[Science] Supercomputer Eavesdrops on Universe

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) -- Europe's biggest supercomputer will crunch data from thousands of radio antennae eavesdropping on the history of the universe, its Dutch developers and U.S. computer giant IBM said on Tuesday.

The computer, based in the northern Netherlands, will process signals from up to 13 billion light years from Earth -- as far back in time as the beginnings of the earliest stars and galaxies after the formation of the universe.

"Unlike current observatories that use large optical mirrors or radio dishes to point to distant galaxies, ASTRON will harness more than 25,000 simple radio antennas," IBM and Netherlands Foundation for Research in Astronomy (ASTRON) said.

Running on 12,000 PowerPC microprocessors, the computer can execute 27.4 Teraflops, or 27.4 trillion floating-point operations, per second, the two organizations said in a statement.

While that makes it Europe's most powerful computer in terms of sustained performance and ahead of Barcelona's MareNostrum, the world's biggest computer remains the United States-based BlueGene with a capacity of 70.1 Teraflops, according to ranking Web site www.top500.org.

source:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/04/26/superco...reut/index.html

At least with two computers they can play HL2 with no probs :p

585848141[/snapback]

See this is the kind of posts everyone is talking about, regarding mature topics. please does EVERYTHING have to be a joke?

See this is the kind of posts everyone is talking about, regarding mature topics. please does EVERYTHING have to be a joke?

585848184[/snapback]

Is it everyone or just you? Maybe I was reflecting on how I viewed the original post, I seem to think its quite silly that people are still trying to find out how we got here, when most of us already know.

People would react the same way, if not worse, if I were to post a thread about Jesus starting the universe.

relax mate, you are getting upset at your computer screen..