[Soccer] Do Chelsea Deserve the League Title?

Well its now confirmed that chelsea are the premiership champions.

However, they have spent over ?200 million on players in TWO seasons.

I dislike man utd with a passion but have a grudging respect for what they and Arsenal have achieved for they have done it with a combination of hard work, training and some spending.

Chelsea have simply bought the title......should therefore there be a cap on the amount of money spent by a club in a season, should clubs be made to have a certain number of players that have come throught THEIR youth system in their team??

Personally, i think that chelsea don't deserve much respect for what they have done this season, it is all down to the fact that they have spent soooo much money, and i for one am looking forward to the day that mr abramovich gives up playing real life championship manager and buggers off to formula 1.

Even though you support liverpool, I totally agree with you. And I'd like to say the same to you, for what you said about Man U. Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal have been dominating all through the past 2 decades (mostly) and none of them have bought anything. It's been mainly pure grit and determination.

People say that Man U are the richest club in the world. And they say why don't they buy the title? Well first of all Man U didn't come into interest of any Russian Billionare. It's because of they're success.

I would like to add that Sir Alex doesn't want to spend all that money because they've got a good enough team. He doesn't just focus on buying players and then putting them in the 1st team. He gets lots of players from the Manchester training academy.

They completely deserve the title and have played very well this season. They have just dominated with the money avaible to them which is what manchester utd have done for the last decade

Alex F is a drunk and an aggressive arogant man who gets angry when he doesnt get what he wants he doesnt deserver the title of Sir and most certainly should no longer be incharge of a high status club such as Manchester United

i for one , think they have bought the title , i support blackburn rovers , and h8 liverpool and man u but have loathed cheasle with a passion lol ,

i hope liverpool beat them :)

Its a sad but they deserve it. No matter how much they spent or other teams didn't. They still won on the pitch.

If another team needs to spend over 200million to beat them, that's not Chelski's fault. Spend money or play better.... simple

Unfortunatley, they have been the best team this season, so yes they deserve it.

Damn them!

Hope we beat them on 10th May!!!! LOL

(Im Man Utd fan!)

I agree with you spa2k, look at united when they won the titles, giggs, scholes, butt, the neville brothers, beckham, they were the heart of the team and they came up through the ranks at united...

chelsea have just gone and bought anyone they want and now they have the money they seem to think that they can just throw themselves around...as a fine isn't going to hurt them :(

I agree... the problem is:

Chelsea will spend another 250mil+ over the next 3-4 seasons. They will become the only team that wins anything in the UK for the next 5-10 years.

:no:

They completely deserve the title and have played very well this season. They have just dominated with the money avaible to them which is what manchester utd have done for the last decade

585856081[/snapback]

I dont debate the fact that they have played well, however, for most of the season they have been decidedly average, it is only when Robben and Duff play that they look anything like the Arsenal of last season.

Manchester Utd (and being an LFC fan, i have a deep hatred of anything remotely manc) have worked for their domination of the league and as already stated have (had) many players that came through the ranks....chelsea have 1 (John Terry)

Alex F is a drunk and an aggressive arogant man who gets angry when he doesnt get what he wants he doesnt deserver the title of Sir and most certainly should no longer be incharge of a high status club such as Manchester United

585856087[/snapback]

Regardless of my opinion of Alex F, the only manager in history that has bettered his achievements is the great Bob Paisley......Maurinho isn't a patch on either of those two and until he has achieved half of the aforementioneds trophies he shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath.

LFC, Arsenal and the mancs are all clubs steeped in history and achievement, Chelski are simply a club that struck it rich and are ruining the game of football, their treatment of Ranieri last season sums up the whole attitude of the club.

I think chelsea do deserve the title due to their playing this season...lampard and terry have been outstanding all season for them...but on the case of buying the title...yeh they have paid ?200m over the last 2 years and of course look united and arsenal who have had players come up through the ranks but thats enough of my 2 cents:))

Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal have been dominating all through the past 2 decades (mostly) and none of them have bought anything. It's been mainly pure grit and determination.

