DSLR recommendations?

Ive been thinking about getting a DSLR maybe. I was looking at the a curcut city today and is it just me or are the Canon menus much easier to navigate. Maybe i am just use to them because i already have a canon, but the Nikos D50 menus were wierd.

BTW i kinda want a 300D

well, i will agree with you. but then, anyone who's owned a coolpix would probably say the nikon's are easier.

thats why i ignore anyone who says xxx is better than xxx becauase of the menu system.

To make things eaiser on yourself, go to the store and hold the cameras. (Check before to make sure they have them) Hold them and compare them. I would have saved myself a lot of headaches if I would have done that instead of just ordering. I had the same situation but I couldn't choose between the 20D and the 350D. I purchased a 350D and I was excited when I got it but within the week I noticed that I didn't like how the body felt as if it was made from cheap plastic and I didn't like how it was pretty small for my hands. I quickly returned it and ordered my 20D. Can't wait for it to come friday :). Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad camera! I'm just a picky person and I like having top of the line stuff ;). Don't count on the lens that comes with the kits to be excellent, though. I'm using my fathers Canon 35-105mm EF lens for the moment until I can go to the store and look at some lenses I have in mind and purchase them. The lens that comes with the kit is okay but you'll know what I mean if you try it out in the store or buy it.

Also, if you don't have to you don't have to buy the two lexars, don't and save that for another time to drop the cost. You'd be better off saving that money for another lens. One will do you good for now unless you really plan on taking a lot of RAW shots.

To make things eaiser on yourself, go to the store and hold the cameras. (Check before to make sure they have them) Hold them and compare them. I would have saved myself a lot of headaches if I would have done that instead of just ordering. I had the same situation but I couldn't choose between the 20D and the 350D. I purchased a 350D and I was excited when I got it but within the week I noticed that I didn't like how the body felt as if it was made from cheap plastic and I didn't like how it was pretty small for my hands. I quickly returned it and ordered my 20D. Can't wait for it to come friday :). Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad camera! I'm just a picky person and I like having top of the line stuff ;). Don't count on the lens that comes with the kits to be excellent, though. I'm using my fathers Canon 35-105mm EF lens for the moment until I can go to the store and look at some lenses I have in mind and purchase them. The lens that comes with the kit is okay but you'll know what I mean if you try it out in the store or buy it.

586244793[/snapback]

He did go to the store, and he found that the 350D did feel small.

and please don't use the phrase "cheap plastic". it's polycarbonate. and it's very very advanced. it's actually has military uses. i've pointed this out before, but i'll say it again. PLASTIC IS BETTER FOR CAMERAS. the "cheap plastic" used in the 350d actually has a higher tensile strength than the magnesium alloy used in more expensive cameras. drop a 350d, it will bounce. very little force exerted on the internals. drop a magnesium cam, and it will land with a thud. now imagine the force transferred to the internals...it's going to be much greater.

plastic is better and lighter. the only thing it may do is make the balance a little uneven...

I never said it is made from "cheap plastic" as you stated, I said it FEELS like cheap plastic. The fact it's advanced doesn't matter to me. This is just a personal opinion. Everyone person that held the camera that I know even pointed that out to me when I was debating between the two cameras. I'm not saying that it being made of a polycarbonate is a bad thing, I just don't like how it feels.

Weight shouldn't be a considern IMO with a dSLR seeing as it will vary on what kind of lens you have attached.

No I understand what you mean :) Like I said its a personal preference. Another reason for me to switch out for the 20D is because it was black. I know cosmetics might be a stupid reason to do that but silly stuff like that is some what important to me. I know that the 350D comes in black but the particular store that I purchase my cameras from at a pretty cheap price didn't have it :(

well it has been proven that black cameras take better pictures..........................

:p

586245275[/snapback]

Racist!!!!!! :rofl:

Go for whichever you like, all will produce results worth shouting for with GOOD lenses, good glas is where image quality comes into it, kit lenses? you can forget it.

You MUST spend at least a quarter of the retail value of the camera body to acheive good quality images.

I shoot with a 350D for my own images and also use a D2x and D70

Pros and Cons, they all have Pros and Cons.

well it has been proven that black cameras take better pictures..........................

586245275[/snapback]

See thats what I told my parents! They never listen!

Yeah, I've downloaded and opened NEF files fine in CS2, just not tried a NEF which encrypts the white balance. I've never thought about the future upgrade either, keeping in mind what Brochaos said "...either way, keep in mind the body is disposable, and you will be tossing it away in 5 years. it's the glass that really counts...", this is too hard :/ My 2 choices are the D70 with standard lens kit or the 350D with the Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 EX DC; both with 2GB Lexar 80x CF, D70s is ?826 and the 350D is ?955, quite a bit difference but then I guess the Sigma lens is better...

586244258[/snapback]

Why dont you try and find a D70 (not D70s)? Its cheaper and has almost all the same features, just a smaller screen and some REALLY minor things lacking here and there. You'd be saving tons of money, and you wouldnt have to worry about the white balance issue.

Pros and Cons, they all have Pros and Cons.

586245302[/snapback]

I think your right. When you look at the big picture, they all take pictures. I haven't owned any DSLR, but im sure which ever one you choose you will be happy with it.

586245275[/snapback]

Actually silver body cameras do :) . When it's extremely hot outside, since black conducts heat it tends to blur pictures more due to some completely unknown reason, but I do know it's true as I was out with a 350D (Black and silver) the other day at around 35ish degrees took pictures and the silver onces seemed sharper, I asked the guy in the store why and well.. I lost him after some technical jargon :p

I have the silver version of the 350D, and although I do wish I had the black, I didn't want to spend another $100-150 for a different color. The silver 350D was $900 with kit lens.

Dazzla, I really recommend trying to find a D70, not D70s. you get a faster Shutter speed, and a better flash sync for .2 inches off the screen. really, thats it.

as to your comment on the Sigma being better than the kit lens for the D70s, no, it isn't by a mile.

I have the silver version of the 350D, and although I do wish I had the black, I didn't want to spend another $100-150 for a different color.  The silver 350D was $900 with kit lens.

586246158[/snapback]

Lovin' the FU :p

Actually silver body cameras do :) . When it's extremely hot outside, since black conducts heat it tends to blur pictures more due to some completely unknown reason, but I do know it's true as I was out with a 350D (Black and silver) the other day at around 35ish degrees took pictures and the silver onces seemed sharper, I asked the guy in the store why and well.. I lost him after some technical jargon :p

586246119[/snapback]

well, sensors perform worse in warmer temperatures. thats basically the gist of it.

Basically dont use your camera in either extreme conditions. Too cold can make your lens crack, too hot can create humidity in your camera and condensation will form.

Well, one of the places this will be used is Australia, I'll be out there for about a month just touring around with some family so hopefully it won't be too hot, anything to protect from that? I've read about protection from dust like putting items in sealable freezer bags inside the main bag etc. Any tips will help as obviously I have no idea with this type of thing.

Ah I dont think you'll have much of a problem. The big problems come into play when theres a mass heat advisory in the area and your temps are going upwards of 40 degrees Celcius. Right now its 35 where I am. Anyways, just dont leave your camera (and lens) in extended periods of time in direct sunlight. This will instantly cause condensation and you wont be able to use your camera for days until it all dries up.

This is probably sounding a little scary but its really really rare.