56k connecting at 115

Don"t think its a bug in win 98 only-i run win xp home and from time to tme a will connect at 115.2 KBTS/SEC. and not my normal 53.2. Pges do load faster and thats the truth!

Originally posted by bedneyshields

Don"t think its a bug in win 98 only-i run win xp home and from time to tme a will connect at 115.2 KBTS/SEC. and not my normal 53.2. Pges do load faster and thats the truth!

Its a psycological effect, your modem string is somehow reporting the COM port speed that you modem is connected on. Its displaying the max speed between the modem and the motherboard PCI bus. It does not make your modem faster. You guys a kidding yourselves. I was stuck on a crappy phone line with a max 28.8k a seecond connection for 5 years, I have tried everything, you get what you get.

You can link two modems together as a single connection (even more than two) using multilink. ISDN uses ppp multilink to combine 2 channels to get 128k.

Most ISPs can do it, its just that very few of them will configure it for modem users.

Originally posted by PigeonHead

status.jpg

the speed listed there is the *burst rate* - when you download things... see the kb/s <--- that will tell you the actual downloads speeds... if your on 56k shouldn't really go higher then 7k/sec

MdSalih

Originally posted by PigeonHead

status.jpg

You think you could get more than 217K in almost 7 min if you were connected that fast?

port.jpg

AGAIN, the modem string is set to display the COM port speed, not the modem connection speed. Change the port setting speed and you will change the connection speed that is displayed.

• 2 weeks later...

sum peeple r so stupid sheesh if u dont have the right drivers installed for your modem then u can set the modem speed to whatever you want and it will show up as that but not really be that speed. also to the dude saying its bps NOT KBPS 115,200 BPS is 115.2 KBPS this is the max your cable to your computer can do you can not connect at this speed to your ISP. So it is fulse, it only looks faster because you r insane i'd check yourself into a hospital quickly!!:p