Why should I download Linux?

I keep hearing from people that Linux is great...but why download it? It doesnt run the same programs as Windows and seems like its much harder to understand. It also doesnt run alot of games and wont run alot of new games that are about out come out. I am mostly a gamer so what would Linux do for me?

Because Linux is and of itself is fun, not to mention you'll learn something new. If you've got the itch to try it out, just do it. Set up a dual-boot system like I do, that way you can have the games and apps you're used to, and when you get frustrated with Linux (which you will, just starting out), you can calm down in something familiar. JThere's tons of documentation out there, and pretty much any irc channel relating to Linux will be somewhat helpful, as long as you don't go in there making an ass of yourself and being a pest. Just try it dude...nothing saying you can't ditch it later if it's not what you're looking for. But at least you'll know instead of wondering. :)

If you have a lot of time on your hands, have mastered windows, and/or if you don't want to play games, then i say go for it. But you will have a learning experience, though.

It's an operating system, and a multi-user server-themed OS to boot. You gain experience from setting up and configuring it. You can do pretty much anything in Linux that you can in Windows, once you figure it out. Only thing missing is games, and you can keep Windows on your system for that.

Originally posted by Morfious

But what will it do for me, or rather what can I make it do?

to make linux do much of anything you will need to use the command line. u may think that you are going back to the days of dos, but if you can master the command line in *nix, then you can bend any form of unix to your command. the command line in *nix is very powerful, but not easy to master.

its not that you can't do anything in linux w/o the command line, it is just that the os was designed with that in mind, plus the gui that you use will not be able to let you do everything you would like to do in linux, hence the need to master the command line. the gui situation is getting better, though, but it is still not as usable through the gui as windows is.

1.5gb will just cut it if you dont install all the options..btw, i've used redhat and mandrake 8.2...HATE it:D :ponder:

Funny how with all the professional Linux programmers out their Apple was still able to produce a way better product for the average user in a much shorter timeframe. "Mac OSX". Linux programmers need to get off their a...s and develop something that can compete with OSX. I tried SUSE 7.3 and what a pain in the a..s that was. Your lucky if you can get all of your hardware to work. Let alone finding decent programs. That is why LINUX will never make it to the desktop. Wallmart better have a good tech support department!!. Your average joe shmo will be lost!.

It's really cool if you want to learn stuff like perl, or running your own webserver, etc. It comes with all that plus a great compiler, powerful shell, many very customizable guis etc. The learning curve is only a downside if your not willing to learn something new.

Originally posted by Kanecorp

1.5gb will just cut it if you dont install all the options..btw, i've used redhat and mandrake 8.2...HATE it:D :ponder:

Hmmm - an OS that is stable, does not need the latest 2Ghz cpu and 1/2Gig of ram to perform at a useable level. Can install everything except the kernel itself without having to reboot the box. The power to do about anything you can think of, without having to drop an extra $400 so you can do some accounting functions, write a letter, make a presentation.

Can use almost any hardware you can think, and if it can't the power is there to make it work yourself - if you have the know how. If the urge is there, you can see every piece of code that makes the whole thing work, etc..

I can see what you hate about it ;)

Oh, is it because you can't drop in the latest $50 game craze, push the shiny button, and watch some pretty stuff happen on the screen as you move your joystick?? - if this is the reason. Buy yourself a xbox or ps2 - and forget about computers altogether.

But If your interested in having some control of what your computer does, and or doesn't do. And having the power to control every aspect of it. Then linux is for you.

It is not quite ready for the shiny button people - but it is getting closer all the time ;) It is to the point that a Monkey could install it and get it up and running with a GUI. But then again, most of the shiny button people are not as smart as a Monkey - heheh ROFL

-BudMan

PS - If you have a spare computer laying there - play with one of the linux, or freebsd, or openbsd, or netbsd, etc.. OS's - maybe you'll like it. What is the worst that could happen - you learn something besides what button to click :)

I guess Apple and the rest of the PC world are complete opposites when it comes to ease of use and GUI looks. Apple brags about it and takes the time to give the computer user stability AND looks, while the rest of the PC world mainly LINUX cares more about pleasing business users who run servers, and cares less about looks and ease of use. Of course good old Microsoft still can't figure out what anyone wants!. Like I said before Apple developed a UNIX based operating system that Linux users can only dream of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. FACT!!!!!!!!. And with less programmers. Look how long it took to get Mozilla 1.0 out the door. Lindows and Mandrake are the biggest jokes out their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The only two operating systems that will ever be out their for the average user are made by Apple and Microsoft!!!. It would take the "Linux community" 50 yrs to come out with an equal!. KDE 3.0 and Gnome 2.0 will never be in the same league as AQUA!. FACT!!!.

