AIM Triton beta 0.1.12

I would say it is highly doubtful they are removing the ads. After all, it doesn't look like they are listening at all to what customers want, with the inclusion of the AOL Browser in 5.9.x, which looks like might carry over into Triton. However, if they do remove the ads, it will probably just move to the upcoming free 2gb AOL webmail/IMAP using your AIM name. (Or just keep both, and double the ads)

Edited by VikingStorm

I'm just curious on why they would have a screenshot of the Triton buddy list on the front page of beta.aol.com without an ad? Since the other screens of the buddy list on the test page show ads, I just thought that was a bit interesting.

I'm just curious on why they would have a screenshot of the Triton buddy list on the front page of beta.aol.com without an ad? Since the other screens of the buddy list on the test page show ads, I just thought that was a bit interesting.

585905954[/snapback]

It simply looks a lot more appealing.

That is what we ALL think... would it really be a good buisness model" "lets show a screen shot with no ad, then when they download the beta and final builds of Triton, we will throw a huge ad in their face". What is with the hidden ad feature in prefs? This just seems really strange to me....?

That is what we ALL think... would it really be a good buisness model" "lets show a screen shot with no ad, then when they download the beta and final builds of Triton, we will throw a huge ad in their face". What is with the hidden ad feature in prefs? This just seems really strange to me....?

585906091[/snapback]

It's there, probably, so that the client can be used in coporate regions without the ads.

:x I'll switch to GAIM before going to this :no:

585829301[/snapback]

why troll here !

nice i might give AIM a chance but i have no BUddies on aim LOL

why troll here  ! 

nice i might give AIM a chance  but i have no  BUddies on aim LOL

585906344[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to troll... I was stating my opinion on the new version of AIM. I have used previous versions of AIM and didn't mind UI, however, Triton just looks horrible and that was my point. No trolling :no:

05/11 - The Message Boards are now accessible to both AIM and AOL screen names. Also, changes have been made to the Bug Report form. If you experience any connectivity issues with the AIM Triton beta software please use the the new bug report form.

Message boards still don't work for me. Anyone else able to get in?

You beat me to this... I remember posting how I could not get to the message boards - they are now accessible for me, as stated on the news/updates. You can always try the basic stuff like clearing cookies and cache, then try to get to the boards again.

I like this. It has the look to be clean and simple, and reminds me of the old AIM and MSN. I liked some of the new features, but I wound up uninstalling it for a few reasons (although, I may put the newer beta on when that comes out).

the two things that caused me to uninstall:

1) It installed all the AOL stuff. Having the AOL system tray was confusing. I didn't appreciate having that loaded on me, but from what I can figure out playing with this, this was the imbeded AIM that they're trying to build from (I always liked the imbeded one better)

2) It didn't remember what I did to it. It completely forgot how I had it positioned and what buddy groups I wanted shown. I tried twice, but it kept wanting to dock to the side, and show me every group. I don't like seeing who's offline.

It has a way to go till I'd switch completly over, but I'll still help bug shoot and test out. AOL seems to listen when people give constructive feedback, I know I complained about a few features during the 5.x betas that they would take out and subsequently put back in or change to the old way (cuz it worked better). :)

• 2 months later...

I just downloaded it an am looking for the folder where you change not too have add's but cant find it can anyone help? i also tried viewing hidden folders, but that still doesnt help

I just downloaded it an am looking for the folder where you change not too have add's but cant find it can anyone help? i also tried viewing hidden folders, but that still doesnt help

• 1 month later...
It's most likely got debug symbols enabled, so RAM usage will be bloated. When the compile it under a release profile, it should go back down a bit.

585829367[/snapback]

And considering it's Java it won't go down that much. AIM is getting to be too clunky. This will definitely never be installed.