Noise Cancelling

Does anybody know a way to set up two microphones (I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum) and have them both record simultaneously, while running a program of some kind that will take the input of one and subtract from it the input of the other? I am interested in doing voice recordings (for a video project) and would like to take out the clicking and such that is always present in amateur recorded material.

Thanks,

-Ian

I don't know of any programs that will do what you say, but as long as you can sort the differing gain levels out you could plug a microphone into the mic socket and into the line in socket. Recording simultaneously wouldn't be difficult with appropriate software I just don't know of it.

However, what you're suggesting won't give hugely better sound quality, if at all; your best bet is to get a decent quality microphone and a pop guard. The most intricate physics of noise separation isn't going to be a substitute for a good quality microphone.

Does anybody know a way to set up two microphones (I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum) and have them both record simultaneously, while running a program of some kind that will take the input of one and subtract from it the input of the other? 

585983920[/snapback]

I don't know if you've tried doing this with Audacity, because of the way the Audigy is designed I don't know if Audacity would let you record from more than one input at a time. If you want to "subtract" one feed from the other, the technical way is to invert the phase of one of the feeds. Play them back, and anything that was exactly identical in both tracks will have been cancelled out and therefore inaudible.

I am interested in doing voice recordings (for a video project) and would like to take out the clicking and such that is always present in amateur recorded material.

Thanks,

-Ian

585983920[/snapback]

If you're trying to remove noise then what you suggest is the wrong way to go about it. You will enjoy much more success with a good wave editor and some noise reduction software. For constant low level noise (air conditioning or tape noise etc...) there are automated tools that can remove it very effectively, if it's one off noises (someone falling over the tripod or a sneeze etc...) then you will have to go in and try and manually remove it.

Either way, the whole adding and subtracting idea is not what you want.

Also as a side note, I assume you're using cheap mics which have a 3.5" jack on the end and can go straight into a soundcard, if you try to put one into a line input it may well sound bad because the "line input" does not have the same amplification that the "mic in" does.

As was mentioned above, if you're serieous about doing this kind of stuff, you would do well to invest a couple of quid in a decent microphone and preamp for your system.

Anyway, I digress :p ....