The National Scripps Spelling Bee

So what do you think. Is it appropriate for this competition to be aired on a sports network?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. So what do you think. Is it appropriate for this competition to be aired on a sports network?

• Yes
    • No

Give your reasons why, too.

P.S. Before everyone points out the obvious I realize that those of you who argue it shouldn't, like myself, will probably think it doesn't belong in this forum even but since the debate will likely be focused on whther or not it's a sport I thought it would be ok. If a mod feels the need to move it, it will be moved.

I voted no because as far as I'm concerned a sport involves physical activity. This, like poker, also aired on ESPN, does not involve that. While I'm not trying to diminish these activities, I do not think either belongs on what is supposed to be a sports network.

I voted no because it doesn't belong there but since losing NASCAR (and most other racing) ESPN has been forced to put on more and more non-standard "sports" to fill the time:

poker

scrabble

cheerleading

spelling bees

What other odd things have been aired by ESPN over the last few years?

I voted yes because lately, tv and sports seem to go hand in hand. I hear that next week on jepoardy, Trebek is going to dress up like a goalie and a bunch of nhler's are going to take shots at his head for half an hour.

It is always good to have a change of pace on ESPN. It is only on a few hours each year. Hell, they show the WNBA. I'd rather watch the spelling bee than that.

i don't see what it is hurting. the spelling bee has been on ESPN for as long as i can remember. plus its only once a year. i don't think you can compare it to poker because poker is ALWAYs on, or at least it seems like. once a year things are OK if you ask me, but if you start showing all the minor spelling bees and stuff then it gets out of hand. plus its those kids one chance to be on national TV.

and hey, if you don't like it, change the channel

I voted no because it doesn't belong there but since losing NASCAR (and most other racing) ESPN has been forced to put on more and more non-standard "sports" to fill the time:

poker

scrabble

cheerleading

spelling bees

What other odd things have been aired by ESPN over the last few years?

586008154[/snapback]

Juggling. Jump Roping. :laugh:

ok, the spelling bee was one thing, but today they have a MATH COMPETITION on. thats even worse! i actually watched the spelling bee, because it's fun to laugh at the stupid kids when you see they are spelling a word wrong. but the math, you can't really follow it, or what they are thinking, so it's not even fun to watch.

why did they need to make a seperate channel for the U?

there is enough college sports to fill the time. i really wish they'd show sports all day. i don't like watching the NFL players playing tug of war (plus it replayed a ton of times), i don't like watching pro athletes suck at bowling, and i don't like the show teammates.

i just want to watch real, live sports. like, why not show the french open semifinal live? it's playing now, but it won't be on TV for another 3 hours. there's always enough sports going on in the country that they shouldn't have to show that other crap.

i just want to watch real, live sports.? like, why not show the french open semifinal live?? it's playing now, but it won't be on TV for another 3 hours.?  there's always enough sports going on in the country that they shouldn't have to show that other crap.

586010822[/snapback]

Well said.

I was looking forward to that Federer/Nadal match ever since Wednesday and I thought it would be live. So, I'm flipping stations and I see NBC has French Open on. ******s, they are showing the Nadal/Ferrer match from Wednesday! Irritating.

I get frustrated with the Olympics because of this as well. Just show the damn thing live, if people want to watch it they will or they will record it. By the time we get to watch it, it's old news.

Oh yeah, I voted NO on the Spelling Bee. ESPN is just looking for filler for SportsCenter and they want to have a little reality TV thrown in there. I hated 'Playmakers', I hated 'Tilt', I didn't like 'Dream Job'...and I don't like the Spelling Bee. 11-year old kids should not be pressured like that. I mean, they got friggin commentators for the stupid thing. WTF do I need some play-by-play breakdown for??

Edited by soloredd

You think they are maybe trying to make the nerds feel cool by putting them on the sports channel?

"whew! Tough set man! Oligarchy and Duodenum both in the same round, dude Gatorade me, high five." :rofl:

You think they are maybe trying to make the nerds feel cool by putting them on the sports channel?

