Whistler Theme aka Watercolor

:(

Jazzy as much as I'd love to I wont break someones trust in me, I knew about styles XP for about a week or two before it was even mentioned and I wouldnt tell anyone untill they announced it. Same goes for now I'm sure they will have a public beta soon, but thats why they need private testers, so that they can distribute publics after they are sure it wont mess up your system. Have you emailed TGTSofts, beta request? maybe they themselves will hook you up with one. I wouldnt have mentiond a thing but I didnt want people jumping to the conclusion that I am some master skinner and turned a luna theme into this with reshack.

Chris

As I have said before, once I release it, it will be finished in my eyes, so I wont care what people do with it :) Thanks for your concern though :D

Actually it's PlanetNexiz, 1 word... And I believe you agreed that I could edit it... The issue wasn't mine but rather with TGTSOFT... For some reason they gave the vertical tasktray transparency but not the horizontal one..

It should be quite simple once StyleBuilder is out for me to add the line for transparency to the style and for me to release it...

The thing that some people don't seem to understand is that first off, Styles with Homestead, Metallic, and Blue still in them are quite a bit bigger that one like Toothpaste... I prefer for the Styles to be by themselves as it saves space...

Not only that but you have no idea how many people have been confused about how to use a Style when it has three substyles in it... When it's alone like toothpaste it's idiot proof to get a Style going........

My tray problem actually had nothing to do with the transparent colour, I figured out what it was, and its fixed now, I had it set to transparent (completely) so it wasnt showing up.

Binary, I was referring to Brendl's theme.. If you look at the Toothpaste style, the horizontal tasktray button doesn't have a transparent color... The vertical one does... I believe it's 255 0 255... Problem is when you replace that horizontal bmp the image gets screwed up.... I have no idea why they made one with a transparent color and one without... Anyway I was thinking when StyleBuilder is released all I need to do is edit the ini to add the transparent color and all should be well... Infact if you have StyleBuilder as you say, I can send you the style and you can add the code... It should only take you 1 minute at the most.........

Well I'm pretty sure all that style builder does is turn the ini's into xml format for editing, at least thats what I can make of it, so every available function should already be in Style Builder, maybe MS was sloppy in their coding, but I doubt you can just add a function, the XP skinning engine wont recognise it most likely, who knows but you can bet there wont be upgrades for the XP skinning engine, but maybe someone will make a better one which will do the same type of skinning. I bet stardock is now thinking of allowing msstyles to work for it too.

Anyways if you wish to send me the theme you can send it to kmkkid@hotmail.com and put in your instructions, though I probably already know how to do it. But Styles Builder may not accept it, as it seems you need a master.xml file for the theme, also from what I have seen it will not simply open an existing msstyles file. It is more or less for just making your own themes.

The transparency is already there, it's nothing new, it's just not in that horizontal tasktray... It is in the Luna Styles that come with XP.. Like I said, no idea why it's on the vertical, but not horizontal... I got the idea you thought I meant to do something it doesn't already do... Adding a transparent color is something it already does...

However if it won't open an existing msstyles file then my idea won't work... And I'll have to add the bmp's one by one through StyleBuilder to get it right...

Hi,

Like I said give me a couple more days, believe me skinning is alot harder then it looks for those who havent done it before, and I am just basically trying to port an old skin, so making one from scratch would be very very hard for me anyways, I get migraines looking at details to much :) Don't know how these other skinners do it almost everyday : And as far as I know I am the first person making a non recolored luna, so give it time, I want it to be as bug free as it can be :D

Chris

ugh no comment :D

How did you deal with the titlebar? I have found out that Windows XP (by default) will only stretch 3 stripes of pixles to make the titlebar fill the screen!

Did stylebuilder allow you to re-configure this arrangement?

Binary, what happens if you just rename the original .mst file to .msstyles and put it in the correct dir... does it work? could you email the original file to me? I just wanna play around with it. thanks.

btw, keep up the good work :)

Allready tried that... Windows Will not reconize it.. also even you you inject the contents into an origanl .msstyles it will not function.. In BETA-2 of WInXP I WAS able to make windows "open it" yet it would not run it. Yet with this patch (styles XP) I bet it would work... sadly.. XP Final will not deal with it.

Okay I was wondering this... and maybe it's impossible and/or too difficult for someone to try...

But would it be theoretically possible to make a skin which you could customize from the display dialog?

For instance, take your Whistler theme. It looks great (of course) but my question is would it be possible to make it so that you could change the 2 colors of the title bar from the appearence settings?

Or is this just too hard/impossible to do for a skin?

In theory... yes.. you can make an external patch program that can dynamicly edit the .ini(xml) files inside XP themes and therefore providing color alterations on the fly.

Let's say you have a "hyperpaint" (don't be confused with the Windowblinds crap) that calles:

/Resources/Themes/Luna/Luna.msstyles

You have options such as

"Appearance" [blue]

"Start Button Shade" [-----------------]

"Titlebar Active" [-----------------]

"Titlebar inctive" [-----------------]

And so on

After saving it provides you with the option to replace the file or rename it

/Resources/Themes/Luna/Luna_blue.msstyles

OR

We can modify the .msstyles format and make the .ini files call an external file such as "color.xml" and thus, allow you to change only this file to provide different color sets..

There are soo many options that are just waiting to be used. We COULD even specify in the .ini files what the start button text is if you wanted.. all we requre is what (Luna) calls the explorer.exe for and just specify it in the .ini and thus, override the explorer.exe value.

LUNA ROCKS!

Wow that would be kickass

The reason I was asking was because it would be awesome if you could have the watercolor/whistler theme and be able to pick the left and right hand colors for the title bar... similar to how you can select color 1 and color 2 for the classic title bar.

Alternatively it would let you customize the luna skins, so we could just set them to red or orange or whatever instead of everybody having to make a new skin whenever someone wants a certain color.

Binary wow that looks awesome. I can really appreciate the effort you are putting into this to make it as true to the original as possible. All I can say is keep up the good work, and that I will definitely be using this theme when you release it.

Thanks,

Flip_Kid:D

i loved that theme! finish it and gimmie!!!

also, didn't that theme have a classic looking start menu icon, it was like the one in the classic theme just now, but it looked loads cooler, and had an aqua hover thing, which owned i am :( that they got rid of it tho :/