Would you ever go back?

No need for me trow away windows, me have uses for both of them, and it didn't hurt to have it around.

personally i spend more time on linux than on windows since i don't play games on computers.

Windows is an excellent OS. Unfortunately it is also very boring. There isn't much that goes wrong with it, you can't get into the guts of it to tweak it the way you want - and it isn't very challenging.

Even after 4 years I still find Linux challenging. Things don't always work - but with sweat and effort and perserverance and intelligence you can often get them to work - eventually. The buzz is when you finally do something you have been trying to do for weeks.

GJ

I love my Linux box. I'll never go back to Windows.

Had to change the password on a PC at work before I sold it off. And I had to get assistance on how to do it :s

We've got a POS Windows machine in the other room. It's there so that mum can play Spider Solitaire.

It's also a good thing when I screw my iPod up too much in Linux and need to starta fresh

Just because we "keep" Window$ to play games that dont run in Linux, or with Cedega, or winex, means we don't like Linux? Man, it's a judgemental jungle out there...

I never said you don't like Linux. I said you tote Linux to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and yet, when you need to, you jump right back into to Windows. Wether it's for playing games,programming or whatever. I'm not being judegmental, I'm seeing it as it is. A bunch of wannabe Ms haters that can't live without Windows...'tis too funny

As soon as someone sides with windows, someone bashes them?? Anyway I have a dual boot with SuSe and XP. I dont think i will ever fully switch over to linux, its just too much trouble to do some of the simplest things, such as install my ATI drivers, that was just rediculous. I love the way linux looks and feels, and will always keep it around, but for me it just dosent quite cut it.

I wouldn't willingly go back to a Windows-only environment. I have Windows sitting on a second harddrive so I can play certain games that aren't supported by Cedega and don't have native Linux ports, but I use Linux for everything else.

That said, playing games is not a big part of my life. So why on earth would I run Windows and Linux when I'm such a "wannabe Microsoft-hater"? Because I can.

Mieky242: That's the thing. Nobody was asking for sides. This wasn't meant to be a Windows vs Linux "discussion" (they very rarely are), but scooby has just gatecrashed this thread and provoked the Linux users with his anti-Linux mockery.

I never said you don't like Linux. I said you tote Linux to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and yet, when you need to, you jump right back into to Windows. Wether it's for playing games,programming or whatever. I'm not being judegmental, I'm seeing it as it is. A bunch of wannabe Ms haters that can't live without Windows...'tis too funny

we arent being microsoft haters, we havent said once in this post that we hate windows or ms. Us that are saying we wouldnt or would never go back to windows, are just fed up with the constant viruses, defragging and spyware, not the OS. I personally dont have a problem with windows, just some of the idiots that use it. Ive also honestly learned alot more with linux than i ever did with windows (used it since 3.1 and dos prompt days) in the past few weeks. Linux just seems more open ended to me then windows did. and remember to plz keep this a flame free thread, i know thats asking alot, but try at least, plz.

I've used Mandrake 10 and Fedora Core 3 with a slew of problems. Debian Unstable has been pretty good to me for the most part. I got no sound but none in Windows either so I think it's something with the piece of shiite onboard card. One other thing i've had problems with is webcams. It seems since I upgraded my kernel, no programs will detect my webcam anymore (Gnomemeeting, Qnext, etc). I haven't been bothered to get it sorted out right away as webcam isn't too important but I will look into it. Anyways, no I would probably not turn back. I'm quite happy with my Debian setup.

I think scoobydoobie misunderstands what this question was supposed to be about. Apparently, he chose not to read the first post where it clearly asks

would you ever go back to only windows?

This question is about using Linux as a primary (or even as a dual-boot) OS. The fact that some Linux users keep a Windows install to play games in is really no more significant than if they had an XBox to play games (OMG! Teh Windoze suxxors! :rolleyes: ). Those people use Linux for their day-to-day computing, and play some games on what amounts to little more than a PC used as a gaming console.

There are some Linux users here (like myself) that use Linux 100% at home. The fact that I use Windows at work doesn't mean anything more significant than my employer uses 100% Windows. There are some just learning and enjoying what they have seen so far. These people may also never go back to Windows only. There are some that try it and just find that they don't like it. In cases where it is a hardware compatibility issue, they my decide to re-visit Linux in another year or so.

