Maxtor VS Seagate!

i need a new hdd..

and im tryin to decide between maxtor or seagate..

they both have their advantages..

EDIT:

-Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA/150 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer

VS

-Seagate 300GB ST-3300831AS Barracuda 7200.8RPM SATA w/NCQ

**IF THEY'RE THE SAME PRICE, SAME WARRANTY, SAME SIZE**

**WHICH ONE SHOULD I PICK?**

Edited by SmokeDragoon

at the store i shop at there isnt even a WD 300GB SATA drive..

i've been using maxtor all along.. but might wanna try smth else..

just wondering which 1 SHOULD have better performance..

Maxtor sucks, Seagate NCQs, WD 0wns. no competition :D go WD, NCQ doesnt do much. go a WD Caviar.

585916970[/snapback]

then you really shouldn't be using a pc if you think Maxtor sucks. but then again this is neowin and idiotic posts like this don't surprise me.

Most members here in the Hardware hangout know my stance when it comes to Seagate vs Maxtor vs Western Digital.

THERE ALL GOOD, DONT BLAME A COMPANIES HDD"S BEING SUCKY BECAUSE YOU DIDNT TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS ON MAKING SURE THAT HDD LIVED A LONG TIME AND SERVED IT PURPOSE.

sometimes you do get a bad lemon, but a bad lemon don't spoil the basket.

Go with Seagate, 5 year warranty... Don't get maxtors!!! I had my last 2 maxtor drives die before a year of use (both were RMA'ed for failing and the ones sent to me died sooner)... never again.. If I couldn't get a Seagate I would go with a Western Digital

ripgut, i have reason to hate maxtor. year or two ago, bought a maxtor 80gb, and it died within a few months. ive been using WD or hitachi in my old laptop since then, and neither have given me any probs.

I'm not into the whole HDD game - I just go with whichever drive gives the best GB per $$$ ratio. From what I've heard though, all 3 (Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital) perform around the same and the performance difference between them is likely unnoticeable. However, I've also heard Seagate's drives run the quietest.

ripgut, i have reason to hate maxtor. year or two ago, bought a maxtor 80gb, and it died within a few months. ive been using WD or hitachi in my old laptop since then, and neither have given me any probs.

585917035[/snapback]

thats nice, but does it prove anything? no. there are a million people who say that about wd, and a million people who say that about hitachi, and a million people who say that about seagate.

i agree with ripgut. it does not matter.

get whatever is cheapest or has the longest warranty.

thats the thing.. they're the same price.. same warranty..

i bet they even copied and pasted the whole thing..

the only diff in the listing is 1 says 16MB buffer instead of 8..

and NCQ for seagate.. the rest r EXACT SAME..

so any small difference can change which 1 i get..

EDIT: nvm.. Suren was right.. they do both have ncq.. so really its obvious.. MAXTOR IT IS..

up until a month ago, i've gotten only maxtor drives.. which has spanned about 5 years. my first maxtor sucked because it was ata66 and was noisy as hell.. but every one after that (probably 20 or so) served me no problems, and in fact, performed amazingly well. It runs a bit quieter and keeps better performance when moving large amounts of information.

Even coming from me, a die-hard Maxtor "fanboy", i'd recommend a Seagate with NCQ.

External or internal?

If you are after an external HDD then I would suggest Maxtor's onetouch II. Just got mine and very happy with it. Great piece of kit! :happy:

I own a seagate and WD also and no complaints about them, so really just pick whichever one you want. They all perform well.

My school had 40 Maxtor drives installed in their computers a few years ago. They all died after 6 months all at the same time. The annoying thing was - there were three of us that had to go round and replace them. My old 4.3GB Maxtor drive is very loud, although that isn't an issue nowadays and my ex-gf's 80GB Maxtor HDD was also knackered after 6 months.

However, saying that, Maxtor does have an excellent RMA service. I did that with my gf's 80GB drive and Maxtor sent me a 120GB back!

My vote though = Seagate.

I had all HD's. My first HD was a seagate 210 mb!!! To tell you the truth I've never had any problems with any HD and I had all 3 brands.

Currently I'm using 2 maxtors and I had not shut down my pc at night for 2 years now....

For me they are all the same. Meaning high quality stuff. Never bothered me.

For me, any of these 3 brands will do just fine. And I don't want to hear that a HD is faster by 1 ms from the other in access time or whatever. Thats a load of ****.

My vote? I vote all 3!

get whatever is cheapest or has the longest warranty.

585917073[/snapback]

:yes: :yes: :yes: You want the one with the longest warrenty, because you never know when you might get a dud drive and it dies on you...Long Warrenty = :) over time

Personally, I've had a great deal of bad luck with Maxtor....something like 4 drives failing over the last 2 years. I've never had a drive from another manufacturer fail.

Well, I have had a couple of Maxtor drives before, but from the techs I've talked to, they should've lasted longer than they did. So I decided to go Western Digital. I have NOT had a problem yet. These two WDs I'm using takes a beating and I've had them for a few years now. Although, I want to move onto SATA now and am thinking on trying Seagate. I've heard great things about their drives plus the longer warranty. I'll have to see....

Go with Seagate, 5 year warranty... Don't get maxtors!!! I had my last 2 maxtor drives die before a year of use (both were RMA'ed for failing and the ones sent to me died sooner)... never again.. If I couldn't get a Seagate I would go with a Western Digital

585917032[/snapback]

Seagate has an appealing warranty, but what people fail to realize is that the warranty is 5 years from the date of manufacture. For newer drives, this is great because you know the manufacturing date will be relatively close to the date of purchase, but you could still get burned on it.

I have never had a WD drive fail on me, and I have had a Maxtor go dead. I have a couple Maxtors in my system right now and have no problems, so this goes to show that a bad apple does slip through now and then. My WD's are quieter than my Maxtor drives, but now it is hard to tell since my CPU fan is about as loud as a lawnmower... Time to make the jump to watercooling soon :D