How often do you format your computer

How often do you format your computer?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you format your computer?

• Once every six months
    • Once a year
    • Once every two years
    • Woah! Never.

got my 36gb raptor and 200gb backup so I usually do one once every 1-3 months. Keep all my data on the 200 gb. Might get a mac if I can sell this guy for a decent price and keep the 200 gb and toss it in an external enclosure.

edit:

For those with only 1 drive I highly recommend partitioning (at least 15gb for windows and apps) and store your stufff and drivers on the second partition I have all my CD Images and stuff on my 2nd drive but used to partition It eases formatting by 100x I think Im gonna make an image to increase ease to 100% - time it takes

Can anyone link me to good software to create an auto installing DVD image of my 1st drive. I think I wanna make one with the basics (Office, Firefox, etc etc) Thanks

whenever i feel like it. maybe it wll be a bit more than 6 months, maybe ill do it like 2x within 6 months or somehint

only formatted once...after the intial install...with the known programs i always use...i clone the partition or drive with 'Ghost' or "True Image Server"....saves the hassle of the installation process.

About every 6 months to a year, or unless I really screw something up. But it really isn't that hard since I just make an image of a fresh install with all my usual programs and utilities that I need installed, and all my settings correct, then just copy that image onto the formatted drive and I'm set. I keep all my documents and files on a seperate drive by the way, I only use that drive for the OS and programs.

I usually do it when I feel like it, or if something messes up, or my computer is being weird. I don't really have a set time to do it. I don't have alot of programs on my computer so it's not really a hassle.

because of extremem gaming and there are things in window which u can't really clean up

so i do my format once a year....

for linux, i do it once a lifetime

Alot when I first got into PCs. I think I was wiping somewhere in the relm of twice every couple of months back then. Now it more like once a year, if I'm tinkering around and experimenting.

I only reformat either when something screwed up my computer, or I've backed up everything and I have time to reinstall everything.

about once a month, just for the windows partition, and every 6 months for a full system format, I do a DVD backup of everything I want to keep, then I load partition magic, do a secure erase on all the partitions, redo the partitions and reinstall windows and all my programs/games.

585886493[/snapback]

Same here. I format regular as clockwork. I always back up and always use PM. Programs, Games, Patches, Drivers, Updates... It takes a while, but it basically gets done on a night where I have nothing interesting to do or feel ill or something. I have done it so many times that I know the keys off by heart and have moved all the "latest" (kinda) drivers to a single DVD etc, so it doesn't take too long. Oddly enough :rofl: MS takes the longest to update even though it's always kept fairly clean :rofl:

I format my Windows drive when I get bored sometimes, usually I'll format like maybe four times a year, unless it is just in ruins. My drive with my videos and stuff hardly gets a format, maybe once a year if that.

I just formated last night, but I'm hoping that the Norton Ghost image I made will make it unnecessary to completely format in future.

When I used to use windows I'd format every 2-3 months.

I think you should change your poll. I know people that format every week, or every month. Wait, I still know people that use windows and format every month...

585886431[/snapback]

my sentiments exactly

Some times it's my fault. Sometime's it's a BSOD just a reminder that xp is based on dos.

Last time i formatted this computer was November 2004 and that was cause there was some software issues i was having. I'm hoping I can keep this computer running perfectly cause it's perfect right now. I do remember though in 2003 I killed this computer so many times. I remember doing 2 formats in one month and then i think 3 months after i had to format again. I learned my lesson though, lol

when it messes up.. for example.. installed drivers.. bsod on normal startup.. because of radlinker no way to remove it so i fromatted.

Used to do it once every 2 weeks. Glad i did as now i can format comp faster and configure it faster as well once installed.

However, now last install was on 28/12/04 and i aint looking to reformat in a while.

Ghost imaging also backs me up as does System Restore, but i havent had to use one yet.