Why do you use linux?

Sorry to post again, but I love using Debian (Ubuntu) and being able to type one command to upgrade the entire system including the drivers, kernel, applications, security and all that. Something that I wish Windows could do so I don't have to search for hours looking for updates and new driver releases and don't have to worry about security updates not being installed. Have to love that APT

I forgot to mention the best part of most every Linux distro.  You can put your /home directory in either another drive or another partition and if you have to reformat or change distro's, you don't loose any information at all.  I love changing between different Debian based distro's and then trying Slackware and Fedora and then going back to Debian or Ubuntu without loosing my customizations or settings or documents or anything.  It's awsome.

586008851[/snapback]

It is an interesting point... didnt think about it this way... :)

I think that i'm starting to get the hang of it - I know where to find my settings to the programs i use, and change it from the config files, and where are the yet unknown libraries located - to give to some programs as params, if they cant find it.

It probably doesnt seem like a big deal, but it makes me happier :)

After installing lots of im clients to try, i almost said to myself something like 'who needs all this choice, just give me something that works' and sent myself to wash my mouth.. :pinch:

but i think that this is how windows users see it. Even though in windows, it took me a while to find replacements for almost everything.

Too bad there's no miranda for linux

Linux makes sense.

No need to go into tech details: stuff like the filesystem structure, links, mounting partitions, bash scripts, configs through well documented text files... when I've to use Windows I really miss that things.

Drivers make a lot more sense (in my opinion) in linux too. I mean no need to reboot after installing/upgrading, plus removing a device and plugging it again (talking about non plug-and-play devices here) doesn't involve reinstalling the driver.

Linux also makes my life a lot more comfortable when it comes to upgrading hardware. I've just installed a new processor and motherboard, and linux (my old linux installation, that is) booted as quick and smooth as always, no need to install anything... try that with Windows.

Portage has become something I can no longer live without. It's so damn easy to browse the portage tree and install packages that I got addicted :ninja:

I still run windows now and then though, as sometimes I'm required to code some windows stuff (either for the university or for friends).

because it puts the "fun" back into computing

because its "different"

because its "innovative" and "new"

because its "rebellious" and against the mainstream

because its ideals fit mine (open source)

because its "teh future" :ninja: :D

I have been using Linux since 1999, and it is my main operating system since 2002. I don't use Windows any more on my home PC... and tomorrow I am going to install Linux here, on my work PC too.

Linux is more stable, I can run it for months without a restart. After installing Linux, it takes only 0,7 - 1 GB on your hard disk, with lots of programs preinstalled and all FREE. You forget everything about licenses, CD keys, serial numbers and all this headache.

Windows is not free, nor the programs you install later. You have to buy them, and after installing 5-10 programs, they take more than 20 GB in your hard disk (the same programs in Linux take only 1 GB and are the same powerful).

With Windows you can get spyware and viruses without installing any programs, or opening any mail. They come out of... nowhere. A friend of mine installed Windows last night, he didn't install any programs yet. This morning he installed Ad-aware and it found already 122 spyware on his system (yes it is true). :blink:

Conclusion:

Linux = more performance, stability, more customization, less disk usage for better software, no licenses, no cd keys, no serial numbers, no spyware, no viruses, no "you moved your eyes, restart your computer for the change to take effect"

Windows = :no:

Edited by nickg78

I mainly use my PC to watch telly. I use Debian and MythTV to watch Freeview in the UK.

When there's only 3 oppoutunities to grap a new episode of Doctor Who you need something more reliable than Windows.

Why do I use Linux?

Because I like it. It fits like a well worn pair of blue jeans. It's stable, secure and proven. It takes away the worries and uncomfort of having to fit into MS's scheme of things. Some people seem to think the best thing is that it's free, I couldn't care less. I've paid for distro's before, and would have no problem doing so again. That is an inconsequential point to me. I've spent much more money on alternative OS's (OS/2 and Linux) than I have on Windows, and I certainly don't regret it. Linux is where I get all my productivity done. I do use some MS stuff, but they're playtoys (XBox and Windows both for playing the occasional game).