"whew!  Tough set man! Oligarchy and Duodenum both in the same round, dude Gatorade me, high five."  :rofl:

586010856[/snapback]

LOL, hey those are easy words...i could have spelled them :p

can you use it in a sentence? country of origin? can you us it in a sentence again? are there any other pronounciations?

and then you got the commentator:

see right now, he doesn't know the word! but he's using the root structures to build it, how amazing!

I voted yes, because the FCC requires a certain amount of hours towards education shows. I think this is how ESPN takes care of this requirement.

lol did you guys see the kid that did the "Napoleon Dynamite" quote?? Another kid from Roanke, Va had a sign that had Roanoke misspelled :rofl:

I voted yes, because the FCC requires a certain amount of hours towards education shows.  I think this is how ESPN takes care of this requirement.

586011478[/snapback]

Is that so? :huh:

I think if a Spelling Bee is considered a "Sport" by ESPN then they should also show professional "watching paint dry"...I still can't believe they air poker...when the hell did poker become a "sport"...

lol did you guys see the kid that did the "Napoleon Dynamite" quote?? Another kid from Roanke, Va had a sign that had Roanoke misspelled? :rofl::

586011552[/snapback]

Yeah and NOBODY there got it lol. But yeah I'd have to agree with BroChaos. I shouldn't need an extra channel to show college sports when ESPN has hours to fill. I know I started this as a poll about the spelling bee but I really am annoyed at the whole lets make three channels when we don't evev fill one with sports constantly. It makes no sense. I'd rather watch college sports than poker, the spelling bee, or more shows about the championship runs of old (that's what Classic is for).

seriously, bbp35. i'm lucky enough to get to watch TV all day at work, ESPN HD no less, yet what do i get from like 9am to 4pm? nothing but fricking NBA and boxing highlights from 1965 that look like CRAP on an HDTV. keep that stuff on classic!

I don't really have a probelm with it, but as someone said earlier, the math competition pushed it a bit far. I enjoy watching the poker, and some people would argue that it is a sport.

Edit: What do you think about the ESPN original entertainment i.e. Around the Horn, PTI, "Playmakers" and "TILT"?

Edit: What do you think about the ESPN original entertainment i.e. Around the Horn, PTI, "Playmakers" and "TILT"?

586022507[/snapback]

Around the Horn and PTI I like. They're talk/debate shows about sports. I love Wilbon and Kornheiser on PTI especially. They have great chemistry. And Tony Reali (Stat Boy and host of Around the Horn) is a Fordham alum :D. The dramas, I don't care for so much. ANd I actually did get addicted to the poker craze for a while but it's NOT a sport.

seriously, bbp35.? i'm lucky enough to get to watch TV all day at work, ESPN HD no less, yet what do i get from like 9am to 4pm?? nothing but fricking NBA and boxing highlights from 1965 that look like CRAP on an HDTV.? keep that stuff on classic!

586015892[/snapback]

Where do I apply for this jo:p :p Lucky bum. Well, you could probably turn to ESPNU if you have that option. I unfortunately don't. Following those Lady Wolverines in the Softball World Series?

Edited by bigbluepride35

Around the Horn and PTI I like. They're talk/debate shows about sports. I love Wilbon and Kornheiser on PTI especially. They have great chemistry. And Tony Reali (Stat Boy and host of Around the Horn) is a Fordham alum :D. The dramas, I don't care for so much. ANd I actually did get addicted to the poker craze for a while but it's NOT a sport.

586022536[/snapback]

I like PTI because as you mentioned, it talks about sporting issues. I now like around the horn because of Tony Reali. They guy before was a complete jerk and I couldn't stand watching his cocky attitude.

Is that so? :huh:

586013096[/snapback]

This is what I found so far...

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/childtv.html

The 104 Members of Congress who wrote to the FCC want the Commission to establish a minimum number of hours of acceptable programming per week that broadcasters must air. The letter declares that the FCC should establish a quantitative federal requirement of at least three hours of federally approved "educational" programming that private broadcasters must air each week or risk having their broadcasting licenses revoked.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Family/EM450.cfm