Whistler Theme aka Watercolor

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, I'm still working on a few things but I may have it done by halloween :) Gism0 this start button is the same as the old whistler start button, it's a little tiny bit longer to accomodate for the word start. And I could easily change the logo to the old flag, but it doesnt come in the theme, this is located in explorer.exe, and I would have to hack that to change it. Maybe I will redo some images in the shutdown panel and logon screen, and explorer.exe and release it all so that everything except the icons would look like the old whistler. Of course you could change the icons too, but who would? I love the new icons! :) I might make a simple NSIS installer, to install the skin, and various other elements, if people would like more then just the skin? And no the original theme file wont work in XP, its a completely different format then the new ones. Whistler was a little more simpler then luna, so you really have to appreciate the hard work the luna team did to make that skin, its loaded :)

And Knifeface it's not really a teknap icon, it's actually a napster 4 Be icon, but I liked the look and made it for windows :) if you still want it I suppose I will send it.

Chris

tmf2 - how could we do that? Styles XP isn't a skinning program. ;)

Analogy:

If there was a new protected music format called .MPX where you could only copy music once and that's it (there probably is osmething like this but that's how out of touch with music I am) and then someone writes MusicXP that cracks that protection so that you can trade MPX files, do you create a sectoin called MusicXP? ;)

Binary hasn't created a StylesXP skin, he's created a rather excellent Microsoft style skin though.

tmf2 I believe he said he wouldnt in another post. Because they arnt really "exchangable" in the states that they are in now. Like frogboy has said alot are just recoloured luna themes, so once Style Builder is out, then there may be a wider variety of styles to choose from and then people may start adding XP skins to their sites. That would be cool if wincustomize added a section, but most of the skins are for stardock products right now :( I miss skinz.org :(

Hey FrogBoy, people have cracked the wma format, open a section called cracked wma's for all. j/k lol ;)

BTW alot of people are getting confused here, Styles XP is basically just a new hmmmm community? should I say? It's basically a new program to get styles working on XP and install a theme or two. TGTSoft's main goal I believe is to get people making themes with stylebuilder. I sort of compare Styles XP to a type of plugin for XP. Like a plugin for winamp to play ogg files. It will give you the ability to use MS format themes (msstyles) on XP, but these themes arnt called Styles XP styles. they will always be msstyles. :)

Sorry forgot to mention, in short if new sections are opened for XP skins they will be MSstyles sections probably :)

@Frogboy

Binary hasn't created a StylesXP skin, he's created a rather excellent Microsoft style skin though.

Nope, that?s not 100% correct!

He?s creating a style WITHOUT digital signature. So it would be completely USELESS.

The only kind of "software" that enables Binary to actually TEST and USE those themes is Style XP.

Please correct me, but i?m sure Binary does NOT have the ability to create a digital signature for his style so it can be used in XP without Style XP.

If M$ didn?t put digital signature check in the UxTheme.dll there would be no need for Style XP, but only for the Style Builder!

Digital Signature check somehow seems to be included to give bloody WindowBlinds some kind of monopol, well it doesn?t have another sensefull purpose.

Nopbody would be able to create, test or use a "Microsoft style skin" WITHOUT Style XP! So actually a Microsoft style skin without digital signature can somehow be called a Style XP skin!

I've had about enough of this crap. I used to fully support Stardock, but this is simply childish and I'm beginning to wonder if I want anything to do with it now. The skins created that use Microsoft's msstyles format don't in themselves hack any kind of protection, and digital signatures are meant for the consumer's protection, not copyright protection, so your analogy doesn't quite fit. Msstyles skins are no different from Windowblinds skins, legality-wise, the only difference is how they work, and that is what breaks any kind of law. TGT Soft supposedly was going to speak with Microsoft, and even if they haven't I'm sure MS has found out about it by now, and yet StylesXP is still on the web, and every day it remains there makes it more apparent that MS doesn't have a problem with it, so why the hell do you? Since the fact of the matter is that msstyles is a form of windows customization, regardless of the fact that it won't work unless StylesXP or something similar is installed, in and of themselves the skins deserve a place on wincustomize. Of course since you've done your fair share of whining about StylesXP I obviously don't expect that to happen, but it's quite obvious this has nothing to do with legality and everything to do with your pathetic rivalry. Give it up already.

tmf2 - how could we do that? Styles XP isn't a skinning program.

