How to modify Longhorn Multiboot menu?

How do i change the default Longhorn option to legacy Windows in longhorn multiboot menu? or is it possible to have the lh boot menu removed and use the windows xp's boot menu?

To get rid of bootloader:

1. Put the Windows XP CD in the CD-Drive and boot from the CD

2. Press r for the recovery console

3. Select your Windows XP partition (Should be 1. C:\WINDOWS)

4. Then type in fixboot and press enter.

5. Type exit to reboot

6. Hopefully the normal Windows XP bootloader will appear.

All I have to say is be carefull when doing this with the longhorn boot loader. When I went and tried to get rid of it and restore my XP setup to only boot into XP, my mbr became corrupt and I ended having to format my drives to get them to work again. So just be be careful when doing this and remember that longhorn is still in alpha stage that the boot loader isn't perfect yet.

To get rid of bootloader:

1. Put the Windows XP CD in the CD-Drive and boot from the CD

2. Press r for the recovery console

3. Select your Windows XP partition (Should be 1. C:\WINDOWS)

4. Then type in fixboot and press enter.

5. Type exit to reboot

6. Hopefully the normal Windows XP bootloader will appear.

585877576[/snapback]

After step 3 it will ask you to name your 1/C:\ drive you type in whatever you like "XP Pro " and then boot order. Then it will ask you the same for your 2/? LH partitian drive. Again type whatever you like "LH5048" EXIT out and you should have your personalized boot.ini. You will probably have the previous boot.ini listed as well but you can delete the old one after you boot into XP or 5048. Start>Control panel>System>Advance>Startup and Recovery Settings>edit Just remember which is your new ones you just created!

I just need a boot loader that i can customise...like, making XP the default OS and so on...But i would just like to know whether k removing LH boot menu and using XP boot menu will prevent LH from booting. :)

I just need a boot loader that i can customise...like, making XP the default OS and so on...But i would just like to know whether k removing LH boot menu and using XP boot menu will prevent LH from booting. :)

585881894[/snapback]

Well, I tried making XP use the new boot loader, and it threw up an error.

Then I tried removing the /usenewloader switch, and it worked, but I have no idea if this would cause any problems with stability or if it affects any of the functions.

When I was dual booting I had both boot menus. First the longhorn boot manager and then if you selected xp you would get the xp boot loader with both os's. Both boot loaders worked for both os's so I just wanted to get rid of one. Under the boot directory that longhorn installs there is a file called fixntfs.exe that you can run from the command prompt. With it you can select to use the xp boot loader and you will only have the one. Both os's boot fine from it.