More evidence for Apple's move to Intel?

It's true that Apple will be moving to Intel processors - but before you go switching, be aware that Apple will also be developing their own mother board hardware to go with this. The fact that it will be running Intel does not mean that you can plonk a new copy of OSX Intel version on your stock standard PC.

It would be beneficial for apple to open their system out to work on a standard PC architecture. For staters, the software would be pirated all over the world and in no time at all Apple would hold at least 50% of the market.

People would then be talking about nothing but Apple and more and more people would be going out and getting a legit copy of the software/ hardware.

It's no secret that Microsoft allows continual leaks of their OS as they know how this will spread and benefit them in the longrun.

585849615[/snapback]

God, please make stupidity like this stop.

It's true that Apple will be moving to Intel processors - but before you go switching, be aware that Apple will also be developing their own mother board hardware to go with this. The fact that it will be running Intel does not mean that you can plonk a new copy of OSX Intel version on your stock standard PC.

It would be beneficial for apple to open their system out to work on a standard PC architecture. For staters, the software would be pirated all over the world and in no time at all Apple would hold at least 50% of the market.

People would then be talking about nothing but Apple and more and more people would be going out and getting a legit copy of the software/ hardware.

It's no secret that Microsoft allows continual leaks of their OS as they know how this will spread and benefit them in the longrun.

585849615[/snapback]

Are you trying to say that its not just as easy to get a pirated copy of OSX? Because trust me it is.

No.  Not at all.  This is coming from a (well-known mostly respected) source who claims to know for sure that Apple is in the process of preparing to switch to Intel because they were having supply issues with IBM and were unable to produce a notebook version of the G5 due to the massive power requirements and heat output.

I'm not saying it's true, but it is a NEW source with a reasonable motivation for Apple make the "switch."

585849617[/snapback]

I don't care that it's Thurrott saying this. He's still just "overheard" things about Apple moving to Intel. He has no evidence at all, so it's entirely speculation.

IBM had initial supply issues, but so did everyone else with the move to 90nm. Why move from one to another when there is no specific advantage that is offered?

585849615[/snapback]

Hello? McFly? What do people use their computers for? They run third-party software. Do you think people just boot up windows to play solitaire?

Where is the equivalent of the VPU (Altivec) in the Intel world? It does not exists. Developer cannot just recompile software which depends on a specific architecture and have it "just work". An OS without software is dead.

You have all fallen for the same hoax/rumour John Dvorak tried in 2003 around the time of the introduction of the G5.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,939886,00.asp

Paul and John are both trying to manipulate the stock market with false rumours. This is precisely why rumour sites are dangerous.

Edited by aristotle-dude

Apple isn't going to have an X86 OS until either:

A. Their hardware is so much faster than anyone else they don't have to worry about competition at all (like quantum leaps above anything else).

B. They lose large amounts of money with their hardware.

Apple doesn't want just raw marketshare at the loss of a complete marketshare (hardware+software). They can squeeze out more money selling both together than just one or the other.

I think this is still being confused...

Apple is NOT planning on moving OSX to the PC (x86)

Apple MAY BE planning on switching the company that produces their processors

585849122[/snapback]

ditto

Apple will NEVER leave the RISC architecture...

For all of you that didnt know already.

Apple has had a very similar version of OSX (It's direct predecesor Rhapsody) on the x86 platform for years now in fact it was going ot be released on to the intel platform

the problem that occured was simple, no x86 compiled Rhapsody programs.

Whats going on with Intel and Apple? No Clue. But whatever it is, i cant wait.

oh i guess i should justify what i said

http://www.pegasus3d.com/rhapsody/rhapsody_screens.html

Can you saw Shock and Awe?

I don't think that apple would ever moce to x86. It would probably ruin its stability rep. One of the only resons why OSX is more stable is that Apple maked the hardware so they don't have to worry about driver problems. Drivers are one of the biggest problems with windows. Most BSOD's can be associated with faulty drivers.

Ehhrm like said before why does it have to be a x86 processor... why can't intel just take over what IBM is doing... hasn't anybody considered that to be WAY MORE LOGICAL then anything else?

I mean, it just wouldn't make sense for them to leave the PowerPC / RISC architecture thing at ALL...

I don't think that apple would ever moce to x86. It would probably ruin its stability rep. One of the only resons why OSX is more stable is that Apple maked the hardware so they don't have to worry about driver problems. Drivers are one of the biggest problems with windows. Most BSOD's can be associated with faulty drivers.

585853293[/snapback]

Nothing to do with stability.

RISC processors perform faster than SISC hybrids in regard to graphic design. Which is Apples market.

I doubt it, Apple's still a hardware company. Selling Mac OS X to x86 compatible companies will make them lots of money in the short term but they will get into financial problems in the long run. The profit they're making from Mac OS X is hardly enough to sustain the company. "Nobody" will buy relatively expensive Apple hardware if they can get a Compaq running Mac OS X for ?500,- with way more superior hardware (Think Mac Mini).

Not to mention how hard it will be for them to make Mac OS X run perfectly on all types of x86 hardware as it does now on Macs. I'm not even sure if they'll manage to do something like that without compromising the system's stability and features.

