Ubuntu Linux Oh Yes!

I'm not too keen on Grub :unsure: ...........I think its a 'minus' for Ubuntu..........Lilo is a much better option! :yes:

any ideas about how to get it to see my win partition?

and also it keeps prompting for a root password but i swear i never set one during the install!

any ideas about how to get it to see my win partition?

and also it keeps prompting for a root password but i swear i never set one during the install!

585939505[/snapback]

For a root password, open a terminal, and type:

sudo passwd root

It will then prompt you for your user password, then ask for the new root password twice.

As for win partition, check the unofficial ubuntu guide, here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#mountunmountfat

The commands are:

To Mount:

sudo mkdir /media/windows

sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media/windows/ -t ntfs -o umask=0222

To Unmount:

sudo umount /media/windows/

You can also add the windows drive to fstab so it mounts automatically.

Right i'm trying this ubuntu out as I type. I just downloaded Thunderbird to the desktop. Um...how do I get it to run? It's a .bin file.

Right i'm trying this ubuntu out as I type. I just downloaded Thunderbird to the desktop. Um...how do I get it to run? It's a .bin file.

585940014[/snapback]

Forget that, open up the terminal and type:

synaptic

this is the GUI based version for installing apps and such.

Oh right. I'll give it a whizz. Back soon.

Edit: Well that worked. It got PAN newsreader for me :ninja:

Hmm, all very strange this Linux stuff. I'll be buggered if I can access my NTFS drives though.

Uh oh. NOOBIE ALERT :p

Edited by axious

thx - I'm using this as a "Live Cd" at the moment, if I choose to install it, (on a spare 6gb drive), it won't screw anything else up? Will it? me scared.

And what command do I need to install it from the boot prompt?

tia

thx - I'm using this as a "Live Cd" at the moment, if I choose to install it, (on a spare 6gb drive), it won't screw anything else up? Will it? me scared.

And what command do I need to install it from the boot prompt?

tia

585940193[/snapback]

Running a live cd is just that, running it from the CD. To format your computer with it all you have to do is boot from the disc. and i would choose "guided partitioning"

By default, it will put the boat loader on the boot drive set in your BIOS. It will be fine if the install detects the windows partition properly. It will automagically set it up to dual boot Ubuntu and your existing Windows install.

right, I am tryping this from the Live cd. I just installed ubuntu onto my spare drive. All was going well, it said, do you want to install GRUB...YES. Then did that, and said remove cd, it needs to finish installing a few more packages.

Then it rebooted a few secs later and BANG! Grub error 17???? I can't freaking boot into my machine at all now. :angry: It just sits there with GRUB "error 17".

Can I fix it from within this Live cd I am using atm?

Anyone know how to fix this? Panicking here :(

tia

I don't think Ubuntu live CD has an installer. (I could be wrong though). You need to get the installable version. Though personally I wouldn't bother as for a total n00b there is too much missing from it - like MP3 support and Multimedia support and so on. It's easy to add if you know what you are doing - but pretty hard if you don't.

GJ

right, I am tryping this from the Live cd. I just installed ubuntu onto my spare drive. All was going well, it said, do you want to install GRUB...YES. Then did that, and said remove cd, it needs to finish installing a few more packages.

Then it rebooted a few secs later and BANG!  Grub error 17????  I can't freaking boot into my machine at all now.  :angry:  It just sits there with GRUB "error 17".

Anyone know how to fix this?  Panicking here :(

tia

585943549[/snapback]

Remember when you do get the installer version. Give us your system specs, so as to recommend the right kernel for your CPU. for instance i have a Pentium 4 with HT. So i obtain the 686 kernel.

Then it rebooted a few secs later and BANG!  Grub error 17????  I can't freaking boot into my machine at all now.  :angry:  It just sits there with GRUB "error 17".

Anyone know how to fix this?  Panicking here :(

tia

585943549[/snapback]

No need to be worried. If you can't get Grub working, all you need to do in order to boot back into Windows (I'm guessing that's what's on your other drive) is boot from the cd, go into the recovery console and run fixmbr. I'm sure someone can get this working for you though

I don't think Ubuntu live CD has an installer. (I could be wrong though). You need to get the installable version. Though personally I wouldn't bother as for a total n00b there is too much missing from it - like MP3 support and Multimedia support and so on. It's easy to add if you know what you are doing - but pretty hard if you don't.

GJ

585943616[/snapback]

No, I installed ubuntu, but was typing here using the Live CD, it was the only way to boot. The Grub loader had an error 17.

As for specs of my machine.

AMD 2500+ (OC 3200+)

768mb DDR Ram

1 x 160 GB Samsung IDE HDD - Master

1 x 120 GB Maxtor SATA HDD - Slave

1 x 8 GB Seagate IDE HDD - Secondary Slave (< --- this is where I installed ubuntu)

I downloaded the http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.0...nstall-i386.iso

Everything went perfect fine, until it rebooted and came up with Grub Error 17.

I managed to find out how to fixmbr, So I am back in XP now and formatted the 8GB drive.

Maybe I'll try again. :huh:

So anyone know what could have gone wrong? I really would like to try out Linux but something always seems to go wrong which puts me right off.....until the next time! ;)

I like the way ubuntu works (from Live), but would ideally like to install a working version to try out properly.

Edited by axious

There are 2 disks to Ubuntu........

1 is the 'Live CD' and the other is the 'Install CD'..........you do not require both.....just one or the other .....depending on if you want it installed or not :yes:

There are 2 disks to Ubuntu........

1 is the 'Live CD' and the other is the 'Install CD'..........you do not require both.....just one or the other .....depending on if you want it installed or not?:yes::

585944461[/snapback]

I know that. I used the Live cd to test it out. I then installed ubuntu using the install cd, and I got the Grub Error 17.

I actually just tried to install it again, and got exactly the same error 17.

This is why I usually end up not using Linux, cus something always (seems) goes wrong :crazy::

Unless I can get this error 17 sorted, then unfortunatly unbuntu will be finding its way to cd heaven as a coffee coaster.

Well grub is an amazingly simple utility to understand. Once you get your head round the idea that 0,0 is your first partition (or dev/hda1) 0,1 is your second partition (or /dev/hda2) and that 1,0, 1,1 and so on are all equivalent partitions on your second hard drive, with 2,0 for your third and so on you have basically cracked it. The easiest guide I have ever seen to working with Grub is in the gentoo handbook. You wll robably want to ignore the part about emerging Grub (which is just the Gentoo way of installing things) and you may have to substitute nano for whatever text editor you prefer - but apart from that it doesn't get much clearer than this.

In short my advice is, follow this guide and reinstall Grub.

GJ

I can't boot to my ubuntu install cus Grub wont let me. If I use a "Live" cd, I don't seem to be able to find the file I need to edit. What would I look for, and how would I edit it?

Remember, I would be booting from a Live cd not to my hdd.

Sorry, I'm a newb when it come to Grubs

Edited by axious