585856075[/snapback]

How is that so, we have spent alot of money spent by gerard houllier, mostly a waste and the likes of yourselves, Kleberson, Veron, Deigo Forlan, Louis Saha (He's ok but you have better) And other big names like Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney. Arsenal too have spent a fair bit.

I have mixed feelings, half says yes half says no, Money helps alot, but Jose Mourinho did it with Porto and he's backed it up again. So I think on that fact they fully deserve it. Hopefully that's it for them. ;)

They have got a bit of an advantage and is that in the rules of fair play, maybe a law should be introduced, saying how much a team can spend per season because they take the p*ss. This aint SuperMarket Sweep ya know Chelski fella.

doesn't matter how much you spend , have a look in Spanish league Real Madrid have spent millions and millions of Euros and they still are pretty average. Since chelsea was more stable during the league and played better football AND won the most games , it is only fair to admit they are the best for the current season.

88M ? of that sum was used in paying off old debts.

88M ? of that sum was used in paying off old debts.

585862746[/snapback]

actually........>

Chelsea

In: Claude Makelele (Real Madrid, ?16m), Hernan Crespo (Inter Milan, ?16.8m), Adrian Mutu (Parma, ?15.8m), Damien Duff (Blackburn, ?17m), Juan Sebastian Veron (Man Utd, ?15m), Geremi (Real Madrid, ?7m), Wayne Bridge (Southampton, ?7m), Joe Cole (West Ham ?6.6m), Glen Johnson (West Ham, ?6m), Alexei Smertin (Bordeaux, ?3.45m), Neil Sullivan (Spurs, ?500,000) (Marco Ambrosio (Chievo, free), Jurgen Macho (Sunderland, free).

Out: Graeme Le Saux (Southampton, ?500,000), Jody Morris (Leeds, free), Gianfranco Zola (Cagliari, free), Ed de Goey (Stoke, free), Albert Ferrer, Robert Wolleaston, Rhys Evans (all released), Carlton Cole (Charlton, one year loan).

Total for 2003 ?111m

source

In: Jose Mourinho (coach, Porto), Petr Cech (Rennes, ?7.1m), Paulo Ferreira (Porto, ?13.2m), Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven, ?12m), Mateja Kezman (PSV Eindhoven, ?5m), Didier Drogba (Marseille, ?24m), Tiago Mendes (Benfica, ?10m), Ricardo Carvalho (Porto, ?19.85m), Nuno Morais (Penafiel, undisclosed)

Out: Claudio Ranieri (coach, Valencia), Winston Bogarde (released), Marcel Desailly (retired), Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (Middlesbrough, free), Mario Melchiot (Birmingham, free), Emmanuel Petit (released), Mario Stanic (retired), Juan Sebastian Veron (Inter, season-long loan), Carlton Cole (Aston Villa, season-long loan), Jesper Gronkjaer (Birmingham City, ?2.2m), Hernan Crespo (AC Milan, season-long loan), Mikael Forssell (Birmingham, season-long loan), Boudewijn Zenden (Middlesbrough, free), Neil Sullivan (Leeds, free), Sebastian Kneissl (Westerlo, season-long loan), Marco Ambrosio (Zurich Grasshoppers, free) Craig Rocastle (Hibernian, four-month loan)

source

Total ?202m

If you include the money that abramovich used to bale the club out it totals ?300m in 2 years.....if you include player wages in the equation, they have spent over ?1m per day.....and this is fair??

If you include the money that abramovich used to bale the club out it totals ?300m in 2 years.....if you include player wages in the equation, they have spent over ?1m per day.....and this is fair??

585866824[/snapback]

Take a look at Formula 1. Ferrari has the largest budget of all the teams. Then look at some of the smaller teams.

Yet I don't hear people saying they haven't deserved every championship they've gotten because of their large resources and good drivers.

I wonder if Liverpool would be in the same situation, you'd be here shouting how unfair it was that your favorite team won the league. Somehow I doubt it.

I don't really care for them but winning is winning. Money still doesn't necessarily buy the trophy. For proof just look at the New York Yankees of the MLB. Fact is the games are won on the pitch, not in the accounting rooms and they pretty much dominated everyone. Good for them.

thye deserved it.

but thye sure did sign a lot of crap players, and waste a lot of money. but whatever works.

yankees -___-

go jays go!!

