Terraforming

Anyone heard of terraforming? I am working on it as my project and I would like to get your views on it, political or anything..

Incase you don't know, terraforming means to change a planet's conditions to something similar to Earth and Nasa is currently trying to terraform Mars now.

I think it's a very exiting project, but personally think it would be a little freaky/scary as a human to take-off to another planet and live in a place which is created/stabilized by people. It's scary to think what could happen if things would go wrong. If being on planet where conditions for living are not there, they need to be created, and aren't so stable.

i don't know, don't wanna get into too much words

I think terraforming Mars is a good idea since one day we will need to find another place for our population to inhabit. I think it is exciting, it would be cool if, let's say, the residents of a large metropolitan area such as NYC could be transported onto Mars and are allowed to build and live their normal lives, if possible. It would be neat what they would build on a terraformed planet.

It would be interesting to see who would be in charge. For argument sake, lets say that the United States transforms Mars into a earth like condition, atmosphere, water etc? Would we be the big bullies and say what goes on there, who can/can?t live there. Would they start their own government, be able to do as they please. I think that we need to fix our own world before we try to make another one.

/this is just my opinion don?t flame me to bad.

Originally posted by Lost0001

It would be interesting to see who would be in charge. For argument sake, lets say that the United States transforms Mars into a earth like condition, atmosphere, water etc? Would we be the big bullies and say what goes on there, who can/can?t live there. Would they start their own government, be able to do as they please. I think that we need to fix our own world before we try to make another one.

/this is just my opinion don?t flame me to bad. .

You have a point there. However, whoever funds the project will probably have the say as to who goes up there and who doesn't.

Originally posted by codyg11

You have a point there. However, whoever funds the project will probably have the say as to who goes up there and who doesn't.

Yes at first, but the country that intially funds it, is going to have control. Last I checked the US throws money around like it is water. Our presidents can't for the most part handle one country let alone one country+planet.

PM me or MSN if you want to take this further.

I have always found that science fiction can easily turn into science fact. My guess would be that Mars' relationship would be similiar to that of a child and it's mother. Initially it would be totally dependant on Earth for everything including direction. But as history has proven time and time again, eventually the "Martians" would strive for their own identity. Distance would make control from Earth prohibitive in the long run.

I am saddened that I shall most likely not see the day when humans settle another planet. The space station is a nice start but it has taken us over 40 years to get to this point. It seems that the petty squabblings here on Terra have drained our resources as we quibble over lines on a map and ideology in our heads.

Before we can venture forth, we really need to settle our differences here at home. Nationalism needs to take a backseat to globalism. This must happen on a significant scale before we can devote the type of resources really needed to make radical advances and implement the technologies that stem from them.

The US, while certainly in the best position to fund such a project, would really like to share with our friends, the vast discoveries that await us. I know that sometimes it seems to the contrary, but if you asked the man on the street I'm sure you'd find that we as a people desire peace and prosperity above all things . . . for all people. In spite of how our Government seems to act. While I agree for the most part with the current struggle . . . it is just another drain on resources that could really be better used elsewhere.

Sad I tell ya . . . damn sad.

-TR

Well, the time Mars gets really populated, there will be a global nation (at least i hope it), then there ain't no prob at all.

But if anyone would oppose to terraforming the Mars, he'd be stupid, coz Earth will be overpopulated soon anyway. And putting skyscrapers everywhere doesn't help really, coz Earths resources don't scale at all (oxygen, water and all). And oil stuff just goes down.

terraforming would be a good idea IMHO i don't think we should do it on mars. Maybe a planet in another solar system so that if something happens to our own solar system (like a bunch of commets take it out) the human race could continue living.

talking about who is going to be incharge--

US, there is no doubt about that, US is unofficially incharge of this planet...

and it's good that way ;)

It would be interesting to see who would be in charge. For argument sake, lets say that the United States transforms Mars into a earth like condition, atmosphere, water etc?
The United States cannot be in charge IMHO because terraforming is a project that needs many billions and billions of money and US alone is unable to fund the project. Many advanced developing countries including Singapore would need to put in a lot of money to do so. The downside is, it would cause a economic downturn which is a bad thing.
i don't think we should do it on mars

We have to do it on Mars now. Mars is the closest planet to us which is by far the most similar planet to Earth. It has nitrogen and carbon dioxide. An asteroid is predicted to crash into us in year 2093 so if the small basic part of terraforming is completed by then, a few human beings can be sent there to colonize and hopefully continue the project.