I don't hate Windows, nor do I make obnoxious comments about what OS people choose to use.

I also highly recommend that no one try to start a flame-fest in my sections of Neowin. :crazy:

I'm seeing it as it is. A bunch of wannabe Ms haters that can't live without Windows...'tis too funny

585778642[/snapback]

uhm... no :sleep: If it wasn't for windows i wouldn't be with the knowledge of computers and software i have now. I have the upmost respect for Bill, MS, and Windows. Reason i went to Linux is because i wanna learn more, and don't wanna limit my knowledge to just one OS. When LH ships i will be building me a budget/gaming rig for the ability to LEARN that OS too. If it was up to me i'd have Mac for OSX, PC for XP/LH, and my Linux box.

I think scoobydoobie misunderstands what this question was supposed to be about.  Apparently, he chose not to read the first post where it clearly asks

This question is about using Linux as a primary (or even as a dual-boot) OS.  The fact that some Linux users keep a Windows install to play games in is really no more significant than if they had an XBox to play games (OMG! Teh Windoze suxxors! :rolleyes: ).  Those people use Linux for their day-to-day computing, and play some games on what amounts to little more than a PC used as a gaming console.

There are some Linux users here (like myself) that use Linux 100% at home.  The fact that I use Windows at work doesn't mean anything more significant than my employer uses 100% Windows.  There are some just learning and enjoying what they have seen so far.  These people may also never go back to Windows only.  There are some that try it and just find that they don't like it.  In cases where it is a hardware compatibility issue, they my decide to re-visit Linux in another year or so.

I don't hate Windows, nor do I make obnoxious comments about what OS people choose to use.

I also highly recommend that no one try to start a flame-fest in my sections of Neowin. :crazy:

585779323[/snapback]

word, lol.

The fact that MS controls some markets is not grounds to ridicule those people trapped in those markets. I do not use Windows unless I'm being paid to do so OR the rare occasion comes up that I do need access to OS specific games (actually 99.9% of the time that would be ONE game of which there is no alternative equivalent). I indeed dislike MS, no "wannabe" here I can assure you. Make no mistake about it, any and every moment I spend in Window is done grudgingly.. so much so in fact I have been giving serious consideration to starting a project to bring a client for that game to linux.

And to answer the original question, there would have to be massive changes in the way MS is run for me to ever consider going back to Windows. Massive, sweeping, world shaking changes.

I also highly recommend that no one try to start a flame-fest in my sections of Neowin

Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

There's no flame war going on so don't make something into more than what it is.

Get over yourself.  :rolleyes:

There's no flame war going on so don't make something into more than what it is.

585780901[/snapback]

Methinks... young, childish, immature......... :no:

Barney

I'm not being judegmental,

585778642[/snapback]

A bunch of wannabe Ms haters

585778642[/snapback]

Is this not judgemental? Or am I wrong? :rolleyes:

People keep it around because they have to. Unless they're playing Doom 3 or UT2004 (or some other games), they need windows in order to play those games. I'm sure that most of these people would get rid of windows completely given the oppurtunity.

That's true with me. If it wasn't for gaming, I'd be using nothing but Linux. Not that I think Windows deeply s**cks, but it's simply not as smooth as Linux is + Linux can be way more tuned and looks so much better than Windows. Sure, it's a lot of hassle when configuring a fresh installed Linux system, but once everything is in it's place, it's like a dream.

It's truly a pitty I have to use my Windows box daily (next to Linux, of course).

I have to say I'm a noob to linux and succesfully installed Ubuntu 5.04. I have always been a windows user, (Forced by the leading industry), for some number of years now. I also have a G4 laptop running OS X. "Sweet"

I wanted to get out of using the mainstream Windows for a number of reasons, too many to spell out here. Mainly because I like to tinker with the systems and Apple desktops are too pricie for me. Yeah I know I can get a Mac Mini, before anyone chimes in, but theres not much you can do but add memory. No PCI slots or adding a video cards, etc. Let me say that I like the interface in Ubuntu and it seems to be the stable choice as of now. I even got the gdesklets installed. I have tried Mandrake, Mepis, recently Suse 9.3 live. I have been tring these disto's for some time over the past 6 months, I have come to the conclusion that it's just too freakin hard to get use too.