Take a look at Formula 1. Ferrari has the largest budget of all the teams. Then look at some of the smaller teams.

Yet I don't hear people saying they haven't deserved every championship they've gotten because of their large resources and good drivers.

I wonder if Liverpool would be in the same situation, you'd be here shouting how unfair it was that your favorite team won the league. Somehow I doubt it.

585867187[/snapback]

Actually people and the governing body have said it is unfair, thus bringing about the rule changes this season and next to create a more level playing field. Ferrari still have to do the research and testing, other teams then buy that technology from them and thus benefit from ferrari's success.

If it were liverpool would i be shouting? I cant honestly answer that, probably not, however LFC have a tradition of winning based on solid foundations, built from the ground up (as do Man U & Arsenal). Chelsea seem a soulless football club with no real history or tradition and have simply gone out and brought a squad of players. Its also the arrogant manner that this has been done with that grates, its one of "We will do what we want when we want because we have the money to deal with the consequences" i.e Ashley cole tapping up, Maurinho's comments about Anders Frisk and so on and so on.

Trophies should be won and not bought, fair play to the players that have won, however without the money that abramovich has put in certain players wouldnt even look twice at chelsea.

Im leaning both ways here. Chelsea have indeed spents loads of money on players, however they did get beaten by liverpool and so they are beatable. The players still have to play well on the day. However if they had not had all the money they wldnt be the team they are today.

Well its now confirmed that chelsea are the premiership champions.

I dislike man utd with a passion but have a grudging respect for what they and Arsenal have achieved for they have done it with a combination of hard work, training and some spending.

Chelsea have simply bought the title......should therefore there be a cap on the amount of money spent by a club in a season, should clubs be made to have a certain number of players that have come throught THEIR youth system in their team??

Personally, i think that chelsea don't deserve much respect for what they have done this season, it is all down to the fact that they have spent soooo much money, and i for one am looking forward to the day that mr abramovich gives up playing real life championship manager and buggers off to formula 1.

585856029[/snapback]

terry and lampard have been our 2 best players this season and neither of them had anything to do with ambramovich. who cares if weve spent more money theyve still got to perform on the pitch and we have, just about week in week out and have been the best team this season by far, so yes we deserve it. :DD

so how about you stop whining just because liverpool have had such a crap season in the premiership and let us have a a few seasons of glory.

and come on ac milan in the champions league final

Out of Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool, Arsenal spent least, then Liverpool, then Man U then Chelsea.

Arsenal for example buy players cheaply, examples are Marc Overmars, Emanuel Petit and Nicholas Anelka then sell em on for huge fees, Reyes is off soon, we will break even with him, Wiltord went on a free transfer, Edu we paid about 4.5 million for, he is off soon for nothing, we got Sol Campbell on a free from spit spit Spurs, Henry we paid about 10 million for, Vieira about 8 million, we buy cheap and sell high.

We have 1 season left at Highbury then it's off to Ashburton Grove, I feel we didn't win the premiership this year as it was no defensive buys and our better players injured, we also couldn't spend huge amounts as we have to pay for the new stadium.

I still feel if all said and done and Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea put out their best team everyweek, It would be a tight run between Arsenal and Man U for 1st spot and Chelsea would come 3rd or 4th.

I digrees, why the hell did Liverpool buy that money grabber Harry kewl, he don't care about playing for Liverpool his boyhood team he is only interested in huge amounts of money.

chelsea don't deserve anything, they have totally just bought the title, im a liverpool fan and i am so happy that they got what they deserved on Tuesday, Come on you Reds lets win it all.

so how about you stop whining just because liverpool have had such a crap season in the premiership and let us have a a few seasons of glory.

and come on ac milan in the champions league final

585871812[/snapback]

Whining, No....simply asked if a soulless club deserved a trophy that they have virtually bought.

Yes LFC have had a poor premiership season but if in what has been a rebuilding season we can get to two cup finals (one of which is a major european trophy) then what will we do when Rafa is finished building his squad (for alot less than ?200m i might add!!!!)

Well done on winning the league, shame it wasnt in the same class as arsenal did it last season. Enjoy it while it lasts, silver can be bought, class cannot.