Edited by PureLogic

It's been posted(/quoted) about 3 times already, and nobody seems to grasp the fact that intel would probably just make the PPC(-like) chips instead of IBM :\

not x86.

They will not switch, x86 is too lagged behind in terms of performance to meet the needs of OS X i think, so it'll be a hassle for them. Ofcourse if OS X was made to run on x86 then anybody would switch/dual boot, but i don't see it happening.

It's been posted(/quoted) about 3 times already, and nobody seems to grasp the fact that intel would probably just make the PPC(-like) chips instead of IBM :\

not x86.

585853477[/snapback]

Yeah of course. :)

For all of you that didnt know already.

Apple has had a very similar version of OSX (It's direct predecesor Rhapsody) on the x86 platform for years now in fact it was going ot be released on to the intel platform

the problem that occured was simple, no x86 compiled Rhapsody programs.

Whats going on with Intel and Apple? No Clue. But whatever it is, i cant wait.

oh i guess i should justify what i said

http://www.pegasus3d.com/rhapsody/rhapsody_screens.html

Can you saw Shock and Awe?

585853179[/snapback]

No, that's not shock and awe. Anyone who has not been under a rock knows that. They would also know that NeXT (which was founded and run by Steve Jobs) was bought out by Apple after it failed to garner enough support for it's X86 version of NeXTStep. Finally, they would also know that Rhapsody's direct predecessor was *gasp* NeXTStep.

I don't think you will see Steve Jobs wanting to try this again given that he already tried it once with NeXTStep and developer hated having to provide two binaries (X86 and Motorola 68K) in each app package.

I fail to see the point of Intel developing PPC CPUs for Apple instead of IBM given that Intel has been having problems with their own transition to the 90nm process and has not been able to get past the 4GHz barrier.

The clock speeds for the P4 have been quite stagnant these past few years and the Xeon processor was even more stagnant.

The Xeon was crippled by a shared cache in SMP mode and had a very slow FSB.

Liquid: if you hate windows some much why do you still use it?

585849650[/snapback]

G A M E S -compatebility ???

Or maybe the fact that >90% o/t world uses M$ windows.

And x86 pc's are so much cheaper than for instance a G5 Mac.

I think what Apple will do is provide OS X for Intel just like Microsoft provides Windows and makes a gazzillion off of it. if people start buying lesser Apple Hardware because its going to Intel then that also means all the intel users will also start BUYING OS X Operating system , I think Apple will still have PPC based systems but it will still have Windows Based Operating system. just look at ipod, after coming it windows after that it became dominant, similiarly no one talked about iTunes or Quicktime until it actually moved to Windows. Same thing will happen to OS X. they will become a software company but still maintain and PPC hardware base. They will still provide screens and mouse and keyboards.

I think what Apple will do is provide OS X for Intel just like Microsoft provides Windows and makes a gazzillion off of it. if people start buying lesser Apple Hardware because its going to Intel then that also means all the intel users will also start BUYING OS X Operating system , I think Apple will still have PPC based systems but it will still have Windows Based Operating system. just look at ipod, after coming it windows after that it became dominant, similiarly no one talked about iTunes or Quicktime until it actually moved to Windows. Same thing will happen to OS X. they will become a software company but still maintain and PPC hardware base. They will still provide screens and mouse and keyboards.

585853869[/snapback]

Your post makes no sense. Why would they make a windows based OS?

I don't think you really understand what CPU, OSes and software are or how they relate to each other.

For example, if MS had a version of windows that could run on PPC CPUs, it would not be able to run CX86 windows programs without a CPU emulator running in the background resulting in very slow performance.

Your comment about iTunes and Quicktime really makes me think you don't understand the difference between an Operating System and an Application. Quicktime for windows and iTunes are windows applications with custom DLLs which implement parts of carbon. It does share some code with the mac version. If Apple did port OSX to X86, it would not run on top of windows or run windows applications. You would have to dual boot between windows and OSX like you do with linux.

I don't think you understand that OSX is successful because of third-party developer like adobe and the MBU at MSFT and if OSX was ported to Intel, they would drop support for OS X. Do you really think the developers for all those cool OS X apps would want to develop for both hardware platforms?

This whole "OS X on X86" is a very old fanboy dream/fantasy and I'm quite tired of hearing about it every year.

yea good lord it has been said countless times, it will not happen. it all comes down to money and apple will loose out if the go x86. they have thier systems performing perfect since every little detail is controlled by them..thats what makes Macs so great

I don't think Apple will move to x86, maybe they are afraid that Xbox360 will absorb all powerPC processor demand, and designing a cheap Intel-branded PPC processor

If Apple did port OSX to X86, it would not run on top of windows or run windows applications.

585854096[/snapback]

If they ported OsX to x86 (Wich I don't think will happen) would be a lot easier to run Windows applications than OSX apps, they could port and implement WINE on OSX86, with that they would have lots of windows apps from the begining. They would need to work very hard on WINE...

also, don't you find ironic that once MS entered the PPC market, Apple is interested in Intel...

Apple won't switch to x86.... they are all about everything being propriatery.... makes it easier to service and troubleshoot, causes less problems. The moment the were to open it up, they would be screwed. Intel will simply make a PowerPC like chip... custom for apple.