Maxtor VS Seagate!

I had:

- 1 x Quantum Fireball is > 6 yr old and still running well ...

- Several Seagate running well in btw 4 yr old & 1yr old

- 2 x IBM (hitachi) Deskstar HDD are around 2 yrs

- 1 WD just about 4 months old...

(all count on date of purchase NOT date of manuf)

All of 'em going well.. no problem ... not even a bad sector ...

BUT, i also got:

1 x DEAD maxtor (about 3 yrs old) and just dead no reason :no:

That's the only HDD crash on me :) I decided never again going back to maxtor unless they manuf. a REAL cool thing.

I just bought a Seagate SATA last weekend and it's a beauty. This was my first SATA and I was surprised how quiet it was compared to my Western Digital ATA's. My best hard drive purchase yet. I could have gone with Western Digital but I was told that the WD's aren't true SATA, plus the Seagate was about $10 cheaper. I refused to buy Maxtor because I didn't want a drive that would just up and die on me. I'm a WD fanboy but I would suggest getting the Seagate.

Seagate, seek times are alot faster, so is everything else, plus there not known for dying.

585917604[/snapback]

Please know what you are talking about, before you hit the "add reply" button

From Seagate.com:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsa...dex/1,,,00.html

From Maxtor.com

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A3450889

Now if you look at the Seagate chart, the 7200rpm drives ( which i'm know that the topic starter here is going for) Have the same seektimes as the Maxtor i posted.

And you can go ahead ad lookup other 7200rpm maxtor drives, and they will have the same seek times. with a few exceptions

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...040#DetailSpecs

BE WARNED! SEAGATE IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY

I BOUGHT AN 80GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA AND THEN GUESS WHAT HAPPENED AFTER A YR THE UNIT WAS MAKING ALL SORTS OF WEIRD NOISES AND I CALLED THEM AND THEY TOLD ME THE WARRANTY EXPIRED IN APRIL 2003, AND I HAD BOUT IT IN MARH of 2003, THE WARRANTY STARTS WHEN THE UNIT IS MADE NOT WHEN IT IS PURCHASED! MAXTOR HAS A 5 YR WARRANTY

a hard drives a hard drives a hard drive. they are all subject to the same problems, and all have an = chance to fail.

so get the one with the best warentee for the price

i usualy end up going seagate

585919210[/snapback]

they wouldn't be in business still if they were "horrible"

you want Proof?

Remember IBM's Deskstar drives? Uhm yeah where is IBM's Hard drive division now?

thank you :sleep:

I BOUGHT AN 80GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA AND THEN GUESS WHAT HAPPENED AFTER A YR THE UNIT WAS MAKING ALL SORTS OF WEIRD NOISES AND I CALLED THEM AND THEY TOLD ME THE WARRANTY EXPIRED IN APRIL 2003, AND I HAD BOUT IT IN MARH of 2003, THE WARRANTY STARTS WHEN THE UNIT IS MADE NOT WHEN IT IS PURCHASED! MAXTOR HAS A 5 YR WARRANTY

585919210[/snapback]

holy crap lets CAP IT ALL OUT SO EVERYONE CAN HEAR!

every hard drive watenty starts from the manufacure date. and most have a 1 year wantey. seagate is not a terible compnay, you jast had a single isolated bad experience with one of there hard drive. so pipe down.

you want Proof?

Remember IBM's Deskstar drives? Uhm yeah where is IBM's Hard drive division now?

thank you  :sleep:

585919228[/snapback]

the good ol IBM deathstar

you want Proof?

thank you  :sleep:

585919228[/snapback]

There is nothing wrong with deskstar drives these days. Its a shame that people still avoid them.

I guess its so hit and miss and luck of the draw..

Currently have Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE (about 2 years old) and a Seagate 160GB 7200RPM SATA thats about a year old.. both rockin ok at the minute, but have had bad luck with Maxtor and IBM Deathstars so..

There is nothing wrong with deskstar drives these days.  Its a shame that people still avoid them.

585919296[/snapback]

Thats because IBM doesn't produce them anymore. the platters are no longer made of "glass" so uhm yeah the new Deskstars are good

then you really shouldn't be using a pc if you think Maxtor sucks. but then again this is neowin and idiotic posts like this don't surprise me.

Most members here in the Hardware hangout know my stance when it comes to Seagate vs Maxtor vs Western Digital.

THERE ALL GOOD, DONT BLAME A  COMPANIES HDD"S BEING SUCKY BECAUSE YOU DIDNT TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS ON MAKING SURE THAT HDD LIVED A LONG TIME AND SERVED IT PURPOSE.

sometimes you do get a bad lemon, but a bad lemon don't spoil the basket.

585917020[/snapback]

Exactly. Someone gets a bad part, boom, they think the company sucks. It happens with all of them.

I have had IBM (now Hitachi), WD, Maxtor, and other drives. I just got ( a few months back ) a Maxtor 300GB 16MB buffer for only $145 and it's great. So on that I'll recommend the Maxtor.

Is it true that Wester Digital's harddrives are not native serial ATA drives (they have a bridge instead)?

I have Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD.

Personally I'd go with Samsung because they are making the quiestest hard drives right now, unless you can get your hands on the older single plater Barracudas.

Between Maxter and Seagates, I'd go with the Seagate. Sure maybe they both perform along the same level, so get the one with the longest warrenty so that if one does go bad... you can get it replaced.

wow... maxtor seem to have massive problems..

almost 1/2 the ppl that came in here have had problems with maxtor drives..

but is the DIAMOND 10 drives better now??

wow... maxtor seem to have massive problems..

almost 1/2 the ppl that came in here have had problems with maxtor drives..

but is the DIAMOND 10 drives better now??

585919990[/snapback]

Well when people have problems, the majority will come to vent and post about it. When things work fine they are less compelled to post about it, no complaints!

That is why you will always hear more negative stuff about a company than positive. If they were really that bad, why would major companies still use them, and they would not remain one of the largest HDD providers in the world.

Just like how someone can do 10 things right but mess up 1 thing and people will tend to pick on that 1 negative thing and fail to see the history of positive things.

Anywhoo, like Help said the maxtor has 16MB Cache and NCQ and has been proven to be quite a good performer.