dock or on my Desktop. It has nothing to do with searching I know, but it's so much easier than navigating through folders.

I'm mainly using Spotlight to fetch applications/files that aren't in my Dock or on my Desktop. It has nothing to do with searching I know, but it's so much easier than navigating through folders.

585831774[/snapback]

Thats what I mostly use it for too, haven't found a need to install Butler again since Spotlight offers its functionality.

I'm using it a lot more than I thought I would.

Don't know if you did notice this (iBook and PowerBook owners should avoid this). In your System Preferences under Energy Saver you go to the Options tab and set the Processor Performance to Highest and you'll get a speed bump. Everything starts faster and run much smoothly, but indeed the variable speed fan on my iMac G5 is now a little bit more noisy (less than my former PC though). :shifty:

Forgot to mention, this is actually in Panther (I don't know about Tiger yet)

Edited by Confuser

Don't know if you did notice this (iBook and PowerBook owners should avoid this). In your System Preferences under Energy Saver you go to the Options tab and set the Processor Performance to Highest and you'll get a speed bump. Everything starts faster and run much smoothly, but indeed the variable speed fan on my iMac G5 is now a little bit more noisy (less than my former PC though).  :shifty:

585831889[/snapback]

Erm, why should I avoid this with my PowerBook? I have mine set to highest performancem, but when plugged into power, with battery it is set to save power. There are profiles in Energy Saver for a reason. :)

Don't know if you did notice this (iBook and PowerBook owners should avoid this). In your System Preferences under Energy Saver you go to the Options tab and set the Processor Performance to Highest and you'll get a speed bump. Everything starts faster and run much smoothly, but indeed the variable speed fan on my iMac G5 is now a little bit more noisy (less than my former PC though).  :shifty:

Forgot to mention, this is actually in Panther (I don't know about Tiger yet)

585831889[/snapback]

Welcome to 2 years ago woot :laugh:

585831096[/snapback]

I'm using it every time I need a file, "it's on my hard drive" that's all that mater I just hold CMD + Space box comes up enter what I want hit Enter and Boom :p

585831096[/snapback]

I am still using quicksilver to open apps, but I am using spotlight to find files I didnt even know I had. Its pretty nice, I am looking forward for quicksilver to using the Spotlight SDK so I only need to use one app.

585831096[/snapback]

if you've ever used launchbar or quicksilver, you'll know how useful spotlight is.

it's for much more than searching for files.

Hit cmd-space, then type in the name of an app. hit down arrow, then enter. app launches. much quicker than opening a new finder window, going to your applications folder, scrolling down to find the app and launching it from there.

spotlight searches inside documents too. what if you remember reading a pdf about beach erosion, but you forget the name of the file and where you put it? it also searches the contents of attachments in emails. very nice feature.

personally, i've stopped using finder unless i'm looking for a graphic that i can't remember the name of.

cmd-space, type, click, done.

:)

PS - That reminds me. Anyone know how I can move the 'show all' item in spotlight to the bottom? It'd be nice for the 'top hit' item to be at the top so i don't have to scroll down to it...

To be quite honest, I've not used the dashboard 1 time, its a waste, and I knew that before going into tiger.

Spotlight was one thing I thought I'd never use at all,

It is prob the most used feature in osx for me now, its fast, and plus it searches my email which is neat.

To be quite honest, I've not used the dashboard 1 time, its a waste, and I knew that before going into tiger.

585832900[/snapback]

I use the weather widget and the calculator widget pretty often. My wife has used the unit converter a few times when talking about the temperature with her cousin in Canada (converting Fahrenheit to Celsius).

I only use the widgets to look at the pretty effects in slow motion (hold Shift) that's it.. they are wasted on me aswell I didn't realy like konfabulator simply because I had no use for it and it was a resource hog for something I didn't need same with Dashboard really just a waste of space on my system.

I just dragged a pic of my own into the tile game. You click one square, and it starts jumbling them up. Leave it for as long as you want, click again, and it stops! Brilliant!

Noticed today there is a spotlight box in the 'open file' dialogue that is used with most programs, so handy!!

Loving this thing!

Dougal.

I only use the widgets to look at the pretty effects in slow motion (hold Shift) that's it.. they are wasted on me aswell I didn't realy like konfabulator simply because I had no use for it and it was a resource hog for something I didn't need same with Dashboard really just a waste of space on my system.

585832959[/snapback]

Cool! Never knew you could do that, really handy for showing friends!

Dougal.

Sorry for the third post, But i just noticed that with Tiger if you change the screen brightness down when under battery power, it reverts to your previous setting when you plug it back in, then back to the dimmer setting when you unplug!

Well good, don't remember Panther doing this.

Have had Tiger for almost a week now, and am still discovering all its little details.

Dougal.