Would you ever go back?

Not trying to start a fanboyism, so no flaming plz, this is just a harmless question. And admins, if this is somehow a repeat of a past post (dont think it is) then you can close it with no problems.

Ive used knoppix, gnoppix, and ubuntu so far. Im currently on ubuntu, and Ive only been on linux for about 2 or 3 weeks. During this short time, I have found an immense love for linux. Its just so much more controllable, and open ended, compared to windows which has so many restrictions. I keep a dual boot with windows though, because of games, VB class, and quicktime web videos (anyone know a command to install a plugin to get totem to view web videos like this one?). If it wasnt for these things, I would go full linux. I havent had any problems so far caused by spyware or viruses, (lol just me crashing the system with my n00bism, but how else am i gonna learn). If it wasnt for the lil things i listed above, i would never go back to windows.

what are your thoughts on linux at the moment, and would you ever go back to only windows?

I probably would say never but I do need windows for games, but I use linux for the most part and I think there is a quick time thing not sure though

I use both, OSX and Solaris.

Why? Because they all get the job done in different aspects of computing. So no, I would not go back to any of them, since I never left them.

Linux is good, Linux is nice, it's developing but it has several issues that are part of how the system is built and the core design behind it that I do not personally like. Issues that cannot be fixed without going back to the drawing board and completely building an OS from scratch - on new hardware without any of the legacy constraints of todays antiquated computer technology and thinking.

Same goes for Windows and OSX tho'.

I stopped using Windows about 2? years ago, after dual-booting for around 6 months.

I enjoy the freedom and the administrative power Linux gives me over my PC. It is problem-free for me, and 'just works'. My wife uses Windows, and my kids play a wide variety games, so they use Windows now (they were on Linux, but I didn't want to deal with wine, so bought Windows for them). I have also learned alot> more about computers using Linux than I have ever learned from using Windows.

There is nothing I do that requires Windows, so I have no need to consider going back.

Not going back to windows here, i went back to it after a dissappointing experience with Fedora Core 3, although that was my fault not Fedora's. Ubuntu has made me very pleased, its like being introduced to computers for the first time again and being amazed. I'm still learing the command line and just learned how to succesfully install Nvidia drivers (just look at how many threads i've made. Everyone says keep a windows box around jsut for gaming, but the older i get the less games are entertaining. Although i'm still a big fan of quake i haven't go that working yet ;)

bottom line, NO i won't go back to windows, when longhorn is released i will be building a decent budget rig at that time to experience that OS first hand. Then if i'm not impressed with it i'll just sell the system.

i use windows on the computer all the time and i keep fedora on a machine which i use only a few times a day (mostly for downloading)

but i always keep windows dual booted

I use both linux and windows. Why? I'm a gamer, and I like to keep up on the latest titles. Sure, I still play Raven Shield, or Ghost Recon, but I also want SWAT4, Battlefield2, and whatever else is in the pipe. Cedega doesn't really cut it.

But for the day to day stuff? I'd say the two platforms are about even.

I have also learned a lot more about computers using Linux than I have ever learned from using Windows.

585775607[/snapback]

As have I. :)

I find linux much better than Window$, I will probably never go back except to play the occasional game I can't get to work with cedega.

I use Windows only for MS Money, as my bank needs me to use it (or Quicken) for on-line banking. Other than that, the security, no BSOD, freedom to configure as needed, no EULAs, no defragging, updates that cover every program on my computer, not just the OS, and the multitude of Linux flavors does it for me.

I would think of more stuff, but it is time for dinner.... mmmmmmmm :)

Barney

I "still" get a kick out of the Linux users who are so in love with this operating system and yet still "keep" windows around to play games and program. Man, it's a hypocriticle jungle out there......

I "still" get a kick out of the Linux users who are so in love with this operating system and yet still "keep" windows around to play games and program. Man, it's a hypocriticle jungle out there......

585776684[/snapback]

Please make sense, and clerify.

585776684[/snapback]

People keep it around because they have to. Unless they're playing Doom 3 or UT2004 (or some other games), they need windows in order to play those games. I'm sure that most of these people would get rid of windows completely given the oppurtunity.

585776684[/snapback]

What? Complaining about Linux distros or Apple's systems not running games extensively designed for Windows is like complaining about not being able to run games exclusively designed for your X-BOX on your Nintendo GameCube. Point?

At least in many instances painstakingly difficult work has gone into getting some Windows stuff to work under Crossover Office, Cedega, and WINE.

I used Gentoo for a long while, but ultimately, no matter how much configuring and how many different WM's I tried, it still felt like beta software, to be honest.

I kept it around, because it worked well enough for everything, and I liked using it, but one day, I came back to windows, and haven't left since.

I doubled my framerate in UT2004 when I switched to windows. That says a whole lot about Linux Gaming, even when games are designed to run on it. (And yes, I'm sure it wasn't just my driver configuration, etc)

585776684[/snapback]

Trollllllllllllllllll :no:

I use Linux for servers, and Windows for desktops. I wouldnt use Windows for servers unless the prices got much cheaper and it was UNIX based. Which isn't going to happen lol.

I'm Linux-only and don't intend to ever look back - not really, that is. OTOH, I'm into game development, and while Linux is a great development platform, you have to ensure Windows compatibility if you plan to make a dime (except if you're into console-only development, in that case it doesn't really matter whether you use Windows or Linux)...

Everything I need is available for Linux (and that's quite a lot of stuff), and to play a game once in a while, I prefer my PS2 or Gamecube anytime - except for KOTOR2, which works perfectly with Cedega, and Doom? and UT2004, both available for Linux anyway.

BTW, anyone checked the recent news on KDE's Tenor technology? That's the type of stuff I simply love about Linux: it would be next to impossible to introduce and deploy a framework like that at a large scale on any proprietary operating system (no, Apple's Spotlight or WinFS doesn't cut it - Tenor is even more advanced than Beagle, and will be deeply rooted in the KDE framework).

I doubled my framerate in UT2004 when I switched to windows. That says a whole lot about Linux Gaming, even when games are designed to run on it. (And yes, I'm sure it wasn't just my driver configuration, etc)

Your personal experience says a lot about what? :huh:

585776684[/snapback]

*cough*

Just because we "keep" Window$ to play games that dont run in Linux, or with Cedega, or winex, means we don't like Linux? Man, it's a judgemental jungle out there...