Many bodybuilders?

How many of you currently give the old muscles a bashing every few days on these boards? I've been an avid member of a gym now for 3months and loving every session!

Currently 140lbs and 5.8", which isnt much, but its a start :D

What about your stats?

<<Link in your sig is enough, let's not spam, ok?>>

Edited by Armeck

How many of you currently give the old muscles a bashing every few days on these boards? I've been an avid member of a gym now for 3months and loving every session!

Currently 140lbs and 5.8", which isnt much, but its a start :D

What about your stats?

586114000[/snapback]

I won't call myself a body builder by any means. But I have as a general lifetyle lifted weights since I was about 14 years old. Right now I am 5'11" and about 195lbs., if I were to guess what I'd need to lose to be flat bellied and ripped probably about 185lbs.

Best I ever lifted was in when I was 18 and benched 250lbs. - I am bit off of that mark at the moment... ;)

I've been doing it for a year now. 5'10" 195lbs. I was at 180lbs before I started lifting! Don't know why I gained weight. I don't know if this is good but I can arm curl 50lb. dumbells.

I've been doing it for a year now.  5'10" 195lbs.  I was at 180lbs before I started lifting!  Don't know why I gained weight.  I don't know if this is good but I can arm curl 50lb. dumbells.

586114246[/snapback]

That's good. Do you mean you use 50s to work out with, ot that you simply "can" curl it? When I do dumbells I usually just use 35s, like I said I am not quite where I once was. Lately I've been focusing more on fat burning than muscle building - old age catching up to me.

I've been doing it for a year now.  5'10" 195lbs.  I was at 180lbs before I started lifting!  Don't know why I gained weight.  I don't know if this is good but I can arm curl 50lb. dumbells.

586114246[/snapback]

Muscles weigh appr. 2x as much as fat.

That's good.  Do you mean you use 50s to work out with, ot that you simply "can" curl it?  When I do dumbells I usually just use 35s, like I said I am not quite where I once was.  Lately I've been focusing more on fat burning than muscle building - old age catching up to me.

586114333[/snapback]

What's that? Cardio?

I lift 5 days a week and do cardio (running) 3 times a week. I usually bulk up during the winter and get ripped by changing my diet every april. I'm at 185 lbs right now and I'm ripped, six pack and all. My abs are the hardest thing for me to work out. I LOVE doing military presses. My shoulders get big! :cool:

i started a few months ago and then stopped, now im gunna start taking weight gain drinks with m meals and see if i can gain a bit of weight before starting again :)

im not really a bodybuilder. i have muscles from riding my bike everyday(bmx). besides that, im pretty skinny, or atleast that's what some people say. im 15 years old 6'4" 160lbs.

I cycle really bad. I will go 6 mo. on where I will drop about 20 pound to around 170 (I'm 5'11) then get lazy and go back to to 190. The diffrence is two pant sizes, so I have almost 2 full wardrobes, my skinny one and my not-so skinny one.

When I workout I run for 30...then lift then end with a 20-30 minute run. I eat around 1500-2000 calories a day to lose weight and burn little muscle and I eat 2500 a day to maintain and gain muscle mass. If I get over 3000 a day, I get fat (like now). Keep in mind I am 30, so it is diffrent for me than most of you.

I lift 3-4 days a week, and have been doing so for 6 years. I am 5'11' and weigh 212 pounds. When lifting, weight is the least important aspect. Proper form and tempo are much more important. I see jokers at the gym all the time 3, 4 and even 5 plates deep in a squat rack, and all they do is bend their knees a tiny bit for each rep. Same for other lifts. I see a lot of people "doing curls' by swinging the weights and using their back more than their arms. Trust me, you will get a lot stronger doing the lift slowly and with proper form than you will putting more weight on than you can lift and cheating just to get through it.

I lift 3-4 days a week, and have been doing so for 6 years.  I am 5'11' and weigh 212 pounds.  When lifting, weight is the least important aspect.  Proper form and tempo are much more important.  I see jokers at the gym all the time 3, 4 and even 5 plates deep in a squat rack, and all they do is bend their knees a tiny bit for each rep.  Same for other lifts.  I see a lot of people "doing curls' by swinging the weights and using their back more than their arms.  Trust me, you will get a lot stronger doing the lift slowly and with proper form than you will putting more weight on than you can lift and cheating just to get through it.

586114419[/snapback]

I agree. Form is more important than diet I think.

well im starting the gym next week, for the summer holiday, nothing like weights, just cross trainer, running machine etc, just to keep healthy

started in highschool at 115lbs (after my freashman year), dont know how tall. i remember when just 25lbs on the side were a pain in benchpress. Ended highschool weighing at 165 lbs. Bench press 265 lbs trying to get 300 lbs because i was in football and about a 350 lbs squat, my favorite workout. Bad thing about it was that too much squats but we didnt have a hamstring curl so big quads + fast running (track) + bad streatching = hamstring injury. 405 lbs in squats in college, they wouldnt let me do much bench, 265 lbs was good enough for track.

not much into bodybuilding but strength training. dont like to get the bulk, search for the diffrence, the muscles are diffrent between the two. bodybuilding for show, strenght for sports.