Because Tux is my favorite ninja.

No seriosuly, I use linux for development, because I feel it makes software development easier.

Just because it feels right. I have to use Win2k at work and it is horrible. Linuc chills me out when I get home...

I Sold my pc lately.

but i switched to Linux simply because i was tired of just being knowledgeable in just one OS. I wanted to expand my knowledge of OS's and Linux was the perfect choice for me also my needs for a PC changed as well to simpler ones, All i wanted was a good browser,email, neowin, music, irc. Ubuntu did all that for me, Not only that i don't have to worry about chipset drivers, and AntiVirus, and spyware.

Ubuntu Is the bomb! period :)

Interesting point.

I don't know if that is reasonable, though, unless you turn over administration to someone else.

With Windows, the administration is pretty much handled by Microsoft.?  The EULA agreed-to by installing and running Windows gives Microsoft the right to install any software they choosewithout> the messy need of your approval.?  In my book that makethemb> the real administrator.?  You just do the on-site work of connecting to Windows Update.

But something what you asked for exists in Linux-land.? ? Linspire put a lot of work into taking the thinking and knowledge requirement out of Linux.?  It makes it easier to use, but at a price of independence and ownership.

In the end, every user will have to decide for themselves what balance of administration/ease they prefer.

586008103[/snapback]

Mark I think you got it all wrong. The user is the administrator of the system. Think of it have to update virus definitions, install anti-spyware tools, anti-trojan etc...

With Linux the person installing it doesn't have to do much in the end to keep their system running wihtout problems.

The user not only has to figure out what's wrong but spends hundreds of dollars getting their problems fixed. Remember newbies are newbies, they dont' spend trying to learn something and with Linux install it and use it and you're fine.

Suse is quite popular and probably has the best user base for help if you do have to get something installed. May I also put that LinuxQuestions.org helps users with any problem they have on their forums. Most Windows users are blind and don't even keep their system up to date or even know what WindowsUpdate is. Sad but true.

I used to be a Linux naysayer but I've been using Linux for a while now and only use Windows to convert my vcds to dvd format and that's about it.

With Linux the person installing it doesn't have to do much in the end to keep their system running wihtout problems.

The user not only has to figure out what's wrong but spends hundreds of dollars getting their problems fixed. Remember newbies are newbies, they dont' spend trying to learn something and with Linux install it and use it and you're fine.

586010862[/snapback]

I am not quite sure if I read this right, but if you are saying that Linux users encounter problems when they install things or update their system, I do not agree at all....

Once the system is up and running (and the install process is as easy as it gets for many of the current distros) it takes no brains at all (ok,... maybe just a little) to update your system with YAST, URPMI, Apt, Yum, Up2Date, or whatever you use. It is no more difficult than Windows Update. And ALL of the programs are updated, not just the OS.

You really couldn't ask for more than that. :yes:

Barney

p.s. If I read the above quote wrong.... please disregard... :rolleyes:

I use Linux because I don't have to worry about installing spyware removers, anti virus programs, and other pest related software you need in Windows.

I also LOVE not having to crack software for Linux. Being truly free is something no windows user can comprehend until they experience Linux.

LAMP - Linux - Apache - MySQL - PHP

Cheapest way to setup a server to create web applications on. I also do a lot of shell scripting to make cron jobs that do routine procedures for my Windows network. When faced with a problem that will require a new computer I try to think if I can use Linux to address the problem first. That way I can avoid licensing fees for Windows.

My primary OS at home is Mac OS X 10.4.1 (tiger)

My primary OS at work is Windows XP pro SP2

I use to work in Linux regularly at work. But since I moved all my work to my laptop I found that I couldn't live without my wireless card working. I've found that things either work or they don't in Linux. You can probably throw 5 to 10 hours into a problem trying to come up with a solution (I have for sound problems before...probably a lot more then 10 hours), but now I know if I can't get it to work in an hour or so then it just isn't worth it to me. Boot back into Windows :D.

