Which Forum Software is better?

Which forum software?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Which forum software?

• vBulliten
    • IPB 2.04

Question

Which forum is better? I am asking becasue I have money right noe for a lisence and I want to know which one is better to get...

vBulliten

IPB 2.04

Post away and vote in the poll...

Why is it better?

586065847[/snapback]

Everyone just go "IPB IPB" without reasons, but like me, their reasons are most likely "all forum uses it, so it gotta be the best!". :pinch:

i believe vB is a lot more resource intensive, so its not good if you have a lot of active users on..

and thats why everyones goes for IPB because its less resource intensive

thats what i heard anyway, dunno if thats been fixed at all :p

The latest beta of vBulletin includes some very nifty AJAX support. It makes moderation a breeze, and even regular members can edit their posts simply by double-clicking in the post area. Look into it. :)

If you want to have a big community, I strongly suggest IPB, as the coding in vB is horrible in terms of optimization. vB uses too many queries, so it won't be able to keep up with a big community like IPB can.

Well, vB "copied" a lot of features IPB has, such as inline moderation, quick edit, etc.

IPB is very easy to moderate as everything is inline. No need for a moderator's control panel any more. The ACP also got a redesign, and it looks much easier to use, and the skinning seems way easier now.

http://www.mattmecham.com

Matt's blog has a bunch of videos on the features of 2.1, it'd be a good idea to take a look. :)

Not that I'm saying IPB sucks, or vB is better

586078401[/snapback]

Correct, just because some phpBB sites (or vB for that matter) have gotten bigger dosn't change features, ease of use or anything else for that matter.

Most of those site are so hacked that you can hardly call it "vB" or "phpbb" ;)

But isn't that the point? They are "hacked" so much, isn't that what people want? Who wants the same old vB or IPB or phBB look everyday 365 days a year? I sure don't lol

Like I said I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other, especially feature wise or ease of use. I've really only worked with IPB and phpBB, I have never had the pleasure of working with a vB based forum (and I'd love to, trust me) but it doesn't really matter what forum software you use, as long as you (read: YOU) find it easy to use, feature rich and meets your needs. :)

Correct, just because some phpBB sites (or vB for that matter) have gotten bigger dosn't change features, ease of use or anything else for that matter.

Most of those site are so hacked that you can hardly call it "vB" or "phpbb" ;)

586078581[/snapback]

hmm, completely forgot to reply to the thread:

IPB!

It got the best forum/topic/board view, admin CP and moderation (and this will improve in 2.1 as you can see on Matts blog posted above).

vB might have a few more features, but nothing i have had a need for really... and the admin cp is hell... so is forum/topic/board view (mainly topic view, i hate the avatar above the post...).

Its your decission so i would say that you should try both demos and make you own decision..