Reasons to switch

Surely that could be better kitten. For example, the AMD up to a 2200 and the GF4 Ti4200 up to a Ti4600.

And Anormal, you can buy different mice and keyboards...

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

Subtotal:

$ 3,240.00

I don't know about the majority of people here, but with that sum I'd build myself a 4 way processor cluster...

With 1000$, here in Italy, you can get much better components and built your own system than that bull**** from AlienWare.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Surely that could be better kitten. For example, the AMD up to a 2200 and the GF4 Ti4200 up to a Ti4600.

And Anormal, you can buy different mice and keyboards...

thats as high as you can get on the amd system that alienware sells

Originally posted by JediXAngel

*SIGH*

Why is Another Mac user trying to act Holier than thou attitude?

I hate that kind of attitude about Mac Users more than the MAC itself !!! :right:

I will NEVER switch to MAC, as long as most of the Mac Users have UGLY Attitudes like this. I want to be a part of a proud team, not a whiny team that all they do is complaining about PCs and telling PC users they are stupid.

You hardly see a PC user do that, you know why don't a PC user telling Mac users PCs are better? Because we DON'T have to!!! The truth couldn't be more clear...

There is NOTHING more holier about your Mac than a PC, if anything, it's the Complete opposite.

erm, what do you think you are acting like right now?

I want to be a part of a proud team, not a whiny team that all they do is complaining about PCs and telling PC users they are stupid.

lmfao a proud team? You mean the same team that use to slag microsoft to the *****es and back before xp came out? The same team that has welcomed Billy Boy back into the fold with open arms now?

Why do you feel so threatened by the fact that someone wants to use a mac hmm?

Originally posted by Fedr0

I don't know about the majority of people here, but with that sum I'd build myself a 4 way processor cluster...

With 1000$, here in Italy, you can get much better components and built your own system than that bull**** from AlienWare.

lmfao I highly doubt it. You get me a price quote for a system that includes:

Case: Dragon Full-Tower Case (340-Watt PS) (Conspiracy Blue)

Power Supply: Enermax EG651P-VE 550 Watt Power Supply

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ Processor 266Mhz FSB

Memory: 1GB Corsair XMS DDR SDRAM

Hard Drive One: 80GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache

Hard Drive Two: 80GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache

Optical Drive One: PlexCombo 20/10/40-12A CD-RW/DVD-ROM - IDE - Black

Video Card: NVIDIA? GeForce4 Ti 4200 w/64MB Dual Monitor

Video Cooling: KoolMaxx Video Cooling System (Standard Chrome)

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1 Platinum

Ethernet NIC: Intel? PRO/1000 Copper Gigabit Desktop Adapter

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 400-Watt THX Speakers (Space Black)

Keyboard: 107-Enhanced Windows Keyboard (Conspiracy Blue)

Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB (Conspiracy Blue)

Power Protection: Powerware 3110 600VA 400-Watt UPS

Operating System: Microsoft? Windows? XP Professional

Automated Support: AlienAutopsy

Warranty: Aliencare Toll-Free 2-Year 24/7 ONSITE Warranty

im not too bothered on the warranty but you find a website that sells pabetter than those for under 1k.

I dare you

Originally posted by JediXAngel

No, I don't have anything against Mac, just the Users (Arrogant ones, Too many!) that enough to turn me off!!! :sleeping:

You could say the same about PC users and their mac bashing...

Ahhh! you guys drive me crazy with this Mac vs. PC stuff! :ermm:

We need a sister site like a neomac.net or a mac-o-head.net so that PC users and Mac users do not intermingle so much.

nooo.. we need to intermingle.. thats like saying put amd fans and intel fans seperate.. competition is what makes the world go round.. think about it.. if there was no competition no one would have to make better things.. lol

jessejlt:

if u read Dazzla's pst u would actually c he was refuring to geting 60+fps in rtcw not q3 and persnoally i think rtcw is the "best" game out now and everyone out there agrees its the most graphically advanced. now on my pc im lucky to get 60+fps looking at the wall (i know my pc aint xactly advanced) and jessejlt u do have the faster processor and much beter ram but the same gfx card.

