A good A/V and firewall

I finally have had time to start playing around with vista (yes I am a tester for all of you wondering) and I can't stand the built in firewall.

I tried installing the newest version of kerio which installed fine but when it re-started would never go back into the desktop just sat at the black screen with the build number on it. So that was a no go. I really would like a good one. Any suggestions?

I own Kaspersky, has anyone gotten that to work on vista yet?

No firewalls work.

Most success so far being sygatee, it installs just fine but refuses to run the service.

Least success being kerio, BSOD'ed me every time i rebooted, had to revert.

Zonealarm,outpost,tiny,onecare simply will not install.

I got f-prot working for antivirus though, works just fine :happy:

Interesting.  Can't stand the default.  I wonder since I am running oncecare on XP if I can do it on vista also?  I guess I will try.

586305065[/snapback]

Let us know how this turns out! It sounds promising.

Some have been saying they get 100% cpu useage with it.

586305102[/snapback]

Yes, I get 100% CPU usage and so had to uninstall it !!!

I have found the lastest Kaspersky Beta "KAV.6.0.13.183" to be working. But only the webmail service seems to have problems autostarting. Although u can manually start it.

Also sometimes the File virus scan keeps slooowing down the PC, but then if u ignore files larger than 5Mb, then it seems to run smooth. I think other Antiviruses which run on Windows 2003, should run correctly for Vista as well !

Well I'm running AVG free (Ive never used it before) and it seems to be running fine, and it doesnt slow down the computer.

586313121[/snapback]

After your post, even I tried out AVG and for sometime thought that it was good. But then I thought why not try out the real-world capability of this AV. I know what most AVs do is that they run the zoo tests pretty well. But then I thought I would make something of my own and check its capability. What I did was pack "The NetBus Trojan" with a UPX or PECompact(tried for both) packer and then wrote my own wraper that would execute this packed exe. And OMG, no virus detected by AVG....

In my WinXP I had tried doing this with other AV for my college review of AVs. Even in those I found that by doing this I could cheat McAfee, NOD32, BitDefender, Norton (many others it didnt detect), and also my fav PC-Cillin 2005 was beaten...... One that detected the packed virus was "KAV 2006 beta" and since then have been a fan !! :yes: