56k connecting at 115

I have a 56k modem as my default modem. I also have another modem on my mother board. Lately, the dial-up conncetion status has been saying that the connection is 115k. This is strange and could be a fault, but web pages have been faster loading up, and downloading is fast as hell. What has happened?

Originally posted by PigeonHead

Me to a few days ago now back to 48. with a zoom v92 I think it just has to do with how you hook up with the isp I went to a web page that tested speed of your modem and my modem test at 48 and my modem was saying 115 sorry i cant be of more help like to know more myself

I also once had a Win 98 setup which showed BS reading of modem connection. I think it's a win 98/ISP deal, your modem and their modem "handshake" in a way which results in a false reading.

It is possable that both modems are running at the same time and are boasting up the signal............and yes it can be done in windows...........A Tech told me me this long time ago

Yeah, that's not your real connection speed... first of all, it says "bps" meaning BITS PER SECOND... not KILOBITS per second, and certainly not KILOBYTES per second... this number is displayed when the drivers you use for your modem don't let you properly detect the speed you are connected at. I had the same thing happen to me with an old US Robotics modem after I upgraded my PC to Windows 98. Maybe try getting some up-to-date drivers...

damn, never said broadband users to do a dialup user's job... swear!

Originally posted by JnCoKiLLa

It is possable that both modems are running at the same time and are boasting up the signal............and yes it can be done in windows...........A Tech told me me this long time ago

How do I do this?

there's a builtin feature somewhere in dialup networking... this option has to be supported by the ISP... the theory is similar to connection sharing but on their end, since both modems have to dial in to the same account on their network. plus, you have to have more than one modem installed in ur computer.

haha you guys...

115kps is between your modem and your computer. its not your line. theres an extra command you put into your dialup preferences that will make it display the actual connection speed. newer os's set it by default but i remember my win95 + 98 would always report 115kps. cant defy the laws of physics

Originally posted by xEonBuRn

there's a builtin feature somewhere in dialup networking... this option has to be supported by the ISP... the theory is similar to connection sharing but on their end, since both modems have to dial in to the same account on their network. plus, you have to have more than one modem installed in ur computer.

it was called 'shotgun' and close to no isps supported it

Phone lines can physically only take a maximum baud rate of 56k (thousand) on the standard dialup MODEMs. You may be looking at the bitrate or something :)