JediXAngel:

what attitude? i think ure post shows that it's on both sides of the fence. im reminded by a statement by some one a verylong time ago "most mac users swear by there macs where most windows users swear at there computers" dunno about u but windows 9x has driven me up the wall a bit and yeah mac has too but not as often and seriously.

man4theladys:

By the looks of it ure a Id game fan so u have got no worries about cing id games out on the mac. also there is a good catalogue of old(big list :) ) and nu games(rtcw) out there and not to mention all the classics(half life).

Now i dont know how computer lirerate ure family are but even the newest of computer users can get to grips with a mac so that a good advantage. also im guesing u have already got 1+ pcs in ure house. u can network mac's to pc easily (all nu macs have builit in 10/100/1000 LAN) and saying its v easy to share files between the two sytems and play games over lan with em.

most nu hardware is mac compatable and contary to popular belefe U CAN UPGRADE URE PROSECCOR IN A MAC and been able to for many many yrs, so future upgrading is a viable solution.

there is the whole the mac has a pc counter part software (office,ie,photoshop,dreamweaver, etc) and also has the added advantage of being able to use unix stuff too (kde 3 has been ported to os x).

Dazzla:

ure imac will run doom 3. there is a nv15(gf2mx) code path in the game and ure processor would prob be min req for mac(estimated at the moment is a 1ghz pentium but d3 is far from finished so ne thing can happen)

By the looks of it ure a Id game fan so u have got no worries about cing id games out on the mac. also there is a good catalogue of old(big list ) and nu games(rtcw) out there and not to mention all the classics(half life).

and thats all i needed to hear. thank u for helping me make my decision. when i save up enough money my next computer will be an apple.

why is at always "resons to switch to..." there wondows or mac or linux

why the **** cant we use more that one if we need/want to?

i like mac OS's, they are consistantly better in my opinion.

but really i use CAD alot os i need windows but so i can have fun i dual boot suse linux on the same box and at the same time uses 3 macs that are in the house regularly for tasks besides CAD and gaming.

i really hate the serio types that get made about users :

mac = too dumb to use anything esle

windows = sheep that have to bash every other platform

linux = too hard for the average user, hardly anyhting you can do on it but say "well at least i'm not a sheep"

so what who cares? debates on whats better will go forever so why not just come to realise that differnet flavers of OS's are all equal for what they do: allow you to use you computer.

and as for what platform is better? apple hardware or PC, they used to be alot different but they are gettering closer to the same everyday, and i think it wont be long before the only difference is the logo on the front of the case.

my 2 cents...

Originally posted by man4theladys

and thats all i needed to hear. thank u for helping me make my decision. when i save up enough money my next computer will be an apple.

Good for you. You'll spend 2 to 3 times as much to get something that doesnt perform as well (especially in games).

The reason to buy a mac is because you've always used them, or your company makes you.

PC's are faster (even for many graphics applications), cheaper, just as easy to use, and no less reliable than a mac.

And yes, i have used both - this isnt unfounded. I've used all the OS's since 7 all the way up for pretty much everything, and i've been on PC since before windows.

blah blah hardware stuff

Subtotal:

$ 3,240.00

i'd much rather have two of these, not to mention it is faster, and better, with 50% more HD space, RAIDed, a better video card, a burner that is more than twice as fast, a speaker system that has been reviewed as being better...

SKU Qty. Item Unit Price Ext. Price

A13780 LITE ON 16X-DVD/48X-CDROM INTERNAL EIDE #LTD-163 (Retail) Detail Specs $43.00 $43.00

A16460 WD 120GB WD1200JB EIDE ULTRA-ATA/100 7200RPM SE W/8MB BUFFER (Bare drive) Detail Specs $172.00 $172.00

543535 D-LINK 10BT/100BTX DFE530TX+ PCI W/WAKE-ON-LAN 1-PK (Bare card) Detail Specs $10.99 $10.99

A15070 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (DSP/OEM)*Must be Purchased w/Hardware!!* Detail Specs $139.90 $139.90

AB05-B221-17-9--A02504- AMD ATHLON & DDR 333 SYSTEMS

1.44MB FDD

(EPOX 8K3A+(REV 1.1); AMD ATHLON XP 2100+; 512MB NON-ECC PC2700(333Mhz); NO CDROM, CDRW OR DVD; ENLIGHT 7237/3-Spec; NO MONITOR) $476.20 $476.20