For the normal user it is hard to install software in general. Yeah you can use the apt-get and install software that way and hope that everything works out. For instance,you want to play video's, well just install Mplayer! Right! This may work on 2% of the formats out there. For instance it will not play avi's, wmv's, divx's, xvid's without going through 4 days of searhing user groups to see what codec is causing the problem and try and correct. It took me 2 days to figure out how to play DVD's in XINE. People it should not be this freakin hard.

The file system is another thing that one has to get used to. Nothing like OS X or Windows. For instance try and copy a file to a directory. "You do not have permisison to this directory. I just want to add a freakin file! Yeah I know just use the terminal to do this, BUt what are we back 20 years using DOS again! Apt-Get this, SUDO do that .Install that.

Bottom line: Until Linux gets it in their heads to build a system that one can use on a daily basis without too much trouble, they will stay in the background for a very long time,

Needing permissions to write to folders is a security thing. Give yourself permissions for the folders you use and when dealing with the rest switch to root.

Hiya all,

I've just started to understand that different Operating Systems have their different uses and styles. So I'm out of I hate Macs stage (although they're not my preference). But what really gets to me is the ammount of people who absolutely hate Microsoft (read: Micro$oft). I mean, did Linux ever bring out the PDA, Tablet PC, or a Compact Edition that can be installed on devices? Did Apple do the same? The answer is; no. These are things that make peoples lives so much easier. Just look at some of the comments in this very post: "I've just learned out to install nVidia drivers" (paraphrased). I mean, wow. Microsoft made your lives easier, and all most people can do is sl*g them off (read: call them names). Some people need to show some damn respect! Microsoft bought computing to the masses. If it weren't for Microsoft the computing industry would not be what it is today.

I'm not talking about everyone here - I'm not trying to start a flame war.

Edit: Oh yeah, just to add; feel free to delete this post if it sturs up too much trouble; I'm not trying to raise peoples blood pressure here. :)

- Brent

For the normal user it is hard to install software in general. Yeah you can use the apt-get and install software that way and hope that everything works out. For instance,you want to play video's, well just install Mplayer! Right! This may work on 2% of the formats out there. For instance it will not play avi's, wmv's, divx's, xvid's without going through 4 days of searhing user groups to see what codec is causing the problem  and try and correct. It took me 2 days to figure out how to play DVD's in XINE. People it should not be this freakin hard.

The file system is another thing that one has to get used to. Nothing like OS X or Windows. For instance try and copy a file to a directory. "You do not have permisison to this directory. I just want to add a freakin file! Yeah I know just use the terminal to do this, BUt what are we back 20 years using DOS again!  Apt-Get this, SUDO do that .Install that.

Bottom line: Until Linux gets it in their heads to build a system that one can use on a daily basis without too much trouble, they will stay in  the background for a very long time,

585794351[/snapback]

I disagree with everything you post. For the new user it might be hard to install software, if you don't read your distro's FAQ, but once you understand the package management system, it is usually much easier to install software than in windows.

The command line is the best part of linux, and its strongest. It is way more powerful than point and click. I personally HATE the new point and click direction that linux seems to be going, if it gets to where the CLI is as unimportant as Windows, then it basically has become windows. Linux is for the user who wants to understand, not for ignorant spectators.

I hate seeing posts like, I use the network configuration tool and it didn't work, or I used SWAT and samba doesn't work, or my soundcard wasn't autodetected, what do I do? I understand everyone starts somewhere, but I learned on my own, using google, and most importantly the command line.

I use Linux on my desktops and have to say I don't have any trouble. If you want to understand how things work, use Linux or unix, if you don't care, use OSX or Windows.

I WENT back. Linux is still not ready for me. Yes, you read right, linux is not ready FOR ME.

I mean, for the kind of user I represent, digital designers.

I WENT back. Linux is still not ready for me. Yes, you read right, linux is not ready FOR ME.

I mean, for the kind of user I represent, digital designers.

585794501[/snapback]

Well for digital image editing ( ;) ) Theres always Gimpshop

Well for digital image editing ( ;) ) Theres always Gimpshop

585794503[/snapback]

Thats not even close. The key for designs its not to have a bunch of tools to make pretty things. Its all about color managament. The Gimp do an horrible job in real world color management.

That goes the same way about, for example, color calibrators (none on Linux as far as I know), etc.