Originally posted by jedimasterk

I guess Apple and the rest of the PC world are complete opposites when it comes to ease of use and GUI looks. Apple brags about it and takes the time to give the computer user stability AND looks, while the rest of the PC world mainly LINUX cares more about pleasing business users who run servers, and cares less about looks and ease of use. Of course good old Microsoft still can't figure out what anyone wants!. Like I said before Apple developed a UNIX based operating system that Linux users can only dream of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. FACT!!!!!!!!. And with less programmers. Look how long it took to get Mozilla 1.0 out the door. Lindows and Mandrake are the biggest jokes out their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The only two operating systems that will ever be out their for the average user are made by Apple and Microsoft!!!. It would take the "Linux community" 50 yrs to come out with an equal!. KDE 3.0 and Gnome 2.0 will never be in the same league as AQUA!. FACT!!!.

That's nice. You go push your shiny aqua icons and leave us alone. :)

Well, it's a FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chill it with the exclamation points dude... :D

Originally posted by Knoxca

Well, it's a FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chill it with the exclamation points dude... :D

Naah if I don't agree with it... it can't be fact ;) :p j/k

Ok, here it is, straight from Apples site:

4.4BSD-Lite2, originated in UC Berkeley's Computer Systems Research Group and developed by a large number of contributors:

- FreeBSD, the primary reference platform for Darwin's BSD kernel development.

- NetBSD, the upstream source for a significant portion of Darwin's user-space commands and tools.

- OpenBSD, with its focus on robustness and security and its integrated cryptography, provides OpenSSH for secure remote access.

Just for giggles, you can download the BSD-derived core of OS-X, which is called Darwin. Apple have open-sourced it, and it has an x86 version as well.

Clicky clicky here

Do note, Darwin does not come with Aqua. Apple plainly state on their site that they will not give away Aqua, nor the underlying technology behind it. So no Docky 'fo you.

I need sleep.

Originally posted by karmakillernz

That's nice. You go push your shiny aqua icons and leave us alone. :)

Like windows XP users playing with fluffy blue luna and pretty yellow icons :rolleyes:

OS X is the best implementation of UNIX for the desktop. Full stop. I doubt that linux will hve the ability to install an application my dragging one file to the applications folder any time soon...

If your up for a challenge download gentoo linux. Your basically given source code, and you customize it 100% for your hardware and software preferences. Its bloody fast and stable that way. There's also lots of great gui's and software out there for you to try out. Everything from the gimp, staroffice, xmms, etc.

Originally posted by BudMan

Hmmm - an OS that is stable, does not need the latest 2Ghz cpu and 1/2Gig of ram to perform at a useable level. Can install everything except the kernel itself without having to reboot the box. The power to do about anything you can think of, without having to drop an extra $400 so you can do some accounting functions, write a letter, make a presentation.

Can use almost any hardware you can think, and if it can't the power is there to make it work yourself - if you have the know how. If the urge is there, you can see every piece of code that makes the whole thing work, etc..

I can see what you hate about it ;)

Oh, is it because you can't drop in the latest $50 game craze, push the shiny button, and watch some pretty stuff happen on the screen as you move your joystick?? - if this is the reason. Buy yourself a xbox or ps2 - and forget about computers altogether.

But If your interested in having some control of what your computer does, and or doesn't do. And having the power to control every aspect of it. Then linux is for you.

It is not quite ready for the shiny button people - but it is getting closer all the time ;) It is to the point that a Monkey could install it and get it up and running with a GUI. But then again, most of the shiny button people are not as smart as a Monkey - heheh ROFL

-BudMan

PS - If you have a spare computer laying there - play with one of the linux, or freebsd, or openbsd, or netbsd, etc.. OS's - maybe you'll like it. What is the worst that could happen - you learn something besides what button to click :)

ok, this is what im thinking, i jsut wanna start learning see how it goes, thats why imma put it in a small HD so if i mess around nothing happens, i've installed for other ppl Redhat, Corel and NetBSD so i guess this shouldnt be any problem.

anyways i still have XP on another HD on the same computer and i got school holidays, so that means plenty of time to learn linux

Originally posted by jedimasterk

Funny how with all the professional Linux programmers out their Apple was still able to produce a way better product for the average user in a much shorter timeframe. "Mac OSX". Linux programmers need to get off their a...s and develop something that can compete with OSX. I tried SUSE 7.3 and what a pain in the a..s that was. Your lucky if you can get all of your hardware to work. Let alone finding decent programs. That is why LINUX will never make it to the desktop. Wallmart better have a good tech support department!!. Your average joe shmo will be lost!.

Note that Linux is a freely avalable open source project, most of the distros don't even break even, maybe if they had a big whooping buget like Apple they would do better. You wana fund them?