going to buy a mac *hopefully*

i'm still trying to think which mac i'm trying to get, my choices are currently an Imac G4 (aka iLamp) and an eMac (since its the right price...

G4 Imacproductshotimac2002.jpg

-HIghly adjustable, ultra-compact design

-15-inch active matrix flat-panel LCD display

-PowerPC G4 processor at 700 mhz (256k L2 cache @ 700 mhz)

-NVDIA GeForce2 MX graphics

-2 firewire ports and 4 USB ports

-Apple Pro Keyboard and Apple Pro Mouse

-Mac OSX and Mac OS 9.2

-256 MB SDRAM

-40 GB Ultra ATA drive

-CD-RW/DVD ROM drive

-10/100Base-T Ethernet/56k internal modem

-Apple Pro Speakers

$2549.00 CDN

OR

eMacproductshot_emac.jpg

-New all-in-one compact design

-17 inch Flat CRT design

-NVIDIA GeForce MX2 (with 32 mb memory)

-2 firewire ports and 5 usb ports

-700 MHZ G4 PowerPC processor

-128mb sdram (gonna get it upgraded to 512 maybe)

-10/100Base-T Ethernet/56K internal modem

-40 gig Ultra ATA drive

-Mac OS X n OS 9.2

-CD-RW drive

- and emac stand

$1,794.00 CDN ($1699.00 without emac stand)

i'm thinking emac cuz its more reasonable (in price) but i want to get the g4 imac cuz of dvd n lcd display, what u guys think i should get? (n i'm not planning on getting a pc so thats out of the ?)

Thats a pretty big difference in price. Can you afford the iMac? Go with what you will be most happy with. The eMac has a 17inch display so it should support a 1280x1024 resolution, right? Thats a plus over the iMac.

i bought the imac g4 before the emac came out..i think i still would of gone with the imac even though the emac has a better screen. I think the imac is great..only thing i can't stand is the screen resolution. So...i would go with the...i guess imac cause it looks much better :D

Very hard, if not impossible to compare Intel (or amd) to Apple's processors. CISC vs RISC. The RISC chip is the more advanced chip technologically. I recently switched from PC to Mac. from my experience, take the Mac processor speed, say 800 mhz...and double it to get the roughly equivalent pc speed. So by my experience and usage, an 800 mhz Mac is about the same as a 1400 mhz pc. course every pc user will disagree, but most have never used a Mac anyway.

But in the end, there aren't really any benchmarks you can use. Head to compusa or an apple store and try one out.

im gonna get an emac one of these days i think if i get the right deal on it, but the iMac looks so pretty so i dunno..... i will prolly just get it from my college store, they sell it cheaper than online or at any other location.. :D

Originally posted by glockfan

if you look at www.macwarehouse.com you can get a G4 dual 1.0 Ghz for $2,649 i think that i what i will be looking at getting. plus you get superdrive, etc.

actually thats the site i'm using ;) (macwarehouse.ca tho)

but i dont have the money for one of those,

n if i get an emac, i could get an ipod n more ram, *or else* i could get an ibook but the screens too small n 20 gigs isnt enough for me

I actually got to play around on my first Mac the other day. It was fun. OS X is pretty cool from what I saw but the computer seemed a little slow. It was an 700Mhz and had 128MB of RAM. My AMD at the house is only an 850 and runs much faster when opening programs etc. It was probably the lack of RAM or some other setting.

Let us know what you get.

I'd say get the eMac. Locally, I've polled (cause I'm in the same market to buy a mac) and found most people here (SC, USA) *HATE* the design of the new iMac and prefer the old G3 iMac design. The eMac is close to the G3 iMac but much more powerful. Plus, as others stated, you could afford a DVD-RW and more memory (Which all Mac Users I know tend to buy memory with the initial purchase of their macs).

As for speed, I'm a PC buff. I sold my soul to AMD.. but between the two, the G4 is equivalent to 1.5-1.75 times that of a PC. If you notice, the Mac's highest is a 1GHz chip (dual usually) while the PC has 2GHz, but put both machines to say... rendering photoshop -- the mac wins. Put it to accounting or scientific data, I'd say the PC would win but by a very small margin.

The Mac is a beast machine for Graphics and from what I've seen roll out, it looks like a network monster. (as in good).

The PC seems to point towards gaming and servers. With OS X being Unix based, and the PC soaring in the Linux/Unix base.. I'd easily say you'll see the market sway away from a dominated Microsoft Windows PC market to a dualing Linux PC vs. Unix Mac market -- though Yellow Dog Linux is SWEET on a PPC. Wal-mart is even shipping PC's with Lindows, though RedHat or Mandrake (both of which are sold in Wal-Marts) would've been a better choice.

lol im thinking of emac now, n if i get to choose a puter next year for grad (if i get a puter for grad), i'm gonna get a higher end puter, but till then i'll get the emac with 256 or 312 megs of ram

Originally posted by iomayho

i would say get a Imac, that one looks great and more powerful..............^^ i'min love with it....

ya i'dd select the g4 imac myself but its a lil 2 pricy, but then again we'll have to keep close eyes on macworld in july, to see if theres any huge price reductions n i doubt the emac will go down in price, n the classic imac mite either get phased out or get upgraded to G4 processors n more hard drive space n a combo/super drive

Originally posted by Dazzla  

It's a shame you don't live anywhere near me, you could have got a bargain on my iMac...

dam...lol

well i think the school puters will be thrown out within the next couple years (n no i dont want one of them cuz they sux0rs lol), i'll look around n compare prices as soon as i get enough money for a new puter

It's a shame you don't live anywhere near me, you could have got a bargain on my iMac...

i'd be after an iMac, but its going 2 be a 2months or so though, so i guess it kinda Counts me out!! :(

NeYo

Too bad I can't run OS X under VMWare... I've used it a few times and I really like it... just can't stomach the cost of any Apple system.

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~  

i'd be after an iMac, but its going 2 be a 2months or so though, so i guess it kinda Counts me out!! :(

NeYo

Well, if no-one's bought it by then, it'll still be up for sale.

Well, if no-one's bought it by then, it'll still be up for sale.

how much ya selling it for?

Originally posted by Wickedkitten  

how much ya selling it for?

I've put it up for sale initially at 900 which I think is a bit of a bargain, it's going for 1,529 at the Apple store with the additional 256mb. Hopefully I can sell it, I'm dead skint.

Silvergold - At least wait until MWNY next month beore you buy. The towers are gonna get a cpu speed bump to ~1.4 tops, but more importantly the mobo is going to DDR, probably at 166mhz too. The iMacs (lamps) are also looking at a speed bump.