Community Rules Updated, IRC Rules added

I don't like this: (IRC)

"Note: Any infraction of these guidelines will result in a warning placed against your Neowin account and will be added to your overall warning level."

How can you know if someone wasn't posing as you?  :huh:

It's not like you guys have matched up the forum db with the IRC logins.

586121370[/snapback]

It is not a bad idea for members to reserve their member name with nickserv even if they are not interested in IRC.

However, I get your point, it would be better if the database was integrated but we would need to be a lot more restrictive on Neowin usernames (especially when it comes to special characters).

Still, we have other methods to ensure this.

So I guess with the new rules you guys had to add a disclaimer, eh?

Neowin is not responsible for hot coffee spillages or wardrobe malfunctions.

Who spilled the coffee and tried to sue!? :rofl:

Nickserv.

If you register your IRC nickname, then nobody else will be able to use it :)

586121981[/snapback]

Yeah I took care of that I know how to use IRC. My comment was a universal question it wasn't conserning myself.

Still, we have other methods to ensure this.

586122485[/snapback]

such as? This is a security issue. Your methods of identity should be disclosed to the members because IRC is pretty crappy when it comes to ID someone. all you have is the ability to ban them via HOST NAME AND IP ADDRESS.

So all you have to rely on to ban someone is that with IRC. Then run into the IPB Admin CP and check for a match? Thats all you have to rely on it.

IP Addreses / Hostnames are pretty uncertain.

We can quickly verify the IP address and verify it against forum IP's used by the member.

586124259[/snapback]

dude I have at least 10 IP's I use Neowin.

IP Address Matchups are bad.

What are you going to do Look at a state? hrmm. is xyz in AZ or has he fleed to france.

(N)

You need a better system then that. Otherwise don't punish someone on the boards keep that crap seperate.

If you get banned from IRC you're banned but don't bring that stuff up to the boards!

I don't like this: (IRC)

"Note: Any infraction of these guidelines will result in a warning placed against your Neowin account and will be added to your overall warning level."

How can you know if someone wasn't posing as you?  :huh:

It's not like you guys have matched up the forum db with the IRC logins.

586121370[/snapback]

We can quickly verify the IP address and verify it against forum IP's used by the member.

What are you going to do Look at a state? hrmm. is xyz in AZ or has he fleed to france.

(N)

You need a better system then that. Otherwise don't punish someone on the boards keep that crap seperate.

If you get banned from IRC you're banned but don't bring that stuff up to the boards!

586124266[/snapback]

Sorry, but it's already been implemented and in use since the irc channel began. We have yet to have ANY trouble verifying who people are.

Obviously we aren't going to share all the ways we verify people. If you were fully in the know on what we use, you might have an arguement. Neowin = board + irc. People don't have to like it, but that's the way it is. There will not be separate warning systems.

You can use 50 ips if you want. That won't change anything. We will still be able to verify who you are.

(N)

586124266[/snapback]

So? As soon as you post, that IP is permanently logged. It's very easy to match this stuff up and the guys who hover in IRC have had no issues doing so and have even caught a few people trying to evade their ban by hanging out in IRC. All in all, it works and is fine.

Yeah I took care of that I know how to use IRC. My comment was a universal question it wasn't conserning myself.

586124238[/snapback]

And the Nickserv is the universal answer.

Steven, our IPB has so many security mods and IP address mods that it is very easy to track down accounts, even ones that use multiple IP's. These are custom mods by our very own staff, so we are pretty confident when we are looking for someone.

And the Nickserv is the universal answer.

Steven, our IPB has so many security mods and IP address mods that it is very easy to track down accounts, even ones that use multiple IP's.  These are custom mods by our very own staff, so we are pretty confident when we are looking for someone.

586124659[/snapback]

Maybe you should put them up on invisionize :p

I was reading the IRC Rules and saw this O.o

"Neowin IRC Rules

(Last updated 24th July 2005)"

You mean June?

586114954[/snapback]

Read the first page. :laugh:

Sorry, but it's already been implemented and in use since the irc channel began.  We have yet to have ANY trouble verifying who people are.

Obviously we aren't going to share all the ways we verify people.  If you were fully in the know on what we use, you might have an arguement.  Neowin = board + irc.  People don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.  There will not be separate warning systems.

You can use 50 ips if you want.  That won't change anything.  We will still be able to verify who you are.

586124305[/snapback]

Is that why you have ot match up your e-mail as well?