Linux for my sister

I just got my sister to switch to ubuntu... she likes it more than windows!

go figure... I really am starting to like the linux community and the way linux works. Ubuntu is a really great distro too. Anyone else's sister running linux... i don't think so. :p

I would encourage everyone that hasn't tried linux yet to give Ubuntu a try!

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

http://www.ubuntuguide.org

Edited by thechitowncubs

Yeah..I tried putting Ubuntu on virtualpc last week and it was very nice and easy to install. Im still not ready to go linux yet because of certain hardware support issues. That and the fact its impossible to set things up.

Yay for your sister. I may be making to switch to Linux myself soon. Looking at Fedora. :D

585825387[/snapback]

Please not Fedora :'( Try a Debian-child first. Fedora eats babies. And creates rifts in the space-time continuum. Okay, maybe not. But it is pretty bloated. And tends to have dependency issues if you're not careful to install from only approved repo's.

Yeah..I tried putting Ubuntu on virtualpc last week and it was very nice and easy to install. Im still not ready to go linux yet because of certain hardware support issues. That and the fact its impossible to set things up.

585825382[/snapback]

Set things up... actually, you'd be surprised at how easy it is in Ubuntu.

Anyways... what hardware is unsupported for you?

Please not Fedora :'( Try a Debian-child first. Fedora eats babies. And creates rifts in the space-time continuum. Okay, maybe not. But it is pretty bloated. And tends to have dependency issues if you're not careful to install from only approved repo's.

585825423[/snapback]

Already set it up on Virtual PC. So far so good. :p

I tried setting up my sister with gentoo. Didn't work out because she thought it wasn't usable because GAIM sucks. so wiped it and she's back on windows. Shes highly dependent on Direct IM and file transfering. And I have yet to discover how to use these things in GAIM.

585825423[/snapback]

does that mean that Fedora eats Debian-children? I'm a Fedora fan.

I tried setting up my sister with gentoo. Didn't work out because she thought it wasn't usable because GAIM sucks. so wiped it and she's back on windows. Shes highly dependent on Direct IM and file transfering. And I have yet to discover how to use these things in GAIM.

585825654[/snapback]

AOL has a linux aim build: http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=

I'll be trying ubuntu when my CD comes in the mail, but I don't now about setting up my siblings with Linux. They still have to learn Macs at school, as well as Windows, so I don't think they'll be learning a 3rd OS anytime soon.

WOW ...... \ / for your sister .... wow .. i am proud of her. i got some cousins ... and i am trying to tell everyone Linux is ready for everyone ... dont be lazy ... do it ... get it installed.

just today one of my cousins is bringing his laptop home and has requested me to install Ubuntu on it. :D

go figure...  I really am starting to like the windows community and the way linux works.

585825334[/snapback]

Me thinks that surely you have a typo in your first post. :ermm: :laugh:

I started with Mandrake, then SuSE, then Mandrake again, then to Gentoo.

Gentoo tends to be a bit of a pain in the ass to install, but once you get it done, you'll thank yourself for it ;).

id switch if there were only more games that supported linux

585825415[/snapback]

You could always use wine to run your games and windows apps. I was looking at a way to run Mathcad 12 as I use it for my Uni work and found that whilst 12, which uses .Net, won't run, Mathcad 11 will work.

This site has a fair few bits of info to get certain apps running well using Wine. Includes games too. I've seen some other sites with info on getting other games running well on Linux. Not old games though, there are a fair few new games that will run well too.

Failing that you could always dual boot and boot into Windows for the games that won't run on Linux.

(Can you tell that I'm considering the switch??)

I was using Ubuntu for a few days. It's a great distro.

I'm going to try it on my spare movie PC once more, and if I can get the TV-out to work and get DIV installed, I will keep it installed.

Me thinks that surely you have a typo in your first post. :ermm: :laugh:

585826334[/snapback]

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Ya, most definetly :wacko:

Well, if the nvidia drivers would work with my vid card, I'd scrap windows altogether.

If I'm going to have to play 3d games in whine, might as well do it right, right?

I m half way with my conversion :-D

Been using both Linux and Windows (i have two PCs on my desk) The only thing stopping me from switching is that i play a lot of windows-only games.

Did anyone try Cedega? How does it perform?

I m half way with my conversion :-D

Been using both Linux and Windows (i have two PCs on my desk)  The only thing stopping me from switching is that i play a lot of windows-only games. 

Did anyone try Cedega?  How does it perform?

585826540[/snapback]

I have actually and was impressed w/ Half-Life performance...

not much of a diff between windows