600588 VISIONTEK XTASY GEFORCE4 TI4600 128MB AGP W/S-VIDEO & DVI OUT Detail Specs $337.00 $337.00

A18970 LITE ON 48X/12X/48X EIDE INTERNAL CDRW BURN PROOF W/SW (Retail) $92.00 $92.00

270258 LOGITECH CORDLESS FREEDOM OPTICAL KEYBOARD & MOUSE USB/PS2 Detail Specs $75.00 $75.00

513475 SAMSUNG 19"/18V SYNCMASTER 955DF .25 1600X1200 65HZ DYNA FLAT ($50.00 Mail-In Manufacturer Rebate Available till 06/29/2002) Detail Specs $226.68 $226.68

A14940 CREATIVE LABS SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY SB1394 FIREWIRE (Model #SB0090) (White box) $62.00 $62.00

395106 LOGITECH Z560 400WATTS SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM W/M3D MATRIX (*While Supplies Last!) Detail Specs $129.00 $129.00

Sub Total $1,763.77

almost exactly half of the system you posted... that is with a 19inch monitor that is .20 dotpitch flatscreen also.

I could probably drop that price at least 100-200 more dollars buying from seperate places... Oh yea that has wireless keyboard/opitcal mouse also. Another 512 ram doesnt cost that much ($100). How many people have gigabit networks? Be realistic :)

Originally posted by vraa

actully i haven't.. heh

imma keep an eye on this thread.. i just might go out and buy a mac.. plus i can get that really cool ipod.. heh

XPLAY :)

edit: Or get your hands on one of the Toshiba's that is even cooler with removable hard drives ;)

Originally posted by xWeston

Sub Total $1,763.77

I could probably drop that price at least 100-200 more dollars buying from seperate places... Oh yea that has wireless keyboard/opitcal mouse also. Another 512 ram doesnt cost that much ($100). How many people have gigabit networks? Be realistic :)

Ahem like I said in the previous post, price a system with parts as good as or better than the ones listed

LITE ON 16X-DVD/48X-CDROM INTERNAL EIDE #LTD-163 (Retail) Detail Specs $43.00 $43.00
vsPlexCombo 20/10/40-12A CD-RW/DVD-ROM - IDE - Black- the reason why that drive is so cheap is cos 1. lite-on is crap and 2. it doesnt burn cd's did you not notice the cdrom bit at the end?
WD 120GB WD1200JB EIDE ULTRA-ATA/100 7200RPM SE W/8MB BUFFER (Bare drive) Detail Specs $172.00 $172.00
vs 2x 80GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache if you are going to have them in raid then you'd better double the price mr mathematician which I notice you didn't do in your tally.
D-LINK 10BT/100BTX DFE530TX+ PCI W/WAKE-ON-LAN 1-PK How many people have gigabit networks? Be realistic :)
Everyone who has a new mac has a gigabit network, thats who.
(EPOX 8K3A+(REV 1.1); AMD ATHLON XP 2100+; 512MB NON-ECC PC2700(333Mhz) $476.20
Cheap ass ram and a cheap ass mobo, no wonder its only 476.20. The alienware comes with an nforce mobo and 1gb of corsair xms ram not that cheap ass crucial crap.
LITE ON 48X/12X/48X EIDE INTERNAL CDRW BURN PROOF W/SW
another dinner winner from the craptastic company lite on
CREATIVE LABS SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY SB1394 FIREWIRE
The alienware comes with a SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1 Platinum once again, better parts!
395106 LOGITECH Z560 400WATTS SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM W/M3D MATRIX
Logitech != Klipsch, quote me a price for cheap klipsch speakers

Basically what you do are trying to do is build a BMW out of Toyota parts. I already know that people can manage to build crapstastic computers on a budget but the point is You are always going to pay more for quality and the reason why Mercedes are more expensive than Ford's.

