Nvidia vs. ATI -- The Next Generation

Vince Freeman of Hardware Central takes a gander into todays video card market. Is it coming to life? With all the screamin goin on as of late, I would think so. Here's the begining to get you going, I know some of you will want to continue reading :)

For a while there, the graphics-card market was getting a bit boring. We had Nvidia's GeForce3 sitting alone at the top of the heap, with a correspondingly high price tag. Nvidia also had a big entry-level winner in the GeForce2 MX, while other GeForce 2s slugged it out with ATI's Radeon cards in the midrange. Add a few fringe players or dark horses like the Kyro II, and you had the market pegged.

This scenario has changed significantly over the past month or two. First, ATI made waves by announcing its new Radeon 7500 and 8500, which pushed the envelope at both the mid- and high-priced levels. Then Nvidia fired the next salvo, revamping and renaming its graphics accelerator chips with the new Titanium line -- the GeForce2 Ti, GeForce3 Ti 200, and GeForce3 Ti 500. Suddenly the video landscape has shifted, competition is once again rampant, and it's a great opportunity for anyone looking to update his or her PC's graphics card.

Read More

have you noticed however that ati have made some modifications to the new Radeon 8500 and it actually runs quicker than the Nvidia Cards - what i mean is memory / clock speed 275/275 as opposed to nvidia gf3 ti = 250/250 :) I admit they've fiddled with their drivers to optimise them for certain games but I suspect Nvidia wouldn't even admit they do that even if they do.