Science Homework Question

I'm doing some test corrections and I am stuck on this problem:

Many cold packs used for sports injuries are activated by bending the package, causing the substances inside to interact. How does heat flow in this example?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

it is an endothermic reaction, a chemcial raction that absorbs heat causing the pack to get cold, there lots of info out there on it

it is an endothermic reaction, a chemcial raction that absorbs heat causing the pack to get cold, there lots of info out there on it

585901993[/snapback]

I'm not sure if that's what my teacher is looking for, but thanks for your help. :)

The chemicals react with each other. In this reaction, a lot of energy, in the form of heat, is released. Since it loses all the heat, the pack becomes very cold. This is a classic question, expect a similar question on your final.

The chemicals react with each other. In this reaction, a lot of energy, in the form of heat, is released. Since it loses all the heat, the pack becomes very cold. This is a classic question, expect a similar question on your final.

585902102[/snapback]

Completely wrong (<snipped>).

The laws of thermodynamics state that heat can not flow from a cooler to a warmer material. It goes from the warmer to the cooler material only.

As others have said, this is an endothermic reaction. Heat is going into the pack.

Edited by fred666

It absorbs heat so it feels cold. If it released heat then it would be a warm pack.

585902147[/snapback]

Yes, that's what I was looking for. Thanks! :)

EDIT: I just realized that's what username said, Rob just worded it differently.