How stable is Windows XP SP1?

84 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is Windows XP SP1?

• More Stable
    • Less Stable

Dooooh! I was told elsewhere to keep StyleXP installed..

DANGIT... grrr. Sorry man, I'll unistall and do this again, lol

and no I didn't get promted for the CD

Originally posted by PRO-Network

Dooooh! I was told elsewhere to keep StyleXP installed..

DANGIT... grrr. Sorry man, I'll unistall and do this again, lol

and no I didn't get promted for the CD

if you are not getting prompted for the cd then you still have a uxtheme.dll somewhere.

my next post will be the final solution wait a few minutes

I noticed that sp1 created another dllcache of sorts

the first thing you want to do is make sure there isn't another backup, so in the windows folder look for the servicepackfiles folder. it might be hidden. and move it to documents and settings

now type dllcache in run and look to see that it's empty. if it's not delete whats inside.

open the system32 folder and either click the search button, or hit F3, and search for uxtheme, and delete all of them except for the one that is currently running. don't worry windows shouldn't let you delete that one.

if you feel confident that there isn't another uxtheme file that will interfere with the file name changeing then put both uxtheme.dll.new and ux.bat in the system32 folder and double click the bat file.

after you do that you will be prompted to put in the xp cd. HIT the cancel button then hit the yes button that follows

if all that happens all you will need to do is reboot the computer.

the original will be the one without the file extention if you want to save it as a backup

fr33k, I here-on will call you the XP genious. You had it right. Their was a chache in the i386 folder under the service packs... and that's what was screwing it up. I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm. Gave me a bit of a scare when I clicked the .bat file and nothing happened, then suddenly I finally got that insert CD message and I knew it was gonna work. Held my breath and rebooted, and sure enough Styles are working on my computer again. I appreciate your help and your patience... and I can assure you my crew and team will to. I'll post this patch up on the PRONetwork tomorrow afternoon.

Again thanks... very much appreciated.

what i dont get is why everyone is so eager to patch up a freaking BETA of a sp

by doing this you 1. let microsoft know how easy it is to surpass their crappy efforts in turn making them beef it up in the final

2. waste time because it expires and you will move on to the final anyway.

if not for everyone trying to get around WPA when it was first featured in a whistler build im sure the simplest method would have worked and no one would have needed the Corp build.

Originally posted by fr33k

download again I put the exe inside of the zip :D

http://www.geocities.com/xfr33kx/shell/

just make sure that they delete or move the backup files

This is what I've posted on my forum.. and linked to from my site.

This will fix Styles for the Service Pack... this will DEFINATELY work. Don't give up on this if you're new to this... I've done it step by step, and if I can do it... anyone can with these instructions.... I hope at least.

First, Unistall ANY program by TGT called Style XP, all versions. YOU WILL NOT need to EVER re-install it.

It has been confirmed that SP1 for XP creates another "dllcache" of sorts on another part of the Hard drive. The first thing you want to do is make sure there isn't another backup of the dllcache (we'll get to what dllcache is in a sec). You can do this by going into your /Windows folder and looking for the /ServicePackFiles folder. Look for a file called uxtheme.dll, and CUT it from that folder and place it somewhere else that's safe... preferably in your My Documents folder. You shouldn't have to deal with this file anymore... it's there for backup only.

Next step is to make sure the dllcache is empty. The dllcache is the folder that basically holds your backup dll files. In this case we are dealing with a file called, uxtheme.dll. A dll file is just like any other file, only we don't deal with them as often. The first thing you want to do to make sure the dllcache folder is empty is go to Start - Run and then type "dllcache" in (without the quotes). A folder will pop up... make sure that it's empty. If it's not delete whats inside; and you can try this manually or by going to Start - Run and typing in "sfc /purgecache" (without the quotes). Then you may want to check that it's empty again per the instructions above... Start - Run - type in "dllcache".

Next step open the /System32 folder (it's inside the Windows folder also) and either click the search button (located at the top), or hit F3. In either case the search windows should appear to the left, and then you can type in "uxtheme" (without quotes). Delete all of the files it finds except for the one that is currently running. You don't have to worry about deleting the running file, because Windows won't let you. Just make sure all the others are gone, except for the one it won't allow you to delete.

If you feel confident that there isn't another uxtheme in any of these places, then you can download this file HERE or here--> (http://www.pronetwork.org/sp1_uxthemedll.zip). Place it on your desktop, and unzip the files inside it (you should have a 'uxtheme.bat' file, and a 'uxtheme.dll.new' file). Take BOTH the files and put them in the /System32 folder. Then double click the 'uxtheme.bat' file.

Give it a sec to work. You may see a little black DOS window open and close quickly. Then you should be prompted to put in the XP CD. HIT the cancel button then hit the yes button that follows. Don't worry, you didn't just replace something that will kill your PC, lol. The next step is simple...

REBOOT the PC. After you have done this, you should be back to the main defualt theme Windows initially comes with. DO NOT RE-INSTALL STYLE XP, you no longer need it at all. Your computer will handle themes on its own now. Download your favorite them, and then install it. You can do this by going to /Windows/Resources/Themes, and clicking on the file of your choice. Viola... your themes should be working again.

Enjoy!

John C. Derrick

CEO - PRO Network

~Thanks to: fr33k @ neowin.net ~

thats cool

but you might want to make a step by step like you posted earlier

and here is the one for those who haven't installed xp

http://us.share.geocities.com/xfr33kx/xfiles/

download the uxthemedll.zip

you can download the other files too, but the sfcdisable I wouldn't mess with

also if you like chaninjas blockos downloads the sp1_ninjashell.zip

http://us.share.geocities.com/xfr33kx/sp1/

sp1 files moved

it doesn't have any blockos icons just the avi's

it's much much more stable for me. also I can now use STR mode and Hibernate which I couldn't before because of some bug I could go into the modes but when I came out my system always would lock up I'm glad it was leaked and the uxtheme is stored in another folder on your system it's in the C:WINDOWSServicePackFilesi386 folder I know I had to replace it here to make it work for me

I think that for the most part it is much more stable. But then I installed it over a clean install of XP. BTW watch out if you use Hibernate. It creates a file called hiberfil.sys which for some reason is not defragable... its also a BIG mutha at 255mb.

Pro-Network.... I used the instructions on your site for patching uxtheme.dll and it worked flawlessly.... Thanks to all of you who talk us through! :old:

Q2s

Well from the poll it looked like i should install it, and i did, and i rebooted, and it wouldn't boot, just kept restarting with a sort of blue screen flash each time. So looks like they need to do a bit more work on it :D

Originally posted by Truman

Well from the poll it looked like i should install it, and i did, and i rebooted, and it wouldn't boot, just kept restarting with a sort of blue screen flash each time. So looks like they need to do a bit more work on it :D

same situation ;)

i ran into that problem the first time i put it in, rebooted and it gave me a reg error on a blue screen. had to format but after that it worked fine.

TS

Originally posted by T0Y S0LDIER

i ran into that problem the first time i put it in, rebooted and it gave me a reg error on a blue screen. had to format but after that it worked fine.

TS

Did you try F8 then 'last known good configuration'? i chose this option and it booted fine.

This is weird now, before it didn't even boot, now i've just done a clean install and then installed SP1 striaght after and it appears to be working fine. I have a feeling that it might have been a driver problem. Anyone else out there who couldn't get it to boot, try a clean install and see if it works :D