It is, however, my personal goal to be proficient at all 3 major OSes, Windows, Mac OS, and *nix.

-nic

Several reasons. Most of them have already been said. It makes sense, little/no maintenance, no viruses/spyware/etc, safe permissions by default, free, yada yada yada...

Another thing fo me is that it's easier than windows. Yes, you read correctly, easier. This probably needs explaining. Try doing this in windows. Take two files with a random bunch of URLs, sort them, merge them and remove duplicates. Now do this in one line of code on the command line.

Another thing is that I have seemless integration with the UNIX machines (Solaris 2.8) at my uni.

• 4 weeks later...

I just can't get on using it as a desktop OS. I find I want and need to use programs from Windows. Mainly games.

I do however try to pick linux as my main server OS. Bash is just so flexable. Services are as stable as hell and I know my servers are faster from having no big GUI in memory all the time. Nice to see that it doesnt really care that its not been rebooted in weeks. It runs as good as it did when it first booted up!

I use Trustix btw.

Primarily I use linux because I like the extreme level of control over the system one can get. The entire system functionality is quite simple, and fairly easy to understand. Its great to be able to look through scripts, follow the entire progress of the system from the start and generally understand a good deal.

The ability to mix and match applications is very appealing too, one can choose whichever window manager one wants, to get a perfect combination of speed and looks. Same goes for every application, including the GNU set of tools which are used by default in most distro's.

Plus I get a very stable and secure OS for my ancient system :p

Well I use Linux (Fedora Core 3) as my lone OS on the laptop simply because it is more suitable than Windows 2000. It is a bit faster, more stable, more customizable, and is actually easier than Windows once you get everything set up properly!

I also got Linux (Fedora Core 4) as a secondary OS on my desktop so I could test various drivers and such.

Only as Server, as a Desktop Computer? not a change it feels like its glued together even worse than Windows 95 did.

Besides for ever Linux guy that says I have all the software and its free. Well if your happy great, but it OS X and Windows for the rest of the non geeks who dont want to fine tune an operating system just to run a calculator app.

I use Linux as my primary PS. I only ever go back into Windows for Visio.. :angry:

I just love its flexability.  I use Linux for everything: gaming (big UT2k4 fan), design (gimp, Inkscape, photoshop), basic internet stuff (much more secure for surfing/email) MUCH MUCH better for networking/filesharing....

586007834[/snapback]

You have UT2004 running on Linux? I thought it was native Windows... do you use Cadega/Wine or can you get native Linux versions of the game??

but it OS X and Windows for the rest of the non geeks who dont want to fine tune an operating system just to run a calculator app.

586148143[/snapback]

I think you are exaggerating quite a lot. :rolleyes:

There is a term for posting flagrantly false information in a deliberate attempt to stir up inflammatory responses to the post. It is called "flamebaiting", and is against the rules.

I suggest you read them.

Link: https://www.neowin.net/rules.htm

You have UT2004 running on Linux? I thought it was native Windows... do you use Cadega/Wine or can you get native Linux versions of the game??

586148201[/snapback]

I bought UT2k4 just because the demo was fun, and they support Linux by having a Linux installer on the same CDs that the Windows installer is on. (Y)

Truly a native Linux app. Even has a pic of Tux on the box. ;)

I love linux for its in my eyes ease of use, stability and the software installations. Using a debian based OS as I do, makes installing programs a snap with such front ends as synaptic. When I first started I used synaptic and other GUI tools often but now for the most part if I know a package name I use the command prompt. I find that is the problem with windows is that you use a GUI for mostly everything and waste time. What is my favourite text editor for modifying confs? Nano. Command Line again. I do not use mplayer but I have taken up beep which I find works very well and is much cleaner and faster than winamp.

Windows still resides on my PC, although I do not use it. The PC is a household one and I still cannot convince the rest of the members to switch. I do not hold a grudge against microsoft or windows as it was very useful, but Windows is just not for me.

Brian