Edited by dolimite35

That's good.  Do you mean you use 50s to work out with, ot that you simply "can" curl it?  When I do dumbells I usually just use 35s, like I said I am not quite where I once was.  Lately I've been focusing more on fat burning than muscle building - old age catching up to me.

586114333[/snapback]

I work out with it. I do 3 sets of 5 with the 50lbs.

Muscles weigh appr. 2x as much as fat.

586114338[/snapback]

Yep, think of a golf ball of amount of muscle weighing as much as a baseball's worth of fat.

I lift 3-4 days a week, and have been doing so for 6 years.  I am 5'11' and weigh 212 pounds.  When lifting, weight is the least important aspect.  Proper form and tempo are much more important.  I see jokers at the gym all the time 3, 4 and even 5 plates deep in a squat rack, and all they do is bend their knees a tiny bit for each rep.  Same for other lifts.  I see a lot of people "doing curls' by swinging the weights and using their back more than their arms.  Trust me, you will get a lot stronger doing the lift slowly and with proper form than you will putting more weight on than you can lift and cheating just to get through it.

586114419[/snapback]

You bet! I hav enever been a bragging type of lifter, and I rarley ever try to max out. Nice and smooth and consistent is the way to develop the muscles. It is best to go to a gym with blinders on - don't look around at the other guys tossing big plates around, jsut focus on yourself. I hate even talking to others so I alwyas have me headphones in so I can zone in.

I work out with it.  I do 3 sets of 5 with the 50lbs.

586114459[/snapback]

I think that may be too much weight and not enough reps, but if it is working for you then that's good. Are you getting big, but not defined? That is more of a powerlifting style of technique (high weight and low reps.) I use the 35s and go 3 sets of 10-12.

Hey guys...I just started working out with a personal trainer two days ago. Now, I can hardly walk today!!!! Any ideas on how to overcome the cramping? It's not just regular soreness, but this is soreness plus occasional cramping. It sucks. But at least I know I got a good work out. I'm going three days a week for the next few months.

I workout consistantly, 3 days on, 4th day cardio, 3days on. This summer my goal was to gain 20lbs by the end of August (starting in May). I've gained 7lb so far. I'm taking Mass gainer, Creatine Monohyrdate, Gluatamine, Taurine supplments as well. I'm 6'0 165lbs ripped 6 pack as well. I do abs every second day. They only time I take time off from the gym is when exams come up, which usually results in taking 1 week off, that or if i get injured in hockey, other than that I don't take time off from the gym, but still wouldn't consider myself a bodybuilder, only way I'd consider myself a bodybuilder is if I started looking like those guys who go into bodybuilding competitions, and my goal isn't too look like that at all .. so i guess i'll never be a bodybuilder lol. If any of you watch UFC, i'm going for a build like that, with my target weight being 190.

post-22542-1119634251_thumb.jpg

post-22542-1119634266_thumb.jpg

Yep, think of a golf ball of amount of muscle weighing as much as a baseball's worth of fat.

You bet!  I hav enever been a bragging type of lifter, and I rarley ever try to max out.  Nice and smooth and consistent is the way to develop the muscles.  It is best to go to a gym with blinders on - don't look around at the other guys tossing big plates around, jsut focus on yourself.  I hate even talking to others so I alwyas have me headphones in so I can zone in.

586114467[/snapback]

I don't even go to the gym. I bought a good set of free weights and dedicated a spare room in my house as my gym. I don't ever use any of the machines. I don't like to deal with any of the trendy gyms here in my town. I also do crunches and incline pushups right off the side of my couch. :yes:

I'm currently 172Lbs. I'm eating six meals/day and gaining an average of 1LB per week (lots of chicken). 6'0 straight up getting ready for college.

I'm soo skinny, I'm trying to start into working out.

I'm 5"9 and I weigh 110 pounds. :(

586114352[/snapback]

I have been working out for a little over 2 years now. It has been a very slow progression of bulking and then cutting. If you are looking to get bigger and put on some mass, lifting will not help unless you are eating right. When it comes to lifting weights, diet is just as important as the weights you are pounding out in the gym. A lot of people try to gain muscle and burn fat at the same time. While it can be done, it is very difficult to do. I would suggest bulking periods, where you eat a lot of good calories in a day, followed by shorter periods of cutting, where you reduce your caloric intake so that your body maintains most of your muscle mass while dropping fat. In my experience this has been the easiest way to try and gain lean mass.