[Golf] 2005 British Open

Well so far Tiger leads at -6. Unfortunately, I missed his round becuase of school. Anyone who did happen to catch it care to share opinions on his round? By the number alone I'm assuming it was mostly good, despite two bogeys. How was his putter? Just got home and I plan on watching what's left of today's first round. Anyone see a wire-to-wire for Woods? How about Nicklaus? I see he's 3-over so probably no chance of going out in glory with a made cut in his "supposedly" final British Open.

Edited by bigbluepride35

crap, what channel is golf on? i totally forgot it started today....

damn, tiger ripped it up. what are they? 8 hours ahead of west coast?

It's on TNT. Tiger's putting looked pretty good, he made a few nice ones. As of right now, Mark Hensby is the closest at one up. Nicklaus is playing okay, but nothing dramatic from him yet. I was gonna Tivo the whole thing, but ran out of HDD space. Gonna just snag the last round, I guess. Jeez, I'd give anything to watch this one in person... :(

Yeah coverage starts at 7 AM EDT and goes until 7 PM EDT. Today's round ended at 3 and then they started the replay; I'm assuming some kind of highlight show type thing. And maybe I haven't watched enough golf but, is it me or does St. Andrews have ridiculous undulations. It's like no course in the States I've ever seen on TV. I guess that helps make it so special. And saw some Tiger highlights during the later part of the first round and he definitely looked strong with the putter. There was this one put that looked like it broke a complete 90 degrees and he nailed it.

St. Andrews DEFINTELY has a character all its own. The course is the birthplace of golf, and has been around for something like 600 years. It also boasts one of the hardest holes in golf, (17, The Road Hole). I think that's what makes it one of the most coveted wins in the PGA. I dunno, I'd be pretty freakin' intimidated to play it. :) And yeah, I saw that putt, Tiger's certainly ON this year. He's got a huge chance at a second win here, as long as he doesn't start driving into the next area code again. :D

st. andrews is the best man. you gotta avoid the fairway bunkers. it must be so heartbreaking to have to hit backwards out of one of those pothole bunkers...

Yeah I don't recall who it was but some guy was right at the edge of a bunker. He was standing on one leg in the bunker while having the other kneel down on the grass. So awkward. Amazingly, he made a decent shot.

Anyone know why David Toms got DQ'd? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Nevermind - I found it. -

David Toms didn't have a chance to improve on his 74. The 2001 PGA Championship winner DQed himself because he might have hit a moving ball while tapping in for double bogey on the 17th hole Thursday.

"It was just one of those iffy areas about whether or not a rule was violated, and I was the only one that saw it," Toms told the Press Association. "I just felt it was better that I disqualified myself."

wow, that's why I love golf. The only sport with any honor left

No kidding- that had to be hard for him to do. Especially in a major.

Well, THAT gave me goosebumps. When he approached the bridge on 18 I almost cried. What a way to finish, too. ANd sharing the moment with his group and their caddies. Pure class. Farewell, Golden Bear. Glad the commentators let the pictures tell the story for the most part instead of rambling.

man....goosebumps doesn't even begin to describe it. and sinking that putt, i STILL have goosebumps. if i wasn't at work, i would've been in tears....had to fight em back.... :blush: you will be missed, jack.

Anyone know why David Toms got DQ'd? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Nevermind - I found it. -

David Toms didn't have a chance to improve on his 74. The 2001 PGA Championship winner DQed himself because he might have hit a moving ball while tapping in for double bogey on the 17th hole Thursday.

"It was just one of those iffy areas about whether or not a rule was violated, and I was the only one that saw it," Toms told the Press Association. "I just felt it was better that I disqualified myself."

586217691[/snapback]

wow, that's why I love golf. The only sport with any honor left.

586217724[/snapback]

Oh yes. This should have been posted in the "why do you guys like golf so much thread"

There is a story, and I can't remember if it was Ben Hogan or some other player from that era, that reminds me of this. He was in the woods and accidentl ymoved his ball while adressing it. Back then there weren't cameras or insane galleries watching every move. He comes out and announces the stroke penalty to everyone's amazement. At the after interveiws a reporter was commenting on how he should be commended for his honesty and he shot back angrily, "What! Woudl you reward a bank robber for NOT robbing a bank?"

Rules are rules and golf is a sport for gentlemen (and ladies). Cheat5 on golf and you cheat on yourself - you'll never improve.

Anyone else think the TNT camera men aren't that good? There have been way too many tee shots that have ended with the fairway cameras panning back and forth and NOT finding the ball. On one of Tiger's tee shots the last camera shot was in the rough and when they came back he was lining up his second shot from a perfect spot on the fairway. It's happened quite a few times today. More often than I can remember watching either the Masters or the U.S. Open. Am I the only person noticing this? Am I being too picky? Or have other people been a bit bothered by this as well?

Naw, I kind of agree with you. I do have to say, in their defense, it seems quite easy to lose a ball in the rolling fairways and deep, shaggy rough of Andrews. :)

I do have to say, in their defense, it seems quite easy to lose a ball in the rolling fairways and deep, shaggy rough of Andrews. :)

586219745[/snapback]

Ah yes, this is true. lol

Well, no one seems to be mailing it in with Tiger in the lead like they probably would have in 2000. EVERYone seems to be making a run at him. And he's played just average so far today. Still hasn't lost the lead at any point I've seen though.

He held the lead, but barely. I certainly hope he doesn't think this level of play will make it through tomorrow. There's too many guys nipping at his heels to get complacent now. ;) I'd like to see him take a second win, but there's a few other guys I'd like to see in the winner's circle as well.