Analogy:

If there was a new protected music format called .MPX where you could only copy music once and that's it (there probably is osmething like this but that's how out of touch with music I am) and then someone writes MusicXP that cracks that protection so that you can trade MPX files, do you create a sectoin called MusicXP?

Gott calm down, My skin is an msstyles skin protection or not. The msstyles stands for the format, and the files which make up the skin. Now what styles XP does, is it allows you to use msstyles, no matter what these are msstyle formats. Styles XP is just the program that allows you to use non signaturized files. If we were going by what skins the GUI then we would be calling them UXtheme's because that is what skins them after all, just as WB skins are called WB skins, after the skinning engine, when in fact they are UIS skins. So in the long run, I say we just call um msstyles, cause uxtheme's doesnt sound as pleasent just as UIS skins doesnt sound pleasent :p

P.S. if this post sounds all screwed up it probabaly is, just smoke some weed and you'll understand where I'm comming from :p

Darrian, I think you read my response totally differently than it was intended.

Let me put it another way since I apparently didn't communicate it effectively:

A site like WinCustomize wouldn't put up a section for Styles XP because Styles XP isn't a skinning program.

So the next question is then what about creating a section for .msstyle skins?

That leads to the question, what does the format's owner say to that? The format's owner is Microsoft. And they didn't want third parties to create skins for it badly enough to go through the trouble to require them to be Microsoft digitally signed.

I am not implying that TGTSoft broke any laws. And in fact, I am inclined to think that they did not break any laws. That's not the point.

The point is that he that writes the skinning program in question makes the rules. Microsoft wrote the skinning program in question (uxtheme). And since they put effort to make it so that there wouldn't be third party styles for it, we can assume they don't approve. The fact that there is a website that allows people to bypass the digital signing by patching system DLLs does not mean Microsoft approves of it (that would be like someone saying that because there are warez sites out there that the companies who are aware of them but have not acted must approve of it -- and before someon reads THAT wrong too, I am NOT comparing TGTSoft's site to a warez site, it's JUST an analogy).

When/if Microsoft gets rid of digital signing as a requirement, then we can look at that.

One assumes that if .msstyles takes off, Stardock is somehow dead. On the contrary, Stardock would just make its SkinStudio available to .msstyle users and create other software.

During the beta of XP where we were one of the private testers on it, I posted outright that we could get around the digital signing if needed but since MS did it, it was clear they didn't intend third parties to do that so we didn't. This post was from back in May of 2001, it's still on Microsoft's private forums btw if you have access.

Hope that clears things up.

Couple of points here.

1: Frogboy, you know visual style is overall a more usable skinning system for windows so stop arguing, we dont' care and please don't post anymore of your FUD here. If you like stardock so much, go back to wincustomize

2: ALL style XP does is to let the Visual Style's engine to accpect unsigned themes

3: Again, time and time again, Windowsblind is prove to be unsable and ugly, EVEN with the skins came with Windowsblind itself.

4: The fact that MS want to digital sign their skins is so that normal people won't try to mess up with skins, YOU WILL GET NO SUPPORT FROM MS if xxx skin screw up your system. I know you are ****ed off because there is a program that completely blew your POS windowsblind away.

5: In conclusion, Windowsblind has effectivly been killed off on Windows XP and future Windows platform because failure to improve and lack of access to Windows' codes.

THE END.

Now can we have that watercolor theme :)

Listen to Binary.

And believe me, if someone would have told me that I would be saying that a week ago I would have not believed it. ;)

Binary is creating .MSSTYLE skins, not Styles XP skins.

For the Love of God people!

Don't turn my beautifull skin post into a warzone ;)

Kawai, I'm afraid reality doesn't quite agree with your assessment. But you are certainly free to disagree.

There is only one crucial fact here:

Windows XP users have multitudes of skinning options in front of them. Some will pick one over another. Many will pick both.

And I'll add a prediction:

A year from now industrious software developers will create additional skin formats that use uxtheme.dll.

Vector skin formats, utility skin formats, multimedia skin formats, and combinations.