Heh I feel like putting my 2 cents in

Ok The PC Is a good platform indeed, It has the software support as well as the hardware support. Everything you possibly could want is on the pc. and Yes they are faster indeed. I Will Give you pc users that but there is a bad bad os called Windows Xp. Microsoft has done a nice job on this os to and its still bad. It crashes for me atleast 5 times a day when my pc is botted up. (Explorer.exe Crashed = Kernel Panic). And the Ugly almost unusable interface of Windows dosent float my boat either. This IS Coming from (Used to be) Hardcore PC User. I still read up ofcourse about Mobos, GFX, sound etc. Because thats what I like but Its your Big Flaw and You Guys KNow it

The Mac on the other hand isnt as fast as pc but not much slower. I would have to say that it is about a 1 to 7% slower in some apps but yet also faster depending on the system. The Mac does have the equal software support the pc dose only difference is that the PC has 6 different version of 1 piece of software where as the mac might have 1 or 2. Games for mac are Coming Along. I Play RTCW, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Warcraft III, Medal of Honer, Star Wars Galatic Battle Grounds, and Alice quite a bit. All run very very good on my iBook. You wont see rarly any kernel panics on OSX since it is using a Unix based file system for very good stability. OSX 10.2 is coming out soon which will improve on everything even more. Id wait if your going to buy a mac till that came out.

PC

---------------------

Pros

-----

1) Good Soft

2) Good Hard

3) Fast

Cons

------

1) Unstable

2) Ugly

Mac

---------------------

Pros

-----

1) Fairly Good Soft

2) Good Hard

3) Pretty

4) Good Support

5) Stable

Cons

------

1) A Tad Slower

Conclusion

=======

Id say Go for a mac. They have very good futures and they are the best things out now. They are wonderful to use and you wont have a problem with your game support. Get a iMac for 1200 bux. Its a very good gaming machine. It will run all the games out now very good.

I can get the kernal to crash. I just have to be using a lot of stuff at one time to do it

I can get the kernal to crash. I just have to be using a lot of stuff at one time to do it

Througout the 2 months I've been using OS X, I can glady say I have no idea what a Kernal panic looks like. OS X has never forced me to restart because of a crash and I've never lost any work due to a crash. In fact the only time OS X has crashed on me as when I was playing around with system files I shouldn't be touching and I messed it up. :D

That dll hacking feeling doesn't go away just cause I've got a mac ;)

in the entire time i have had XP installed the only time i have EVER had to restart (not by choice, with the obvious exception of when software requires it) was when i accidentally started using one of my draft themes that was lacking certain vitals... i am not sure exactly went wrong, but i know that i couldn't open anything (i think it had to do with the lack of a start bar, and no desktop icons) after i restarted i remembered how to fix my problem, so i guess the restart wasn't really neccessary...

Luckily working in a computer store I've had the enjoyment of working all three popular OS's (Windows, Linux, and OSX)...

Hardware wise, i don't see the rush to fight in terms of a PC vs. a Mac. I've always been a PC person but I'd easily go for a G4 Tower. They're sweet!

So, let's drop the hardware debate. Btw, Wicked. Klipch will always beat the Logitech. The cheapest I've seen retail klipsche was around $400 for a 4.1 THX (which THX merely means 'It sounds good playing StarWars).

As for software, Let's see who's backing up Macintosh.. ID Software & Blizzard Software just to name two currently hot companies.

Why should one turn to the Mac-Side? Virri? Ha! They are pretty. No more standardized Beige (or Almond if you want the official paint name) -- and I know you can get customized cases but now you are adding cash to what should be a standard offer.

Slow? Bah. Most PCs have 256MBs of memory. I'm easily betting most of the PC people who don't own macs or have access personally have gone out to retail chains and played with those. I guess they also didn't notice in-the-box most Macs have only 128MBs to 256MBs. Of course the demo's are slow! Take a Windows XP machine and only give it 64MBs and wow.. Its just as slow.

Now.. the real reason Vidar doesn't own a mac --- Expandibility.

Granted, what the iMac comes with and the G4 comes with is great for each, I still use external scsi drives and non-usb/firewire devices. With most manufactuers moving to USB and Firewire, I don't see this to be a future problem but in the mean time.. its a pain.

The old biblical debate of PCvs.Mac is dying. Even the OS debate is dying as the two are starting to resemble each other so much its pathetic.

Death to the debate! Get which ever you want based on style. Macs get chicks, PCs get chicks... Decisions decisions...