Help on unistalling Vista....

Hi

I've recently installed Vista but realised that my computer is too slow for it (as its only 256mb ram)

Does anyone know how i can return it back to the XP which i used to have?

Do i have to install XP again? (I tried that but the CD wouldn't let me)

Please help

Thanks

you will need to boot from the cd,

restart your pc with the XP disk in the machine, go through the setup and format the drive (ALL your data will be lost and reinstall xp)

Woah

Can we get back to the thread please

Issn't there an easier way

Surely i don't have to delete all my files just to get back to XP?

586308110[/snapback]

yes. MS does not allow you to "downgrade" your OS. Not a supported feature. As stated prior you will need to pop a bootable XP cd in and reinstall from there. Back up your data if you have anything important.

Woah

586308110[/snapback]

No offense, Nimabaniamer, but how does someone who can get their hands on a Beta of the next Windows OS not know about how to get it off their computer, or not know better than to install it over their primary Windows box?

Did someone give this to you, and you didn't realize what it would take to run it?

BigMac

[Thread Cleaned]

Windows Vista Beta 1 is for authorized beta testers only.

If you want to know where to download it from then the answer is MSDN.

Woah

586308110[/snapback]

Most people create a partition, so then you keep windows xp on another partition. Then of Vista goes wrong just format partition and re install it.

You COULD reinstall XP without formatting, but then your hard drive would be a mess. But once you do install XP you can delete the Vista startup option and delete Vista's windows folder. I wouldnt do that though, because I hate my HD to be a mess. I like my stuff to be nice and tiddy in my computer. But you might be different, so give it a try. If not, then use Partition Magic 8 to split ur HD into 2 (Without loosing data) and put all your important stuff on the backup drive, then you can format the other drive and reinstall XP. Once your done you can move all your files back to the main partition, and used Partition Magic 8 again to put the two back together to make one.

And also to anyone whos not a beta tester for Vista and has all these problems, REMEMBER, dont install Vista as the main OS. :rolleyes:

Its not stable yet, you will come by tons of problems and if you just wanna play with it then dont bother using it. If you wanna risk it though, make a secondary partition or get a second hard drive and dual boot it. Like that if you ever get a problem like this, you can just format that other drive and delete the startup option from your boot.ini. :yes:

Hi

I've recently installed Vista but realised that my computer is too slow for it (as its only 256mb ram)

Does anyone know how i can return it back to the XP which i used to have?

Do i have to install XP again? (I tried that but the CD wouldn't let me)

Please help

Thanks

586308039[/snapback]

how did you install vista? If it was a clean install, then the boot manager should have the options to get back to xp

Actually, I have 2 partitions. One is my main one with Windows XP SP2, and the other one is a RECOVERY partition. If I install Vista on my XP partition, and want to go back to XP, all I have to do is launch System Recovery from when I start up my computer and BAM! back to XP. Guess what, once I recovered XP using this recovery partition(it is by HP), I was in my OS and my programs were still there! Nothing was deleted. So can anyone tell me if it is alright to put Longhorn/Vista on my XP OS because I have a recovery partition?

Actually, I have 2 partitions. One is my main one with Windows XP SP2, and the other one is a RECOVERY partition. If I install Vista on my XP partition, and want to go back to XP, all I have to do is launch System Recovery from when I start up my computer and BAM! back to XP. Guess what, once I recovered XP using this recovery partition(it is by HP), I was in my OS and my programs were still there! Nothing was deleted. So can anyone tell me if it is alright to put Longhorn/Vista on my XP OS because I have a recovery partition?

586311591[/snapback]

It would be better to use a programme like partition magic to create a new partition and install vista on that. Then if you want to uinstall vista, all you have to do is boot into windows XP and delete the contents of your vista partition.