Now clearly, Kawai, your choice is pretty clear since in the short time you've been here you have spent a great deal of energy following me around attacking me, WIndowBlinds or Neil. I dont know why you have such an axe to grind but other users may actually like choices.

None of which has anything to do with Binary's most excellent skin.

BTW ty frogboy,

Flattery is the best way to motivate me people, I'm gonna go work on it some more ;)

@Binary

Sorry, for me not making out the point clearly (it?s just my bad englisch, not my native language, sorry)

I know exactly what Style XP does and I know it?s not some kind of software but a simple installer for a unsigned theme and a hacked dll at the moment.

(Mhh ... weedsmoker, so your country's next to mine and i go shopping there time to tim;);) )

I know that the format is the same but without digital signature. I just didn?t like to see Frogboy flaming at Style XP and at the same time telling you, that you?re doing a great job.

You ARE doing a great job, but your work would be impossible without the hackde uxtheme.dll that comes with the TGT Software.

Frogboys flaming against this hack is simply childish. I?m sure the hacked uxtheme.dll will be as sucessfull as the good old hacked M$ Codec later called DivX ;-) .

Originally posted by Frogboy

tmf2 - how could we do that? Styles XP isn't a skinning program. ;)

Analogy:

If there was a new protected music format called .MPX where you could only copy music once and that's it (there probably is osmething like this but that's how out of touch with music I am) and then someone writes MusicXP that cracks that protection so that you can trade MPX files, do you create a sectoin called MusicXP? ;)

Then why does the Wincustomize homepage use the term "visual styles" in the title?

Me thinks someone feels threatened :-)

I know Gott, I wasnt meaning to be mean to you. I was just stating facts :) And I also will not take all the credit for my theme, as I have stated before TGTSoft started it for me after I plead for this theme to be brought back to life, they emailed me and asked if I could finidh it off, they probably dont have time to make more themes, as they are probably hard at work on making the stylebuilder work as flawlessly as it can. The fact is many people simply love what TGTSoft has done because it has opened up a whole world of skinning opportunity's now. I am very gratefull I dont care how it was done quite frankly, and obviously it hasnt broken any laws as they have talked to MS. And I believe one of the TGTSoft team use to work for MS, dont quote me on that but I thought I have heard that before. Who knows maybe MS was going to do this on their own ( make a style builder) but it would probably have used signed files.

rockcreek, I too can see that this may be threatening to WB, but in fact its not TGTSoft that stardock is worried about. It was unavoidable, eventually someone would have "cracked" it, whether it is "cracking" the uxtheme.dll, or actually allowing you to shove digital signatures into pre made themes. It is in fact MS who has threatened WB, and that is probably also why they are supporting it. Stardock could easily make an msstyles builder, or alow skin studio to make that format, then they might be competeing with TGTSoft, but in the end, MS added theme support to XP, so MS is really to blame for this whole mess :p

Whoa partner, I'm not flaming Styles XP at all.

What I am trying to explain, unsuccessfully, is how the skin sites work - they create sections based on the name of the skinning program.

If Skinz.org were here today, for instance, they wouldn't create a section for styles XP because it's not a skinnable program.

Giving Microsoft, the people who invented .msstyle as a skin format as well as the skinning engine behind it credit for their hard work is not flaming styles XP.

However, if Styles XP didn't exist, there'd be a dozen other programs in on time to do the same thing. Most people here could do what it does with a hex editor. Just find the function in uxtheme.dll that returns whether a given file is digitally signed and patch the false to always return a TRUE.

I praise Binary because I've been creating skins for 3 years now and appreciate the work he's putting into it. I used Notepad in those days but you wouldn't see me singing praises to Notepad. If I hadn't notepad, i would have used something else. Same case here. If it weren't Styles XP, it would have been something else.

Where TGTSoft can shine is with their styles builder. That's the real app. That's the app that will put them on the map.

I think I need Binary to be my translator since he completely understands what I'm getting at.

TGTSoft doesn't worry us at all. They're like us, a software developer. The most we could possibly compete on would be on skin editing software and I can tell you that the market for that sort of thing isn't big enough for us to fight about.

It's Microsoft that scares us. .MSSTYLES is a good format.

Here read this:

Windows XP skinning explained

In it I talk about .msstyles and I say how good it is.