Virus : Deletes Program Files...

This is really weird, my moms friend brought me her comp to fix and every single one of her program files were deleted. She said she didn't do it but i was thinking she did. norton said she had no virus or anything when i installed it. so i was like :/ anyway fixed her comp by formated it and other **** lol. But what is WEIRD!!! today my program files just started to disappear. This thing whatever it is deleted my A - C program files and just stopped once again norton didn't pick it up. my taskmanager says nothing is running and nothing starts up with windows so this is really freaky. anyone else have something like this going on?

Windows xp is what i'm using if it matters.

Weird stuff. My comps have been behaving strangely recently. Just last night i switched on my XP Box and the thing refuses to boot into windows. Blue screens on every attempt. Not even safe mode helps. :ermm: I ran "dir" from a command prompt and sure enough my entire windows directory has been trashed. Something odd is going on. The machine was fine when i used it last, so i dont know what could have happened.:confused:

Anyhow, Moved to Security

yes i know something is out there that is ****ing me off! if i lose my ;) collection aww postal will be served.

yes my defin. are updated even downloaded that other virus protector thing still nothing.

...errmm.... thinking..... :ermm:

Think what have you dowloaded/installed lately... and compare with things dowloaded/installed by your mom's friend...

I will be alert... just in case.... :confused:

Originally posted by Keldyn

Weird stuff. My comps have been behaving strangely recently. Just last night i switched on my XP Box and the thing refuses to boot into windows. Blue screens on every attempt. Not even safe mode helps. :ermm: I ran "dir" from a command prompt and sure enough my entire windows directory has been trashed. Something odd is going on. The machine was fine when i used it last, so i dont know what could have happened.:confused:

Anyhow, Moved to Security

Hey... have you been trying to overclocking a dress in your XP box...??? Lol...!!!! :p

Possible causes:

Boot-Sector Virus (try a low level format for those)

Bad-Sector or two or two-thousand. (Buy a new hard drive for this)

well how does all this just happen like recently? i mean its very weird seeing it happening to my moms friends comp, mine and then keldyn reported something of the same thing....

is there a way to check the boot sectors or bad sectors?

Alright, let's do some investigative work...

1. Have both of you (You, Keldyn) used IRC in the last twos before you were infected?

2. Have both of you downloaded the same rare programs, beta software, such as what? (I assume this virus must be rare, or else a lot of us would get it, if it's one of

these programs

3. have both of you direct connected with any dudes?

Originally posted by JediXAngel

Alright, let's do some investigative work...

1. Have both of you (You, Keldyn) used IRC in the last twos before you were infected?

2. Have both of you downloaded the same rare programs, beta software, such as what? (I assume this virus must be rare, or else a lot of us would get it, if it's one of

these programs

3. have both of you direct connected with any dudes?

i would have said irc but. my mom's friends comp didn't have irc on there believe me all it had was AOL

i think it was distributed from email.

Originally posted by JediXAngel

You can't get infected by just reading the email, you have to open the program first. Did you open an attachment?

Not totally true...

You can receive an HTML page (or an HTML fragment) in an e-mail with a malicious ActiveX, Java program or JavaScript to start a virus, worm or something like that.

Just opening or previewing that mail can start the malignous code.

Windows Update posted a lot of fixes for that exploits.

You have antivirus e-mail protection products for that reason... ;)

Originally posted by unsanity

well i dont read my email cause all it is, is spam from neowin ;) lol

Lol...!!! Same here, spammed every minute from posting in forums... :D

Originally posted by JHAres

Not totally true...

You can receive an HTML page (or an HTML fragment) in an e-mail with a malicious ActiveX, Java program or JavaScript to start a virus, worm or something like that.

Just opening or previewing that mail can start the malignous code.

Windows Update posted a lot of fixes for that exploits.

You have antivirus e-mail protection products for that reason... ;)

That's why my current Browser security is Medium High!!